Sales Lead Issues

over9five

Staff member
OK, I've put in several leads and just checked them at upsers.com.

Two of my leads say "Number on Do Not Call list".

These people GAVE me their number and agreed to be called. Doesn't that mean we can call them???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The phone number may very well be on the Do Not Call list but if they gave you permission to have UPS call that means we can call. Print out your sales lead page, circle or highlight the leads in question, hand it to your BD people and ask them to personally follow up on them. Go back to upsers early next week to see if any progress has been made. If the lead has been closed simply ask BD to reopen it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow, just clicked on the "control number". There's lots of info to see.

I will bring that up with BD.

It used to be the information given online was very limited but now you can track all of the work done on the lead. You will see that your leads have not been worked on by your local BD but by folks at the district level. They are required to see if the phone number is on the DNC list. That is why I suggested asking your local BD folks to help you, especially on the two Do Not Call leads.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
It does not matter what you do, they will screw you out of any points you earn anyway. Why waste your time!!

babboo25

Banned
What a waste of my time. I have turned in 6 in the past year. Followed the progress on upsers.com. All of them keep getting re-assigned to different people. 3 of them atleast 5 different times. Some of them have a scheduled meeting 3-4 weeks away. Are the sales reps overworked? Sure seems like it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What a waste of my time. I have turned in 6 in the past year. Followed the progress on upsers.com. All of them keep getting re-assigned to different people. 3 of them atleast 5 different times. Some of them have a scheduled meeting 3-4 weeks away. Are the sales reps overworked? Sure seems like it.

Print out your sales lead page on upsers and sit down with your BD people and relay your frustration to them. If you don't get satisfaction there get with your center manager.

Raw

Raw Member
A customer approached me 2 weeks ago to start her as a shipping customer so I put in a sales lead and just the other day she said she had to go to the post office to ship because no one from UPS called her! :sad-little:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You're right. Why don't you print this out and mail it to one of your laid off co-workers?

I have put in the effort numerous times only to watch the b/d team or the phone sales team completely screw it up and lose the customer to fed-ex. When DHL went out of here I had a couple customers that needed someone to pick up the packages they were shipping DHL. I submit the lead, we wait 3 weeks to contact them and their already shipping fed-ex, and before you tell me what I should have done, I talked directly to my b/d small account rep, and told him all they needed was to be Set up as a daily pickup and given an account number and still nothing was done. Not that it would matter, they have completely screwed up every account they have tried to set up for me anyway.

Just tell them to go to UPS.com and skip the sales team altogether, its much easier.

By the way UPSTATE I meant it does not matter what you do about the lead you submitted, they will screw you out of the points anyway. I am in no way saying don,t try to sell the business. Please do not jump to conclusions.

I have put in the effort numerous times only to watch the b/d team or the phone sales team completely screw it up and lose the customer to fed-ex. When DHL went out of here I had a couple customers that needed someone to pick up the packages they were shipping DHL. I submit the lead, we wait 3 weeks to contact them and their already shipping fed-ex, and before you tell me what I should have done, I talked directly to my b/d small account rep, and told him all they needed was to be Set up as a daily pickup and given an account number and still nothing was done. Not that it would matter, they have completely screwed up every account they have tried to set up for me anyway.

Just tell them to go to UPS.com and skip the sales team altogether, its much easier.

By the way UPSTATE I meant it does not matter what you do about the lead you submitted, they will screw you out of the points anyway. I am in no way saying don,t try to sell the business. Please do not jump to conclusions.

I can understand the frustration....that's why most of the pkgs on fdx trucks used to be in brown trucks. I would go further. It looks like you have gotten no satisfaction at the district level. Send a letter to corporate about losing business due to an ineffective DISTRICT MGMT OR BD DEPT. Just sign the letter a concerned UPS DRIVER. You will find that Districts' hate spending their time answering concerns from corporate, maybe, just maybe, something will get done. It just takes one letter falling into the hands of the right person. I may be out of sync here but, I never submitted any leads because of points, I was always more concerned about job security for myself and others at UPS.

over9five

Staff member
It does not matter what you do, they will screw you out of any points you earn anyway. Why waste your time!!

I have no interest in points or gifts. I want more pick-ups.

They also pay me to talk to the customers AND to fill out the sales lead.

And yes, more volume = more jobs.

browniehound

I have no interest in points or gifts. I want more pick-ups.

They also pay me to talk to the customers AND to fill out the sales lead.

And yes, more volume = more jobs.

I agree with you Over. I have no desire for points or gifts. I look for volume to increase my pick-up log and reduce my delivery stops. I also look for volume for the simple fact of job security.

I would much rather spend the afternoon doing pick-ups than shagging house-calls. Its just easier and the more volume you have on your truck the sooner mangement will want you back to process it.

I'm pressured all the time for sales leads. Earlier in my career I ignored it. Now that I'm a little older and more relaxed, I look for leads. When I see Fed-Ex packages, I ask for the packages.
Most times (actually all times) I get turned down. These companies use Fed-Ex for a reason and the reason is certainly not because the UPS driver asks for the volume.

I bring this up because I get listed as a driver without a producing lead and I actually get offended by it. My "core" route is an industrial drag of about 20 companies that haven't changed in the last decade and many house calls. Believe me, I'd rather enter producing leads and subsitute house calls with pick-ups. Its just not happenening. The same companies are there and they are going to be there occupying these buildings for the forseable future.

I "GOT NOTHING" when it comes to sales leads. I get it, the company wants me to use my relationship with the customer to ease the BD peoiple into asking for their volume.

Problem is, nothing is out there for any carrier.

Now, its my belief UPS is going to just fine in the future as long as the economy of our great country is growing if I put in sales leads or not.

Again, I'm always looking for volume and if we all did no opportunity would pass us by...
I am fully aware that we need to grow the business. I want to retire someday and that will only be possible with a strong UPS.

browniehound

Has anyone read the latest issue of Inside UPS? There is an article about a driver in the NY district that hasn't paid for gas in years because of money generated from sales leads. I guess this guy takes it to another level. Things like calling a company if he recieves a personal item from another carrier and asking for the volume or just doing research online for other companies. It was pretty interesting.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

This is the bottom line. Ever since last year when the sales lead incentive program cut back almost entirely, it is obvious that UPS will do anything to cash in on a lead and leave the employee out. I've had it happen personally with leads. Even a manger from bd admitted to me it was "not a perfect system", and anyone with experience knows what this really means..

upsgrunt

Has anyone read the latest issue of Inside UPS? There is an article about a driver in the NY district that hasn't paid for gas in years because of money generated from sales leads. I guess this guy takes it to another level. Things like calling a company if he recieves a personal item from another carrier and asking for the volume or just doing research online for other companies. It was pretty interesting.

That guy gets to his center at like 6:30 a.m. to "look around" the cages and seek information on sales leads. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sales leads and growing the business, but my time is worth a little bit. It might be cheaper for him to just pay for his own gas if you figure in the hours he is putting in without getting paid.

A couple years ago I submitted several leads. When I had our sales lead guy check on them a couple of weeks later, they all had this date listed as 'Next Scheduled Contact Date':
3:30 PM December 24.

Think about that date. Who is working on the evening of Christmas Eve? Nobody. Why was that day selected? Because someone in BD wasn't doing their job (or being extremely lazy) and just put any old date in a required field.

Why is everyone else at UPS allowed to be so lousy at their jobs except me. I'm not talking about loaders/sorters/ramp employees/drivers etc. I am talking about managers, supervisors, PAS staff, BD, and whoever is responsible for making sure we have paper towels in the rest room so we can wipe off some of the grime before going home to hug our kids.

Enforcerx

What BD doesn't realizie is the drivers are the eyes and ears and backbone of the company. My sales leads were being entered as lead not sold. Then the next month was sold by a acct executive. Another one i bugged guys in shipping and receiving for 4 months to get the volume away from Fedx ground. We did get the acct 6 months later, i talked to the feeder driver he has been picking up, up to 30 pallets a week and i didnt see a dime! I wonder if Fed X would pay more for our sales leads than ups will?