Saturday Ground Update

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
How many cover drivers are your buildings hiring? We are hiring a ton. Just wondering what will they do with all these covers? Will they go fulltime? Or eventually go back to their original shifts?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How many cover drivers are your buildings hiring? We are hiring a ton. Just wondering what will they do with all these covers? Will they go fulltime? Or eventually go back to their original shifts?
Ups has many drivers who are and can retire... they figure if they crank up the production even more some of these old timers will leave and you can take their spots...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Based on what ive seen drivers are more disposable than part timers. My building cant find part timers cuz of the pay and amount of work. The load quality keeps getting worse and worse..keep selling out your part time brothers and sisters and you will be loading your own trucks soon
If they can't get them to work 3.5 hours a day what are the chances of them doing it for 10+?

My center has about 100 part timers. Few years back we hired 10 drivers. Only 2 part timers even wanted to attempt it. One quit on day 3. The other week 3. We hired 10 drivers off the street (were supposed to hire 15 but only 10 applied). I think 1 or 2 of those ten are left.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If they can't get them to work 3.5 hours a day what are the chances of them doing it for 10+?

My center has about 100 part timers. Few years back we hired 10 drivers. Only 2 part timers even wanted to attempt it. One quit on day 3. The other week 3. We hired 10 drivers off the street (were supposed to hire 15 but only 10 applied). I think 1 or 2 of those ten are left.
What does that tell you about the work that we do??? And maybe not so much about the work but at the stupid pace and micromanaging that comes with it...

Brownslave688

What does that tell you about the work that we do??? And maybe not so much about the work but at the stupid pace and micromanaging that comes with it...
Honestly most people turn it down before they even get to that.

At the time I had two mid 20's neighbors looking for job. These guys were not affraid of hard work. One had just got laid off at a rock quarry the other was a mechanic.

They both said hell no almost immediatly. These guys would of gladly busted their asses from 6 am to 4pm every day. They both said dude we see what time you get home. :censored2: that I don't care what they pay.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

At the time I had two mid 20's neighbors looking for job. These guys were not affraid of hard work. One had just got laid off at a rock quarry the other was a mechanic.

They both said hell no almost immediatly. These guys would of gladly busted their asses from 6 am to 4pm every day. They both said dude we see what time you get home. :censored2: that I don't care what they pay.
Guess some people don't want to be a slave to a cardboard box..

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

I always worked jobs that were 6 to 2 or 3, 7 to 3 or 4 before I worked here. Never understood why UPS couldn't be more like this. Have full timers work preload, load their own stuff, and deliver it. Cover PU's with part timers.

Brownslave688

I always worked jobs that were 6 to 2 or 3, 7 to 3 or 4 before I worked here. Never understood why UPS couldn't be more like this. Have full timers work preload, load their own stuff, and deliver it. Cover PU's with part timers.
I should probably be more productive with my morning time but I leave for work around 7:45. Not many businesses open before then.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
the union would never, ever go for the lower pay it would need to be profitable

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher

What a great concept that would be. Most days of the week I am excited to get home before its dark lately and its summertime.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How about the CEO? Could he take a pay cut to be more profitable? You? Shove it management koolaid drinker.
cutting management pay sounds sexy but unless you make up for it in seriously big QOL ways, it just leads to a brain-drain which would lead to stagnation and death

put some income-equality legislation in front of me for the government to enforce across the board and i'd sign it, but voluntary, solitary equality is stupid