Saturday air driving break

cudwortho

Long story short....If we get done early delivering on Saturday and have time to kill before doing Saturday pick ups we would go back to center or if some of us lived closed enough we would go home or find a spot offering free wi-fi & play on phones and get paid for this time. Sometimes I would get done at 10am before I had to start doing picks ups at noon. Now management says we need to code all that time as break so now we would not get paid for it. The whole day usually only takes around 6-7 hours. I was informed years ago all we had to do was take a 10min paid break and that was it. Now any & all down time between our last stop and our 1st pick up must be coded as break time. Is this correct? If so Saturdays just got a wee bit worse to do.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Long story short....If we get done early delivering on Saturday and have time to kill before doing Saturday pick ups we would go back to center or if some of us lived closed enough we would go home or find a spot offering free wi-fi & play on phones and get paid for this time. Sometimes I would get done at 10am before I had to start doing picks ups at noon. Now management says we need to code all that time as break so now we would not get paid for it. The whole day usually only takes around 6-7 hours. I was informed years ago all we had to do was take a 10min paid break and that was it. Now any & all down time between our last stop and our 1st pick up must be coded as break time. Is this correct? If so Saturdays just got a wee bit worse to do.

No time spent waiting for a pickup is not break . They can keep you from driving off area to wait for those pick ups but not force you to take break

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many stops are you doing that you are done at 10 am on a Saturday?

Sounds like you have too many drivers on road.

cudwortho

How many stops are you doing that you are done at 10 am on a Saturday?

Sounds like you have too many drivers on road.

We only have 2 drivers for Saturday, maybe 30-35 stops all together, but several are early am. Plus 1 of us has to run to the airport and drop off all the air pick ups. I don't always get done at 10am. On average I would say I finish up by 11:15am.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
So if you are usually done at 1115 and your pickups start at noon. Why not take a lunch to avoid being on the radar. That driving off route to "play on your phone" would never fly in my center. Saturdays vary for guys here but if its a slower Saturday they take a 30 min lunch just to avoid what your going through. As we get closer to peak Saturdays will have no down time.

Brisket

We only have 2 drivers for Saturday, maybe 30-35 stops all together, but several are early am. Plus 1 of us has to run to the airport and drop off all the air pick ups. I don't always get done at 10am. On average I would say I finish up by 11:15am.

You must be in a very small center, it's about 18 to as much as 22 in my center on Saturday . They have separate ppl to do picks.

Last edited:

cudwortho

Talked to a union rep about this matter, he says they can't force me to take anymore then my 10min paid break, but can force a 50min lunch break. Any down time after that is fine. I assumed you didn't have to take a lunch break if you weren't on the clock for more then 8 hrs, but I guess not.

hyena

Have you read article 40?

Brisket

So if you are usually done at 1115 and your pickups start at noon. Why not take a lunch to avoid being on the radar. That driving off route to "play on your phone" would never fly in my center. Saturdays vary for guys here but if its a slower Saturday they take a 30 min lunch just to avoid what your going through. As we get closer to peak Saturdays will have no down time.

Where I am there is almost none now! Lol ... lots of deliveries on Saturday for us.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you are FT T-S, they can force you to take a lunch (between 3.5 and 5th hour here in NE), but all other time is paid. Also can force to use your breaks if you have them, if it's within the window of time. "dead time" is not your fault or problem. They tried this with me around 6 years ago, when I was FT 22.3 air and it didn't work out too well for UPS.

Ed O'Ryan

Do you really think you should get paid to play games on your phone? Good luck taking that to your Union rep.
We have to do porter work, during any down time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What you do is send a message that you have finished delivering and want to know what you should do until you start the pickups. Put the ball in their court.

Do not take it upon yourself to find someplace to kill time.

cudwortho

Have you read article 40?

I read into article 40. Just to clarify I work M-friend part time plus some Saturdays.

(friend) Break Periods

(1) Full-time air drivers shall receive the same provisions for lunch and/or breaks as regular drivers receive in their Local Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

(2) This provision is not intended to give less than eight (8) hour air drivers or less than eight (8) hour combination air drivers more than one (1) break unless specifically stated otherwise in the Local Supplement, Rider or Addendum.