Saturday Ground

Coalminer2005

Hey all, i work in a small 1 belt center with about 30 RPCD drivers and 4 22.4. We are supposed to start saturday ground this fall and they will be taking RPCD volume for monday, doing it on saturday and laying off 15-20 RPCD on monday? Can they do that? Is this grievable. Yes i’ve asked my steward we aren’t sure because this is all so new to us. Central states is our supplement. Thanks guys
Yep that's the supplemental language. So if you're in that group mgmt can hem and haw all they want, and you'll just smile and say 'I want my 8.'
Also the Master states in Article 22 No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building. Which covers all drivers.

Is it true that seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work? Our dispatch supervisor says that the top seniority drivers must work on Monday before lower seniority drivers. My route is usually out in Mondays, and I have over 30 years. I would rather take a layoff than to follow my work on another route or do a vacation route. I work in Michigan under Central States. Do I have the right to take a layoff or am I forced to work on Monday? I'm the highest seniority driver with their route taken out and around 10-15 Monday-Friday drivers are usually sent home.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Is it true that seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work? Our dispatch supervisor says that the top seniority drivers must work on Monday before lower seniority drivers.
yes but common practice basically everywhere is to just let senior drivers do what they want; things are more peaceful that way

What'dyabringmetoday???

Is it true that seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work? Our dispatch supervisor says that the top seniority drivers must work on Monday before lower seniority drivers. My route is usually out in Mondays, and I have over 30 years. I would rather take a layoff than to follow my work on another route or do a vacation route. I work in Michigan under Central States. Do I have the right to take a layoff or am I forced to work on Monday? I'm the highest seniority driver with their route taken out and around 10-15 Monday-Friday drivers are usually sent home.
Go out and drive around aimlessly on Monday. After a few times of that, "your" run won't get cut...

browned out

Hey all, i work in a small 1 belt center with about 30 RPCD drivers and 4 22.4. We are supposed to start saturday ground this fall and they will be taking RPCD volume for monday, doing it on saturday and laying off 15-20 RPCD on monday? Can they do that? Is this grievable. Yes i’ve asked my steward we aren’t sure because this is all so new to us. Central states is our supplement. Thanks guys
In Michigan; you are out of luck. Neither Central States or 243 (if you are in Metro Detroit) did anything to protect RPCDs from the obvious UPS tactic of moving as much as possible of Monday's work to Saturdays.

We asked over and over for this to be addressed. We requested the right to work Saturdays if we were laid off Mondays due to the obvious threat of volume manipulation. The union created the 22.4 job and purposely left this right out. The Hoffa slapdicks ignored us. Under the last contract; many of us bid on Tuesday thru Saturday ground positions. Some drivers bid Tues to Sat because they wanted to make sure they got 5 days. Under the current contract we were forced of our preferred bid upon schedules. We were forced back to Monday thru Friday regardless of our seniority and our bids.

Seniority rights were thrown out the window.

They are cutting routes like crazy on Mondays. They do not have enough 22.4s to cover the Saturday workload so RPCDs are allowed to the extra work based on seniority. So you have some RPCDs working 6 days and others working only 4. There is nothing you can do about it...unless

You want to take a $6 an hour paycut and bid to 22.4. Then you would have the right to work Saturdays.

Hopefully the next contract will address this glaring omission. Eliminating the 22.4 position and making everyone RPCDs would be ideal but there is no guarantee OZ can get that done.

In Michigan; you are out of luck. Neither Central States or 243 (if you are in Metro Detroit) did anything to protect RPCDs from the obvious UPS tactic of moving as much as possible of Monday's work to Saturdays.

We asked over and over for this to be addressed. We requested the right to work Saturdays if we were laid off Mondays due to the obvious threat of volume manipulation. The union created the 22.4 job and purposely left this right out. The Hoffa slapdicks ignored us. Under the last contract; many of us bid on Tuesday thru Saturday ground positions. Some drivers bid Tues to Sat because they wanted to make sure they got 5 days. Under the current contract we were forced of our preferred bid upon schedules. We were forced back to Monday thru Friday regardless of our seniority and our bids.

Seniority rights were thrown out the window.

They are cutting routes like crazy on Mondays. There is nothing you can do about it...unless

You want to take a $6 an hour paycut and bid to 22.4. Then you would have the right to work Saturdays.

Hopefully the next contract will address this glaring omission. Eliminating the 22.4 position and making everyone RPCDs would be ideal but there is no guarantee OZ can get that done.
Amen

browned out

If you are in 243; this applies "(G) Whenever there is a need to reduce regular package car drivers(s) (RPCD) on a day in a center, the Company will offer RPCDs the right to take the day off by seniority.

In our center; management is adhering to the supplement and is asking drivers if they want to stay home.