Saturday Air Driver vs. FT Driver

Is it best to start off as a Saturday Air Driver or just go straight for a FT position. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback that Saturday Air is the way to go if you want to succeed with a FT position instead of overwhelming yourself going right into FT and not having any Saturday Air experience.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It will certainly help. We had a guy who did Saturday air go FT a couple months ago and he started running scratch in no time. He knew what he needed to do with the DIAD, how the vehicles drove, all of that. It's not going to make a world of difference. But it does help quite a bit.

Any experience you can gain will help you. Experience with the DIAD and driving a package car in traffic.
Thanks for the response car washer. You're always giving positive responses. It is common sense to gain experience. Everybody tells me that if you go right into FT classes, they throw everything at you and a lot of people tend to get disqualified and thrown into Saturday air.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

verybody tells me that if you go right into FT classes, they throw everything at you and a lot of people tend to get disqualified and thrown into Saturday air.
They don't really throw everything at you. It's just that you aren't used to it. So it is a lot to take on at once.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It's best to get hired off the street as a casual and become a FT driver within a year.
4b58b7142beeb920148b985a66340c73b2d2d74481904fd204c4504422e1d2ed.jpg

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
So Saturday is the way to go for sure

I went the other route (straight from a PT twilight hub employee to FT driving). It was tough at first because I had no experience with anything that had to do with driving, I didn't even know the preload. It's tough, but still doable. They'll start you on a training route and that first week will be nerve racking, especially when you start going out by yourself. But after the 2nd week you'll feel a lot more at ease once you get the routine down. Once you qualify and get the experience to feel comfortable with the job, then the hard part becomes getting thrown on blind routes over and over. Luckily at my hub I've only been thrown out cold 7 times or so, and the other 10 routes I did I had the liberty of having a sup with me for the first day. Then after about a year or so you feel like you can handle anything they throw at you. At that point the hard part is simply waiting for your progression to be done so you can start making some real money (top rate).

So yeah, you can go the Saturday air route and kind of ease yourself into driving. But going straight into FT is certainly doable. Looking back if I had the choice I'd still go straight to FT because I got 3 solid years of experience whereas if I did cover driving I'd have gotten less experience and wouldn't feel as comfortable with the job as I do now.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
saturday air is fun, and it's generally easy since the traffic patterns are different than weekdays. However, it's not really that crucial in becoming a FT driver. You get a bit of DIAD help and time on-road, which doesn't hurt. Most of the learning curve for FT driving comes with learning del points, consignee names, and so on...things you generally won't deal with for Saturday air.

I went the other route (straight from a PT twilight hub employee to FT driving). It was tough at first because I had no experience with anything that had to do with driving, I didn't even know the preload. It's tough, but still doable. They'll start you on a training route and that first week will be nerve racking, especially when you start going out by yourself. But after the 2nd week you'll feel a lot more at ease once you get the routine down. Once you qualify and get the experience to feel comfortable with the job, then the hard part becomes getting thrown on blind routes over and over. Luckily at my hub I've only been thrown out cold 7 times or so, and the other 10 routes I did I had the liberty of having a sup with me for the first day. Then after about a year or so you feel like you can handle anything they throw at you. At that point the hard part is simply waiting for your progression to be done so you can start making some real money (top rate).

So yeah, you can go the Saturday air route and kind of ease yourself into driving. But going straight into FT is certainly doable. Looking back if I had the choice I'd still go straight to FT because I got 3 solid years of experience whereas if I did cover driving I'd have gotten less experience and wouldn't feel as comfortable with the job as I do now.
Thank you for your response. It is very motivating and it gives me some hope of pursuing my driving career, :-)