Same tactics,less ability

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This would be a fair statement but I think another reason is that they simply don't have a life outside of UPS.

That is a very common reason and part of the reason I gave for my not retiring yet.
It is better to work than to retire and die within a couple of years from depression related issues ... this happens more often than people realize and it usually happens to those people who feel they are retiring no matter what.
It is almost always men and of the ones that do not die, it is because they go back to work within 6 months of retirement because they realize they are slipping into depression.

Reference: Retiring Happy, Wild and Free by Ernie j. Zelinski for backup for the above statements.

UPSSOCKS

That is a very common reason and part of the reason I gave for my not retiring yet.
It is better to work than to retire and die within a couple of years from depression related issues ... this happens more often than people realize and it usually happens to those people who feel they are retiring no matter what.
It is almost always men and of the ones that do not die, it is because they go back to work within 6 months of retirement because they realize they are slipping into depression.

Reference: Retiring Happy, Wild and Free by Ernie j. Zelinski for backup for the above statements.

Nicely put Hoax. It was a joy to read. However I have two years to go and I will try not to slip into depression.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
After 38 years, i've seen it all. Especially in the last 4 years. Upper management has no clue but expects you to be able to figure out why they can plan,implement and maintain operations planning that they themselves could never do. Mis communication,lack of communication..a hugh dividing line now between full time operations management and managers and division managers.
Desk top statistical review of how to plan an operation but no real idea of how to do it..just a report on why you continue to fail, this philosophy is either planned or is based on a total lack of skill at their level.

They want old school ups management commitment @ a fraction of the salary and incentives. Buried in a pile of repetitive and mundane reports and analysis that look good on a computer screen, but do not reflect actual conditions. But dont worry, your employee profile reflects your numbers basing the accuracy on half truths and suspect planning. Its the biggest shell game i 've ever seen when you remove the culture from the board room, you get yes men and executives far removed from the bottom line. We are now a scared,flawed management culture. Everything looks great @ the front door, but the inside of the building is breaking down

partners ? Is that a term that's used now

they bailed out the teamsters to the tune of 6 billion, and financed the deal on the backs of their management group..

They expect you to have the same desire and motivation at considerably less pay with more hours and longer days all year long
you are told, or it is implied that you are not needed, but they dont want to pay you what you earned via a buyout to have you leave,

hey. We are in trouble. We are rapidly becoming a management group of doing "exactly" what we are told. Planned stagnation because of poor management leadership. Unbelievable.

You think its screwed up now, wait till 1 Jan 2011, they are going to take it to a whole new level next year. Can't hit the number now? You are not going to hit it then or the new one you are about to get... Your first and second paragraph are spot on.

rod

Retired 22 years

\

I know 14 guys (13 drivers and one mechanic) that have retired from my old center. The longest any of them worked was 31 years. Only one has died (cancer) and unless they are really good at hiding their feelings I would say none of them suffer from depression. We get together at least once a month for breakfast and everyone of them seems to be enjoying the hell out of retirement. I don't mean to come off as a smart-ass but is this depression thing in the management side caused by them not being able to be the "boss" around their spouse like they are used to being at work?

deleted9

I agree with you 100%..Slowly but surely SS Big Brown is taking on water and the people at the helm have no clue. The new show"Undercover Boss" would let them see the REAL workings that they either don't wan't to see or They believe in the Tooth Fairy:surprised:

No clue is true........ the present CEO never worked from the bottom up, came into the company with a silver spoon.

deleted9

eference: Retiring Happy, Wild and Free by Ernie j. Zelinski for backup for the above statements.

There is life after UPS, a good life actually, i keep busy every day and if i want to do nothing one day i do it. I am not judging or questioning anyones decisions, its a personal decision, but in my mind there are only 3 reasons not to retire when eligible 1) Financial - did not plan or cannot afford to, 2) No life outside of work - no hobbies, enjoyments, or friends 3) a person likes and enjoys their job.