Saturday Mornings

542thruNthru

You're trying to get an answer for a fair's day work for a fair's day pay is what it seems like from your response to article 37. You will not get an answer because there is no direct number for production because the union does not recognize production numbers. Go to your safety committee members and bring this up or slow down and adjust your speed that you seem safe and not in a rush. Sorry this is the best advice I can give you in regards to your issue, make the supervisor inconvenienced to the point where he or she sees that you are over worked and need help.

I don't think he wants a answer. He wants the union to tell the company what they can and can't do.

That's not how it works though so he's trying to say they are useless.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
He does have a point... 63 bucks a month is a lot for a part timer. I didn’t realize pt dues were that high. I would have some high expectations as well...not a diy thing
What the...who tf...no. if hes payin that much a month then hes makin way more than ur believing he does per month

RolloTony Brown Town

All great responses, tell me, what does the Union do? From what I’m seeing, nothing. Wasted money.

The union negotiated the contract that made it so you could work at a pace that you feel is safe. It’s not wasted money.

Saturday’s are a crap chute. Just do the best you safely can while following the methods.

If you’re on a boxline: maintain egress and don’t stack. Even if your cages are crammed full.

If you’re on a belt: shut the belt off to maintain egress.

The only thing you need to work safe is the ability to move your feet and a place to put the packages.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What do I do for the Union? Simple, I pay them monthly. That’s enough. $63.00 a month is a lot for a part-time job. One thing I’m learning is part-timers aren’t as union gung ho as the drivers. Be careful, a divided union, is a doomed union.

Be the change you want to see in the union. FYI, stewards are considered to be on the same level as supervisors, so they can't get you for insubordination.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Only in closed door meetings are they considered equal with management. Stewards can't just do whatever they want lol.

Doesn't have to be closed door, it's anytime a steward is acting in a representational capacity. I have been less than diplomatic with preload sups for harassing my loaders, right on the belt. I then have to explain to the loaders that they can't act that way without risking discipline.

The Special Status of Union Stewards

"When does the equality principle apply? Being a steward is not a general license to tell management to “stick it.” The equality principle applies when a steward acts in a representational capacity: argues a contract matter, attempts to resolve a problem, investigates a complaint, requests information, presents a grievance, disputes a decision affecting the bargaining unit, or leads a union protest.

It does not apply when a steward acts in his or her individual capacity: objects to a work assignment, responds to criticism of her job performance, or receives notice of her own discipline.

NLRA protection has its limits. Management may impose discipline for “egregious” misconduct that renders the representative “unfit for further service.” Cases in point include extreme profanity, racial epithets, physical threats, and blocking or touching a supervisor.

Stewards can also be disciplined for dishonesty, soliciting false testimony, taking part in illegal walkouts, or disrupting business meetings or work activities."

$63.00 a month at $13.00 an hour pay. That’s what I pay. I don’t make $21.00. Many part-timers pay more for union dues on an hourly basis than drivers. That’s a problem for the union. As pre-load gets placed on the back burner asworkers.

Those of you who don’t think the union tells UPS how to run their business are wrong. Determining pay rates, benefits, and paid time off, are all examples of the union telling UPS how to run their business. Low IQ.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Those of you who don’t think the union tells UPS how to run their business are wrong. Determining pay rates, benefits, and paid time off, are all examples of the union telling UPS how to run their business. Low IQ.
Ok Mister high IQ, what are you proposing? That we don’t belong to a union anymore? You think your $63 a month that you’d get back will pay for benefits, paid time off, or job security?

Ok Mister high IQ, what are you proposing? That we don’t belong to a union anymore? You think your $63 a month that you’d get back will pay for benefits, paid time off, or job security?

Where does UPS find you guys? Getting rid of the Union is a suggestion. Plenty of companies offer benefits and have no union. In many cases the cost of paying a union could be used to pay for group benefits that companies offer. Yes you pay in for bennies, about $60.00 a month.

Here’s another example of union failures. Billy, Kim, and Sue all started on the same day. Their one year anniversary of employment is coming up. They’ll all get a dollar an hour raise! Terrific! Here’s the problem. Kim loads 230 packages an hour, Sue loads 210, and Billy loads 150 packages an hour. Kim and Billy deserve the same pay?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Here’s another example of union failures. Billy, Kim, and Sue all started on the same day. Their one year anniversary of employment is coming up. They’ll all get a dollar an hour raise! Terrific! Here’s the problem. Kim loads 230 packages an hour, Sue loads 210, and Billy loads 150 packages an hour. Kim and Billy deserve the same pay?

Sounds like Billy is the smart one.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Where does UPS find you guys? Getting rid of the Union is a suggestion. Plenty of companies offer benefits and have no union. In many cases the cost of paying a union could be used to pay for group benefits that companies offer. Yes you pay in for bennies, about $60.00 a month.

Do you know how to try to get rid of a union?