Saturday Ground Update

W

What The Hawk?

While combining several buildings to make a 700 car hub is a lofty goal, Logistically it doesn't make sense.
I'm just telling you what other people told me I don't know the exact numbers. But the fact is they are building two very large centers one being very close to my center which will basically take all the routes away from the one I work at.

I'm just telling you what other people told me I don't know the exact numbers. But the fact is they are building two very large centers one being very close to my center which will basically take all the routes away from the one I work at.
Heard they were building one in lynnwood

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
What the biggest hub in the nation package car wise? This dude said 700 cars, I just can't picture a hub that size. In our area the Oakland hub is the largest size I know but its nowhere close to 700 cars.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
IMG_1962.JPG

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
What the biggest hub in the nation package car wise? This dude said 700 cars, I just can't picture a hub that size. In our area the Oakland hub is the largest size I know but its nowhere close to 700 cars.
probably one of the New York buildings

that said no one building should really be all that much larger than anything else (350 ish) since divisions are based on driver numbers, so unless you're going to stuff to divisions and one building or have an oversized division which doesn't really happen

RuthlessSupSlayer

Our hub is very large and is in a populated metropolitan area and has 150 then can hold another 30 or so in auxillery building during peak plus aisle cars which would another 25 there so in total ypu are looking 205 or so. I know my hub is one of largest but the largest is NYC i believe on the east coast.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Wrong again slick....
Am I the only one here who is proud to be someone who was able to climb the ranks from part time to full time??? Actually had some pretty good times in the hub and it has just been a natural progression into full time pkg and now feeder...someone like upstate doesn't know what he has until you have to scrap for it to be able to move up... I'm going to guess I appreciate it more...fact... anyone else here proud to say they were part time??? If someone asks me about Ups I always always mention that "I was part time for many years", or " I worked in the hub for many years"..... one of those two phrases are always proudly brought up!!!

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Am I the only one here who is proud to be someone who was able to climb the ranks from part time to full time??? Actually had some pretty good times in the hub and it has just been a natural progression into full time pkg and now feeder...someone like upstate doesn't know what he has until you have to scrap for it to be able to move up... I'm going to guess I appreciate it more...fact... anyone else here proud to say they were part time??? If someone asks me about Ups I always always mention that "I was part time for many years", or " I worked in the hub for many years"..... one of those two phrases are always proudly brought up!!!

Right there with you, buddy! TBH I didn't feel like I was scraping it up in the building part time to be able to move to full time. I've told my own story plenty of times on here by now so I won't go through it again. But I loved my part time job as a primary sorter and loved the hours. It allowed my plenty of times to live life, and I always had the opportunity to double shift if I needed more money. Moving on to fulltime, the huge differences were the much less non working weekday hours, and the much bigger checks after the progression. I suppose it balances out? If I could make the same rate inside the building as driving I would still be there. Full time inside was like $7 an hour less so I figured might as well take the more money option.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
We have part timers going driving after 6months some 3 months. They will never appreciate it the way we do. The ones who spent a decade or longer in the hub. The ones who worked 2 jobs to make it for so long. I like your stories. Its my story as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have part timers going driving after 6months some 3 months. They will never appreciate it the way we do. The ones who spent a decade or longer in the hub. The ones who worked 2 jobs to make it for so long. I like your stories. Its my story as well.

I was FT 11 short months after being hired off the street back in 1989. Do you think that there should be an asterisk on my 7/1/18 pension check?