Saturday Ground Update

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Except an Orion shovel is made out of paper that wouldn't penetrate a wet cow Turd

i'll probably chuckle at that too when i'm 60

It must really suck to have to go work everyday knowing what you're working on is a failure, and there's nothing you can do to fix it. I'd probably try to find excuses too if I were you.

i don't even work on ORION lol

So what you're saying is if the dispatcher is not going to fix it then no one is? If that's the case then what? Failure?

you just wait 12 months and then you have a new dispatcher and you get to try to make ORION great again, again

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
@TearsInRain

Out of curiosity is this true? I worked with my PDS for a week "tweaking" Orion. Fake one-ways, imaginary road blocks, parameters to get business off by a certain time, ect, ect. One month later, all of this was erased. I asked why, he said because I.E. reviews fake one ways and all the other stuff we put in to make it work, and if they find proof that they don't exist, they erase them. Wtf?

JL 0513

For those already doing Saturday ground, how many (if any) guys are driving 6 days a week. It seems like this would be necessary (at least a few drivers a week). To me, it doesn't seem like enough guys could be cut Monday to staff Saturday.

MyTripisCut

For those already doing Saturday ground, how many (if any) guys are driving 6 days a week. It seems like this would be necessary (at least a few drivers a week). To me, it doesn't seem like enough guys could be cut Monday to staff Saturday.
So far not many. Only on heavy vacation weeks, they might use one or two six days, but still try to get them a different day off than Monday. Peak is a whole other story.

oldngray

nowhere special
Is Saturday ground being used a a dispatch tool? Just send out enough stops to keep the scheduled Saturday drivers busy and deliver enough to make it easier to cut routes on Monday?

MyTripisCut

Is Saturday ground being used a a dispatch tool? Just send out enough stops to keep the scheduled Saturday drivers busy and deliver enough to make it easier to cut routes on Monday?
I haven't seen any evidence of this. But it would not surprise me.

tourists24

ORION is like google maps, all it does it optimize your miles based on the parameters the PDS sets

if you tell it there's a road across a lake, it's gonna trust you, if you say the road isn't there, okay to that too

you want the driver to make certain pickups at certain times? okay set the times correctly; how important is it that a driver get X area off earlier or later? set the parameters; traffic is heavy after 5pm on the main drag? you can make it adjust for that as well, etc etc etc.

ORION is complex because of the nearly infinite variables that we can set whenever however, but at it's core it's a dead-simple miles optimizer; so honestly when drivers say ORION is trash or they know better it just shows how brain dead that driver is to how things really work

to;dr is if your ORION is trash, it's because your PDS is trash
Which in itself lies the bigger problem. Maybe it isn't ORION the system that is terrible, but what good is a system if it's not implemented correctly. We've been on it here for quite a long time and it's still terrible overall.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
So you don't work on it, you don't have to use it, but you take the time to come on here and tell everyone how great it is, and that everyone who doesn't like it is a :censored2:?

What a freaking bag of dicks.
i've trained on it, used it, taught it, and drove it

unlike a driver though i don't do the same thing every day for the next 30 years, so like i said, i don't work on it now

KDubb3

Just got done doing my buildings first Saturday this past weekend. It was a joke. They claimed all resi 100-120 stops easy day. Nope. Went out with 190 over 7 routes combined. First of all they put us in all the clunkers in the fleet and all 6-8 cubes. 4 trucks broke down in the first hour. Supervisor ride alongs for everyone and running strictly Orion. Which Orion in a 6 cube was ridiculous. They told us 22 routes for our center were going out. Normally we run about 66. That wasn't the case either. Try 10 routes. Then the other centers were lagging so bad they sent us back out when we got into the buildings after our long day to help. I heard today they cut a lot of cars and combined routes.

JL 0513

Just got done doing my buildings first Saturday this past weekend. It was a joke. They claimed all resi 100-120 stops easy day. Nope. Went out with 190 over 7 routes combined. First of all they put us in all the clunkers in the fleet and all 6-8 cubes. 4 trucks broke down in the first hour. Supervisor ride alongs for everyone and running strictly Orion. Which Orion in a 6 cube was ridiculous. They told us 22 routes for our center were going out. Normally we run about 66. That wasn't the case either. Try 10 routes. Then the other centers were lagging so bad they sent us back out when we got into the buildings after our long day to help. I heard today they cut a lot of cars and combined routes.

Nice. A company that sells itself on logistics sure seems to have a hard time at it.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
@TearsInRain

Out of curiosity is this true? I worked with my PDS for a week "tweaking" Orion. Fake one-ways, imaginary road blocks, parameters to get business off by a certain time, ect, ect. One month later, all of this was erased. I asked why, he said because I.E. reviews fake one ways and all the other stuff we put in to make it work, and if they find proof that they don't exist, they erase them. Wtf?

I don't know for certain but that sounds like something corporate IE would do

I haven't seen any evidence of this. But it would not surprise me.

saturday criteria is that the work is available consistently at 0600 on saturday, is mostly resi, and then we make as many routes as we can with 8.4 plan days

monday criteria is to have enough routes to fit the pickup cube volume, staying above an 8.1 plan day, and then balancing stops as best we can from there

monday is the rough part as cube size can't be measured consistently, it requires close involvement of the centers and drivers in the planning process; you can imagine how that probably goes in most places