Salary vs hourly

30andout

Seems like we are having more salary people post here, does that mean there is unrest there? What do some of you think about the current state of UPS.

Thebrowntruth

Seems like we are having more salary people post here, does that mean there is unrest there? What do some of you think about the current state of UPS.

Well lets see lower raises, lower MIP, higher benefit costs. Then sprinkle in wage rates a buck or two above minimum wage levels for the part-timers that become qualified if they a.) have a pulse or b.) can find there way to work 3 of 5 days...........No worries here, all is well. Mike's running the ship and that iceberg ahead is only an icecube. If i keep my head in the sand i never see any problems....'nuff said

ups_vette

b.) "can find there way to work 3 of 5 days"

Looks like browntruth also had his head buried in the sand while in school. He missed the class on the difference between their, there, and they're.

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back

Looks like browntruth also had his head buried in the sand while in school. He missed the class on the difference between their, there, and they're.

lmfao agreed...btw, you paper pushers shouldn't get paid more than a senior part-timer in the first place...we do the work, all you do is go around like the gestapo getting people off the clock

tieguy

Banned
lmfao agreed...btw, you paper pushers shouldn't get paid more than a senior part-timer in the first place...we do the work, all you do is go around like the gestapo getting people off the clock

which usually requires a 200 volt cattle prod when getting a senior part timer off the clock. Whats the point ? Feeling inferior because someone told you your johnson was a little on the small side? Trying to convince yourself you are more important than some other group of people in the world?

Okay , Okay senior part timer you're my hero because you have reached the pinnacle of your career. There feel better now?

dodptsup

Hi everyone,I'm new to these forums, and since I am a P/T local sort sup I figured I'd start here.
Background: 11 yrs at ups, 5 as a pre-loader, and am in my sixth yr as a local sort sup. I work in a small (19-22 runs) center, and am glad to see that every place else seems just as screwed up as we are. Our manager is the cheapest man alive, on-road sups are like Gestapo officers, and I hate em all! Actually, i'm suprised I got promoted, cuz although I did my job as a preloader, and did it well, I dont kiss ass, and in fact did and still do try to find ways to buck the system any chance I can. Apparently my body rejected the brown blood infusion.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
dod-----your manager is not the cheapest man alive---he is however now held accountable for all expenses in the center.The Center manager used to have some flexibility as to money spent on center activities----because UPS is in a cost cutting mode, everyone and their brother is now looking at money spent! I have seen managers tick up for their people and justify spending money for recognition--which normally encourages people to keep doing a good job.

If youhave a chance--grab the Manager--tell him/her that you want a TLA---do breakfast/lunch--let them know how you feel--face to face--mano/mano!!

You are in a position where PPH are everything

hoser

Industrial Slob
So if supervisors come onto this forum intended for all UPS employees, they're disgruntled?

I came here to learn more about the organization and what the disgruntled feel, not out of disdain for my job...

30andout

So if supervisors come onto this forum intended for all UPS employees, they're disgruntled?

I came here to learn more about the organization and what the disgruntled feel, not out of disdain for my job...
Not the point intended, its just some of the comments I have read by supervision on this board.

Thebrowntruth

Thanks for the correction to my typo vette. Good to see some things will never change. You seem unable to discuss any issue in today's terms or face today's realities. You can ignore all the issues yet find time to correct a typo. That is terrific, thanks for another valuable contribution.

N

NWUPSER

I was a P/T sup for 6yrs and have been driving for they last couple. During my time I've seen friend/T sups and managers lose more and more flexibility in the operations. They seem to be micromanaged more and more, like being told "you will work this many people" and if they work too many their job gets threatened. They end up working 12-14 hours a day to clean up the messes that happen because they are not given the tools and staffing to run a successfull operation. Another downside to friend/T management is you can be transefered to a different operation at any time. Could be on the preload one day and on the night sort tomorrow. Tough to have a family in that atmosphere. Also, I feel like the pay between friend/T sup and driver are pretty competetive when you calculate total hours worked. I've been asked to put my full-time letter in, but I just don't couldn't work in those conditions. Apperently I'm not the only one that feels the grass in greener on this side, in my area a friend in HR tells me that they can't get any P/T sups that go driving to put their letter in for friend/T management.

Can't speak for everyone, just my opinion.

dodptsup

dod-----your manager is not the cheapest man alive---he is however now held accountable for all expenses in the center.The Center manager used to have some flexibility as to money spent on center activities----because UPS is in a cost cutting mode, everyone and their brother is now looking at money spent! I have seen managers tick up for their people and justify spending money for recognition--which normally encourages people to keep doing a good job.

If youhave a chance--grab the Manager--tell him/her that you want a TLA---do breakfast/lunch--let them know how you feel--face to face--mano/mano!!

You are in a position where PPH are everything
His being cheap has nothing to do with how UPS watches his back now. He has been the same for the past 6 yrs he has been here. He runs his personal life the same. Just recently he was commenting on how he only allows his wife to spend $150.00 for Christmas on each kid. He says any more is a waste of money and just spoils them. And by the way, I have had many 1 on 1 talks with him, he nods his head, smiles and then just carries on, business as usual. He always tells people as he screws them, it's not personal, it's business, but his actions affect everyones personal lives.

trickpony1

Thanks for the correction to my typo vette. Good to see some things will never change. You seem unable to discuss any issue in today's terms or face today's realities. You can ignore all the issues yet find time to correct a typo. That is terrific, thanks for another valuable contribution.

I couldn't have said it better myself!
You all go easy on Vette.
Every time he posts he seems to get his plow cleaned.:lol: :lol:

hoser

Industrial Slob
Not the point intended, its just some of the comments I have read by supervision on this board.
Gotcha :wink:

People are more likely to vent about negative aspects of their jobs rather than express their pleasure with the company. And if they do the latter, this forum has a culture of shooting that person down, telling them they're wrong and they have no experience because of their 4-year senority, and ensuring that they do not try to get back up.

So that's why we're seeing more disgruntled people, IMO.

Union mentality.

ups_vette

Dr Trickpony.....I see you've had your pint of whiskey for today. Do you beat your wife before or after you get drunk, or while you're drinking? You da man Dr Trickster!!!

ups_vette

browntruth......You know it wasn't a typo. You just don't know and understand the difference between their, there, and they're, and which one to use to convey your thought.. But then that's what happens when you have your head in the sand all the time, or wherever else it is you have your head all the time.

Since I retired I was secure in knowing that my investment was left in the hands of a management team with the skills, knowledge, and dedication to have UPS continue to prosper.
However, after reading your posts, I see that you are not one of those managers that justified that confidence.

Thebrowntruth

browntruth......You know it wasn't a typo. You just don't know and understand the difference between their, there, and they're, and which one to use to convey your thought.. But then that's what happens when you have your head in the sand all the time, or wherever else it is you have your head all the time.

Since I retired I was secure in knowing that my investment was left in the hands of a management team with the skills, knowledge, and dedication to have UPS continue to prosper.
However, after reading your posts, I see that you are not one of those managers that justified that confidence.

In other words you cashed out when the stock went public and ran. Good enough, good fortune even comes to people like you. However, the fact remains that all is not well. Instead of counting our investments some of us are still busy facing the challenges we have today.

Interesting that its only the management team that you feel will continue to allow UPS to prosper. I still wait for your first response that contains ANY thoughts on addressing what we face today. But I am certain your limited thought process will handcuff you to simply addressing typo's.

ups_vette

In other words you cashed out when the stock went public and ran. Good enough, good fortune even comes to people like you. However, the fact remains that all is not well. Instead of counting our investments some of us are still busy facing the challenges we have today.

Interesting that its only the management team that you feel will continue to allow UPS to prosper. I still wait for your first response that contains ANY thoughts on addressing what we face today. But I am certain your limited thought process will handcuff you to simply addressing typo's.

browntruth.....Once again you show a complete lack of understanding of the global enconony UPS operates in today. Because you've reached the height of your career as a FT preload sup, with no prospect for advancement due to your lack of skills, you continue to critisize management. But then I would expect nothing less from a person with your limited skills, knowledge, and dedication.

Another flawed judgement you have made is that I "cut out and ran" when the stock went public That is just another example of your lack of knowledge on the subject you express your views. UPS stock went public in Nov. 1999. I retired in May of 1995 when I reached the early retirement age of 55, having completed over 32 years of service. That was 4 1/2
years BEFORE UPS went public.

As for your continued excuse of having a "typo" instead of admitting your lack of knoowledge of the English language, you once again show the readership the reasons you continue to remain a FT sup with no prospects for advancement.

Who is it that you believe will allow UPS to prosper in the future in a global economy if not management? Do you believe some driver or preloader will be the one working with the Minister of Transportation in some foreign country for landing rights? Who will negotiate with the CEO of a logistics company UPS is interested in buying, a part time clerk? Who will project our future needs for aircraft if not management?
UPS has the hardest working, most professional, and dedicated hourly employees of any organization in the world.
However, if not for the management team charting the course,
most of those hard working, professional, and dedicated employees would not be working for UPS.

30andout

I am a supervisor and im not disgruntled. Changes in MIP, etc are just a sign of the times. Corporations change as the landscape changes.
Funny, reading some of your other posts doesn't sound that way. You must just be jealous of lowly, hourly, union people.