Saturday Mornings

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
So i asked to double check with out shop stewards. Theyre asking why ur supervisors didnt call other hourlies including drivers to come in and work.
Apparently you can file a grievance for overly excessive amount of work.
But you have to find out if the supervisors actually tried to get more people in.
If the supervisors realize they cant get anyone else in and they are understaffed then they can jump in and start working.

So go ahead and tell ur union reps u wana file a grievance for excessive work

sandwich

The resident gearhead
A safe pace? A very generic term. In an effort to be safe all loaders will load 7 packages an hour. We must be safe. Do drivers have 3 stops an hour, just to be safe? You really never can be to safe.
Some drivers do 250 stops in 9.5 hours. Some do 90 stops in 9.5 hours. There is no requirement to how much work you have to do in a certain amount of time. I punch in on time everyday. Run my 90 stops and go home. THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT.

CoffeeStainedUniform

A safe pace? A very generic term. In an effort to be safe all loaders will load 7 packages an hour. We must be safe. Do drivers have 3 stops an hour, just to be safe? You really never can be to safe.
You can only control yourself. You are responsible to keep yourself safe. Stop running, it won't impress anyone. Management might like it, but you'll get written up the first time you hurt yourself.

They only get to make you load past your capability because you're willing to throw the methods out the window. Stop it, you're losing hours for your coworkers too.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Anyone who works Saturdays as pre-load has witnessed that Saturday’s are the worst days to load. Management, has half the staff of tue-fri. Monday’s are also a disaster. As half are off Mon or half are off Tue. But the pre-loaders are still required to load the same amount of packages. You get 5-7 trucks, normally it’s 3-4. The packages come down at the same rate as if everybody was there, but of course it’s only half staffed. Yesterday 8 people called or no showed, so it’s less than half. Management should be required to train loaders on how to load 5-7 trucks, with 250 or more packages in each truck. They won’t train us, we’ve asked, they cant load that, and they know it. The union has failed here as well. The union could careless about pre-loaders. 90% of stewards are drivers, and you ask them about pre-load, they have no clue.

If you need more part time stewards talk to your local's principal officer, or at least your BA, about adding another steward for your sort, then put your name on the list. Then, go to the effort of learning the contract, zeroing in on part time issues. I know enough to help out part timers, and when a specific issue comes up, I'll research it, talk to my BA or another Steward to figure out the best way to handle the problem. But I don't spend a lot of time specializing on part time issues beyond that.

As for how to handle your situation, work at a pace that you are comfortable with, if packages pile up and begin to block egress (which is a legitimate safety no-no), stop the belt, or let packages go by, until you can get your area clear. If preload is still going when the drivers show up because they aren't staffing properly, the drivers will have to step up and start loading after their start time, or will need to punch in early. A few Saturdays of that should send a message that staffing needs to be fixed.

If you get yelled at or threatened with discipline for working at a safe pace that you are comfortable with, or stopping the belt when necessary, that is when you file grievances for harassment. That's how it goes sometimes. It may not be the most comfortable thing to do, and you may not like the idea of becoming a target, but if you get the rest of your sort on board, no one has to be singled out.

A union is only as strong as its weakest member. Think about it, what do you do for the union?

What do I do for the Union? Simple, I pay them monthly. That’s enough. $63.00 a month is a lot for a part-time job. One thing I’m learning is part-timers aren’t as union gung ho as the drivers. Be careful, a divided union, is a doomed union.

UPSER1987

What do I do for the Union? Simple, I pay them monthly. That’s enough. $63.00 a month is a lot for a part-time job. One thing I’m learning is part-timers aren’t as union gung ho as the drivers. Be careful, a divided union, is a doomed union.

He does have a point... 63 bucks a month is a lot for a part timer. I didn’t realize pt dues were that high. I would have some high expectations as well...not a diy thing

PT Car Washer

You're the dummy that's loading 7 cars!! How the eff can you even pull all that, much less load it?
Just throwing boxes into a package car as the boxline cage or belt goes by hoping it is the right car. Maybe going back later and putting things in order and checking for misloads. Or punching out and let the Monday guys worry about it. Mondays are a huge misload day and money maker for air drivers shagging misloads.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
He does have a point... 63 bucks a month is a lot for a part timer. I didn’t realize pt dues were that high. I would have some high expectations as well...not a diy thing
If you dont talk to your stewards. How are they supposed to know what's happening? You want us to follow you to bathroom and wipe you after you make a boom boom

542thruNthru

If he's paying 63 a month then he's making at least 21 dollars a hour as a PT worker. I'd say that's pretty good.

542thruNthru

All great responses, tell me, what does the Union do? From what I’m seeing, nothing. Wasted money.

Hmmm seems to me they make sure the company pays you $21 a hour to load trucks at a safe pace. Plus benefits, vacation, sick days, holidays and pension.

You're one of those people that thinks the company would give you that on their own.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
You're trying to get an answer for a fair's day work for a fair's day pay is what it seems like from your response to article 37. You will not get an answer because there is no direct number for production because the union does not recognize production numbers. Go to your safety committee members and bring this up or slow down and adjust your speed that you seem safe and not in a rush. Sorry this is the best advice I can give you in regards to your issue, make the supervisor inconvenienced to the point where he or she sees that you are over worked and need help.