Saturday Mornings

Anyone who works Saturdays as pre-load has witnessed that Saturday’s are the worst days to load. Management, has half the staff of tue-fri. Monday’s are also a disaster. As half are off Mon or half are off Tue. But the pre-loaders are still required to load the same amount of packages. You get 5-7 trucks, normally it’s 3-4. The packages come down at the same rate as if everybody was there, but of course it’s only half staffed. Yesterday 8 people called or no showed, so it’s less than half. Management should be required to train loaders on how to load 5-7 trucks, with 250 or more packages in each truck. They won’t train us, we’ve asked, they cant load that, and they know it. The union has failed here as well. The union could careless about pre-loaders. 90% of stewards are drivers, and you ask them about pre-load, they have no clue.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Management should be required to train loaders on how to load 5-7 trucks, with 250 or more packages in each truck. They won’t train us, we’ve asked, they cant load that, and they know it. The union has failed here as well. The union could careless about pre-loaders.

Has the company disciplined you for it ?

Do you think the Union, has the ability to dictate how to run the UPS business ?

CoffeeStainedUniform

Anyone who works Saturdays as pre-load has witnessed that Saturday’s are the worst days to load. Management, has half the staff of tue-fri. Monday’s are also a disaster. As half are off Mon or half are off Tue. But the pre-loaders are still required to load the same amount of packages. You get 5-7 trucks, normally it’s 3-4. The packages come down at the same rate as if everybody was there, but of course it’s only half staffed. Yesterday 8 people called or no showed, so it’s less than half. Management should be required to train loaders on how to load 5-7 trucks, with 250 or more packages in each truck. They won’t train us, we’ve asked, they cant load that, and they know it. The union has failed here as well. The union could careless about pre-loaders. 90% of stewards are drivers, and you ask them about pre-load, they have no clue.
The first thing you need to learn at UPS is to create an equilibrium. A stable pace, where you can work safely and efficiently and stick to it. UPS will push you harder every day and you need to figure it out or you'll hate your life.

Stewards are drivers because they've all been around a while and want to make the most money they can. They probably put a decade in at your job. They know, listen to them.

SameRightsForAll

Has the company disciplined you for it ?

Do you think the Union, has the ability to dictate how to run the UPS business ?

The guy's point is that there is a huge disconnect between full-time stewards and part-time package handlers. Every part-time worker who's had union issues knows this. Every time I see a so-called union guy on this site reply to an honest concern he sounds like a defense attorney for the company. Listen to the fellow. He said up to 7 trucks, heavy package flow, one loader. If you're ok with this, then you're ok with the same grievant being forced to load the ENTIRE side of a belt at the same package flow, even if he has to actually run back and forth down the belt in fear of his job performance. If you can't figure out that this guy is asking for help, then you need to do yourself a favor and retire from your position.

CoffeeStainedUniform

The guy's point is that there is a huge disconnect between full-time stewards and part-time package handlers...
The disconnect is experience with which battles are winnable. We have a contract and fighting "they are asking me to work too hard" will never amount to anything.

...the same grievant being forced to load the ENTIRE side of a belt at the same package flow, even if he has to actually run back and forth down the belt in fear of his job performance.
The way to fight this is to work at a safe pace regardless of whether the management gets upset. The numbers are management's responsibility. Your's is to keep safe. That's a battle a steward can win.

UPSER1987

The guy's point is that there is a huge disconnect between full-time stewards and part-time package handlers. Every part-time worker who's had union issues knows this. Every time I see a so-called union guy on this site reply to an honest concern he sounds like a defense attorney for the company. Listen to the fellow. He said up to 7 trucks, heavy package flow, one loader. If you're ok with this, then you're ok with the same grievant being forced to load the ENTIRE side of a belt at the same package flow, even if he has to actually run back and forth down the belt in fear of his job performance. If you can't figure out that this guy is asking for help, then you need to do yourself a favor and retire from your position.

This guy gets it. The op is looking for solutions...and he or she is asked if he was disciplined for it. Wtf?....

UPSER1987

If I don’t have a solution or real life experience to add ..I don’t. To ask if you were disciplined is just plain stupid. At least tailor the question or comment to fit the topic of discussion.

Your comment/question to the op was at least relevant to the topic...

UPSER1987

If I don’t have a solution or real life experience to add ..I don’t. To ask if you were disciplined is just plain stupid. At least tailor the question or comment to fit the topic of discussion. One doesn’t have to RESPOND TO EVERY THREAD...

So what if he/she wasn’t disciplined? That wasn’t the ops question.

Your comment/question to the op was at least relevant to the topic...

542thruNthru

Article 37 - Fair days work, fair days pay.

Work at a safe pace. We don't recognize production standards. Give me the whole pen and watch the place go down in flames.

Anyone that's worried about production and being fired for it is part of the problem.

Article 37 - Fair days work, fair days pay.

Work at a safe pace. We don't recognize production standards. Give me the whole pen and watch the place go down in flames.

Anyone that's worried about production and being fired for it is part of the problem.

That’s great you pulled up Article 37- fair days work, fair days pay. Can you define that please? That is generic speak. Who determines fair work? What volume? The Union stewards and the Teamsters should have more concern for preload. For a part-time job, $63.00 a month is quite a bit of money all for $13.00 an hour.

542thruNthru

That’s great you pulled up Article 37- fair days work, fair days pay. Can you define that please? That is generic speak. Who determines fair work? What volume? The Union stewards and the Teamsters should have more concern for preload. For a part-time job, $63.00 a month is quite a bit of money all for $13.00 an hour.

As long as you're working by the methods and working safe there are no standards.

Have you ever seen anyone fired for being slow? I know I haven't.

542thruNthru

Who are you paying $63 dollars a month to?

That’s a generic response. Go back to original post. Did I not make it clear enough that Saturday mornings are unsafe? What next. The woman who posted about low IQ union leaders is spot on.

542thruNthru

That’s a generic response. Go back to original post. Did I not make it clear enough that Saturday mornings are unsafe? What next. The woman who posted about low IQ union leaders is spot on.

It's only unsafe if you work unsafe. Shut the belt off and work at a safe pace.

Why would we want the union to make a standard just so the company can use it against us.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Your only requirement is to work at a safe pace.

A safe pace? A very generic term. In an effort to be safe all loaders will load 7 packages an hour. We must be safe. Do drivers have 3 stops an hour, just to be safe? You really never can be to safe.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
We clock out when the work is done or when the supervisors tell us to.
What you think youre the only person who has to load like this on a saturday? Try loading 4 sets, I mean 9 to 10 trucks every damn Saturday by yourself with no call outs. You want a :censored2: muffin or something?
All you do is work to the best of your ability. That means use the methods and work safely. Its gonna get done one way or another. May take an extra 2 hours or you coming in earlier. Let them figure it out. Eventually theyll hire more people.
I bet if those supervisors took a set off your hands youd be ready as all hell to grieve them too right?

Union doesnt run ups bruh. So why dont you get on the phone and make a corporate complaint that youre "being overworked"
Or better yet. When u go in on Saturdays, regardless of start time, just tell the supervisors you have to be out of there by a certain time regardless of work flow.

But ur "trained" like everyone else. To load a set. Theres no "training" for loading multiple sets at a time. U just do a rev or two at a time on each set. Go up n down the line.