screwed or off today?

Re-Raise

This is the case in my ctr. As somebody else said earlier, they will drag out a 7.85 plan day to over 8.5 just to put another 8 hr in for next Friday.

I understand why it's in the contract. I just don't like it very much. Probably because i don't use them.

But then again. There is a lot i don't like.

I don't use them very often either. It is too bad that it ends up screwing the other drivers in the loop.

We have a few drivers that quite frankly don't want to work and they do everything they can to do as little as possible.

They are in the office complaining every morning before start time about how late they are going to be, and they call in sick all the time leaving us short handed.

I wish that 8 hours was a normal dispatch and we didn't have to play games all the time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

8 hour requests in my center are accomodated by shifting the work to the other drivers in the loop rather than adding another run.

If I need to get done early I will ask if they can cover a few of my late pickups.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was thinking the same thing and was not going to post anything about it, but since someone already did, i'll chime in. I understand its our contractual right, but come on guys. All you're doing is screwing you fellow drivers. When I signed up for UPS there was no 8 hour letters. I go into every week with the assumption that I will have to work until 8PM every night. I think I put in 1 8 hour letter since 2002 and will probably not put another one in, ever. 8 hours does nothing for me. 545 is 8 hours for me and by the time I get home through the traffic its 715-too late to meet normal people. All this does is give the guy next to me an 11 hour day. Why would any of us do this to our fellow drivers? If I have something to do I just take the day off.

I know its in the contract but under the common courtesy rules it doesn't jive. You just shouldn't do that.

And there is also a reason why it is limited to 2 requests a month (per driver) and only 1 request per loop on any given day and 2 requests per day (in our ctr). I don't agree with this type of mentality. Every one has an equal opportunity to request 8 hr days. Just because you don't want to ask for one doesn't mean that you should blame someone else because they do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We actually get 3 a month at my center. Just that extra one really screws most of the younger drivers. There were many months up until I had about 5 years in the I would write down for one every day and not get any.