Saturday Ground Update

ManInBrown

The southern supplement doesn't have language regarding a T-S work schedule?

I find that very very hard to believe.

Edit. They can't force you in on a 6th day if what it looks like it's saying.
Is there any local that allows a forced 6th day? There shouldn't be. I'm not working 6 days. If I'm moved to T-S, and they think I'm coming in on Mondays during peak, they're even more delusional than I thought.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Is there any local that allows a forced 6th day? There shouldn't be. I'm not working 6 days. If I'm moved to T-S, and they think I'm coming in on Mondays during peak, they're even more delusional than I thought.
Unless you have language that specifically states that the company cannot force a 6th day then yes they can. They did it all through peak here.

ManInBrown

Unless you have language that specifically states that the company cannot force a 6th day then yes they can. They did it all through peak here.
177 has to have it then. I haven't worked one Saturday during peak the last 3 years.

That's unbelievable if there's a local that allows a forced 6th punch. I physically could not do this job in a safe manner 6 days a week. Driving wise. I would be dead tired if I had to work a 6th day. I can barely make it thru Friday most weeks

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You could also be fired for job abandonment but you if that's a chance you want to take ;)

ManInBrown

I believe 177 is one of 2 or 3 locals that have language that says they can't be forced.
I wonder if allowing a forced 6th day will be on the table for the next contract in the 177? You know the company is going to want it after Saturday Ground to force people to work Monday. Next time I see the boys from the Hall down at the center I'm going to be in there ear. They best not give in. Drivers in my center will go ballistic if the union allows that. They'll have a mutiny in there hands

Brownslave688

I wonder if allowing a forced 6th day will be in the table for the next contract. You know the company is going to want it after Saturday Ground to force people to work Monday. Next time I see the boys from the hall down at the center I'm going to be in there ear. They best not give in.
This next contract is going to be interesting.

The company is gonna be asking for some major changes in language for things like Saturday ground. In theory this should give us some leverage to get some stuff we want.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I wonder if allowing a forced 6th day will be in the table for the next contract. You know the company is going to want it after Saturday Ground to force people to work Monday. Next time I see the boys from the hall down at the center I'm going to be in there ear. They best not give in.
They will probably want language that at least allows them to force a 6th day during peak. This past peak was the 1st time that they did that here and even though we don't have language that prohibits that I'm sure the union would draw a line if they tried to make it a year round thing.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They
Here's where I think they are running into a problem. If they do it, strictly by seniority. Let's say bottom 25% in each center are now T-S. Almost all cover drivers will be off Monday. For the most part all the bottom people are cover drivers. So if they do that, and have no cover on Mondays, what happens when they get 7 sick calls? Or summertime when 10 drivers have the week off, and 5 call out sick on Monday? Who's pulling those routes if every cover driver is off Monday?
they hire some more people... It's already happening here.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Nobody will be working 6 days a week( outside peak)... That's bs and won't happen... Only having one day off.... We going back to the 1900's.... Then you have dot hour regulations to worry about with a six day workweek..

Poop Head

Judge me.
Add 344 to that list. They were begging for drivers to come in on Saturday all through peak.
I only worked one sat(xmas Eve). I thought it was funny how at the beginning of peak management was "forcing" sat. Mid-peak they were trying to hype everyone up with this whole "Peak is What We Do! Now who's working Saturday?". Finally towards the end it was just sad, literally begging drivers to come in on Sat..

Side bar; I see that 12 sups (one from our building) in our district accepted the "special assignment" of "District Special Operating Plans Team". Any ideas on what this is/could be?

ManInBrown

They

they hire some more people... It's already happening here.
I agree for sure. They're on a hiring spree here. But what I don't get is, if you're hiring mass amounts of drivers, make them work Saturday. Why am I hearing rumors that I might be moved to T-S because my route is cut Mondays? Make the newbies work

ManInBrown

It should be cut and dry.

Anyone interested in working T-S? Then after that

Bottom this many drivers, welcome to T-S. And if I'm in that mix, it is what it is. Not happy but I'll suck it up.

It shouldn't have anything to do with, you're routes cut on Mondays blah blah blah so now you're T-S. That's complete BS

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I agree for sure. They're on a hiring spree here. But what I don't get is, if you're hiring mass amounts of drivers, make them work Saturday. Why am I hearing rumors that I might be moved to T-S because my route is cut Mondays? Make the newbies work
It isn't going to be an easy thing to implement... That's for sure but it needs to be done. They will probably try to shove it down everybody's throat like usual, without the feedback of anyone except for cubicle geeks who have no clue. I would think the Saturday would be just a glorified Saturday air day with some ground....there's no need to cut every route on Monday....but whatever sure there are some armchair quarterbacks on here who already have the whole ups business model figured out on it even before the company does....sure they will let us know..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It should be cut and dry.

Anyone interested in working T-S? Then after that

Bottom this many drivers, welcome to T-S. And if I'm in that mix, it is what it is. Not happy but I'll suck it up.

It shouldn't have anything to do with, you're routes cut on Mondays blah blah blah so now you're T-S. That's complete BS
Would Saturday be a full on pickup day??? Is so this gets more complicated, if not just have relief guys do it and hire a few more to cover Monday sick calls...no need to make this more difficult than necessary...and just keep everyone else on a regular Monday - Friday...

oldupsman

This next contract is going to be interesting.

The company is gonna be asking for some major changes in language for things like Saturday ground. In theory this should give us some leverage to get some stuff we want.

You're spot on. This should be a major contract issue NATIONWIDE and addressed as such so EVERYONE is on
the same page. 6th day premium pay no matter which is your 6th day.

Would Saturday be a full on pickup day??? Is so this gets more complicated, if not just have relief guys do it and hire a few more to cover Monday sick calls...no need to make this more difficult than necessary...and just keep everyone else on a regular Monday - Friday...

I'm sure there will be some companies who will be very interested in Sat. pickup. Again, major contract issue.

Brownslave688

It isn't going to be an easy thing to implement... That's for sure but it needs to be done. They will probably try to shove it down everybody's throat like usual, without the feedback of anyone except for cubicle geeks who have no clue. I would think the Saturday would be just a glorified Saturday air day with some ground....there's no need to cut every route on Monday....but whatever sure there are some armchair quarterbacks on here who already have the whole ups business model figured out on it even before the company does....sure they will let us know..
The company is goIng to cut big time on Mondays. Ain't rocket science. Ups ain't too big on handing out easy days.

ManInBrown

The company is goIng to cut big time on Mondays. Ain't rocket science. Ups ain't too big on handing out easy days.
Absolutely. Going to be a complete clusteryouknowwhat. That's why they need to ask for volunteers first. I work with plenty of long time drivers who spend the 30 minutes before start time biting their fingernails off. They'd happily work T-S to avoid Monday's. I'm fine with a cluster:censored2: Monday