Saturday Ground at your Hub yet?

oldupsman

The bid sheets at my hub are looking now for Tuesday - Saturday ground drivers
I hope UPS hemmorhages money hand over fist attempting to roll this nationwide. If I lose my weekends off, I'm going to be :censored3:
Yep, and no one is signing them (obvious).

Sorry guys, but I totally disagree. I'd be very much inclined as a senior driver to sign a Tue-Sat bid.
First of all Sat won't be near anything like a normal work day. You'll be delivering alot less stops and very very
few pickups if any. Most likely you'll only be working 8 and going home at 430. That's plenty of time to
get home in time for Sat night plans.

And then you get Mon off. A good day to get things done because everybody else will be open. And take a long
weekend once in awhile with a Tues off. Alot of times they're cutting trips Mon. anyway and you end up getting
extra work. I'd bid that in a heartbeat.

Cgs1226

Good insight Old Man. Just dislike that it's going to get in the way of my Saturday gig. But at my hub atleast none of the senior drivers are going to bid on it. But at the same time complaining that their Monday will have way more extra stuff cut to them since Saturday will eliminate other routes.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Another easy money OT day, delivering res all day with a UPS store and post office sprinkled in. Hope you guys don't start ground anytime soon, keep those trailers lite.

ManInBrown

Sorry guys, but I totally disagree. I'd be very much inclined as a senior driver to sign a Tue-Sat bid.
First of all Sat won't be near anything like a normal work day. You'll be delivering alot less stops and very very
few pickups if any. Most likely you'll only be working 8 and going home at 430. That's plenty of time to
get home in time for Sat night plans.

And then you get Mon off. A good day to get things done because everybody else will be open. And take a long
weekend once in awhile with a Tues off. Alot of times they're cutting trips Mon. anyway and you end up getting
extra work. I'd bid that in a heartbeat.
I hear what you're saying but I do not like the thought of browning up on a Saturday. I've never had a job in my life that required me to work weekends. And I don't want to start now.

Cgs1226

Another easy money OT day, delivering res all day with a UPS store and post office sprinkled in. Hope you guys don't start ground anytime soon, keep those trailers lite.
It's not going to be overtime a whole bunch. Still be only 5 days not 6.

35years

Gravy route
I like the idea.
Monday will be easier for me with you guys working Saturday.
I'll have a bigger area to deliver geographically on Monday, so more miles and fewer overall stops and packages.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I hear ya. But that's not how it will work.
We've been doing this since Oct, it's exactly how it works. Today alone two routes were sitting from understaffing and callouts. Volunteers working a 6th punch are dependable and wouldn't call out as they aren't forced to be there. Any other volunteers are gladly taken as anyone who's on a Tuesday-Saturday schedule will gladly go home.

I've worked every Saturday but one since we've started ground back before peak. Every Saturday I've worked has been at OT rate, they practically beg me to come in.

I've done it both ways, 60 in 5 and 60 in 6. I much prefer the 60 in 6 since ground has been added to Saturday. Maybe I'm a bit biased as I run the same route every Saturday and know every street in the loop as I've generally had the areas at one time or another.

Cgs1226

Oh ok that gives me more insight. I didn't know your hub was already doing it. Glad it's working out for you.

oldupsman

I hear what you're saying but I do not like the thought of browning up on a Saturday. I've never had a job in my life that required me to work weekends. And I don't want to start now.

Hey, I understand, it's not for everybody.

We've been doing this since Oct, it's exactly how it works. Today alone two routes were sitting from understaffing and callouts. Volunteers working a 6th punch are dependable and wouldn't call out as they aren't forced to be there. Any other volunteers are gladly taken as anyone who's on a Tuesday-Saturday schedule will gladly go home.

I've worked every Saturday but one since we've started ground back before peak. Every Saturday I've worked has been at OT rate, they practically beg me to come in.

I've done it both ways, 60 in 5 and 60 in 6. I much prefer the 60 in 6 since ground has been added to Saturday. Maybe I'm a bit biased as I run the same route every Saturday and know every street in the loop as I've generally had the areas at one time or another.

Now that I would't do. Would want nothing to do with a 6 day work week, other than peak. But your point
about premium pay is well taken. Premium pay should include any 6th workday of the week, not just Sat.
Something to think about next contract if this Sat. thing takes off.