screwed with no help

undercoversupe

Yes I am management. I am a supervisor. I have been with the company for more than 10 years. I was working in corporate classified job. I came to work one day with no notice and was told I now work for the district in a position I did not want. To top it off, I took a 23% cut in pay. I guess I should be lucky to have a job, but it just pissed me off. Of course, no managers I have spoken with gives a ****, they just tell me how many jobs they have had to do over the years that they did not choose. However, they never lost pay. Anyone else heard of anything similar in salary ranks?>

storm4

Everything changed when we went public. Hang in there and do the best job that you can. How you manage the transition will be watched and determine promotability down the road. Also, know that you are not alone as this has happened to many and if I read the indicators properly, there will be many more. Good luck and go with a positive attitude! The better you manage the change, the quicker you will recoup your losses and surpass them.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Thats what happens when you don't have union representation. They can toy with your position and decide where THEY want you. As for the 23% pay cut, this is supper echelon saying "you don't like it we'll get someone who will".

Lower and middle management are being used as examples in a "team" effort to control costs. Thats my take anyway.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Just consider yourself VERY LUCKY.
In my area they have a mandate to reduce Mgt ranks, all most get is a firm kick on the butt.

SKAGITDRIVER

I don't feel sorry for you at al'l as for the 23% cut it's mngmnts way of hoping you will quit no unemployment for you if you do

smokey

it would be great if you provided us with a little more information. first lets start off by your mgt position within the company. you stated a supervisor...are you a pt sup? ft sup? grade 12, 13, 14, im assuming 14, unless you were just promoted. who informed you of the job position relo? your mgr, the staff hr mgr? it seems kinda of suspect to me, i have not heard of such paycuts to mgt employees, unless you were demoted.

im interested in hearing the whole story... please keep us posted.

ol'browneye

Thats what happens when you don't have union representation. They can toy with your position and decide where THEY want you. As for the 23% pay cut, this is supper echelon saying "you don't like it we'll get someone who will".

Lower and middle management are being used as examples in a "team" effort to control costs. Thats my take anyway.

"supper echelon"? Do they eat the people below them?

pretzel_man

Yes I am management. I am a supervisor. I have been with the company for more than 10 years. I was working in corporate classified job. I came to work one day with no notice and was told I now work for the district in a position I did not want. To top it off, I took a 23% cut in pay. I guess I should be lucky to have a job, but it just pissed me off. Of course, no managers I have spoken with gives a ****, they just tell me how many jobs they have had to do over the years that they did not choose. However, they never lost pay. Anyone else heard of anything similar in salary ranks?>

Okay...

First, please explain the 23% cut?? It is EXTREMELY rare for salary to be cut. The first time I had supervisors report to me was 25 years ago. In all that time, I've never seen it. So please explain that one.

Second, any management person should realize that their job assignment can change at any time, right?? I've had countless assignments in my career. Some I wanted, some I didn't. In fact, I was just told that my job is going to change in the near future.... This goes along with the territory, right??

Kurt Kuehn has stated that he is looking to reduce corporate overhead. The only way that will happen is to reduce corporate staffing.

One of the good things about being in management is the many different assignments one can have. Over the years, I've worked in IE, Operations (multiple ones), Corporate special assignments, Region, and Finance.

While many people are not happy with job changes, they can be some of the best experiences. If you are good, you will have the ability to show a new team your skills and strengths.

Best of luck,

P-Man

hangin455

I am seeing staff supervisors filling op's positions. This reduces the non operations cost and fills open operations assignments without having to hire new sup's. That's the official line anyway. I suspect that they have no new management candidates. I really wonder where the operations sup's are going to come from in the future. The hourly have a negotiated contract - Mgmt gets no raise this year. The stock has sunk and has yet to bounce back. Where's the incentive to go into Mgmt?

undercoversupe

Okay...

First, please explain the 23% cut?? It is EXTREMELY rare for salary to be cut. The first time I had supervisors report to me was 25 years ago. In all that time, I've never seen it. So please explain that one.

Second, any management person should realize that their job assignment can change at any time, right?? I've had countless assignments in my career. Some I wanted, some I didn't. In fact, I was just told that my job is going to change in the near future.... This goes along with the territory, right??

Kurt Kuehn has stated that he is looking to reduce corporate overhead. The only way that will happen is to reduce corporate staffing.

One of the good things about being in management is the many different assignments one can have. Over the years, I've worked in IE, Operations (multiple ones), Corporate special assignments, Region, and Finance.

While many people are not happy with job changes, they can be some of the best experiences. If you are good, you will have the ability to show a new team your skills and strengths.

Best of luck,

P-Man[/QUOTE

I can't say too much, because mgmt from my district surfs this site. I have already raised enough hell. I will not say where I am working because I will get screwed. (I will end up being an on car supe if I complain anymore.) I am a grade 14. I was told my position did not go away, but my services were needed eleswhere. My Compa ratio was too high in my new job, so I lost money. UPS does not follow the old school salaries anymore. Remember when we went to the broadband structure? It mentioned something about salaries being adjusted. I did not get demoted. Sorry for being so incognito, later.

pretzel_man

Okay...

Best of luck,

P-Man[/QUOTE

I can't say too much, because mgmt from my district surfs this site. I have already raised enough hell. I will not say where I am working because I will get screwed. (I will end up being an on car supe if I complain anymore.) I am a grade 14. I was told my position did not go away, but my services were needed eleswhere. My Compa ratio was too high in my new job, so I lost money. UPS does not follow the old school salaries anymore. Remember when we went to the broadband structure? It mentioned something about salaries being adjusted. I did not get demoted. Sorry for being so incognito, later.

Are you telling me that your actual salary in your paycheck was reduced? That one I havn't seen. I have people that report to me that are above the maximum for their grade. They didn't get a pay reduction, just have not had raises in a while.

Again, new jobs are a good thing usually.

P-Man

beentheredonethat

Just one question, Did your base pay get cut because you went into a job like BD, where you now are eligible for SIP? (Sales Bonus). If so, then it's really not a cut as you indicated, sinnce all the folks in BD have a lower base pay due to reduced\no raises for years, elimination of 1/2 month bonus etc and that money is put into SIP. Some folks do great. Others dont' get much if any of the SIP. But usually the first quarter or two you can opt to be on a guaranteed SIP bonus.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Everything changed when we went public. Hang in there and do the best job that you can. How you manage the transition will be watched and determine promotability down the road. Also, know that you are not alone as this has happened to many and if I read the indicators properly, there will be many more. Good luck and go with a positive attitude! The better you manage the change, the quicker you will recoup your losses and surpass them.
Well said. Nice way of allaying the OP's anger as well as giving them food for thought.

37% of people get a 23% reduction in pay at some point in their lives.
And the othe 1/2 work at FedEx.:wink2:

Okay...

Best of luck,

P-Man[/QUOTE

Sniff.....sniff..............sniff..............Do I smell a Troll?:surprised:

Tell us more about MGMT from your district surfing this site. Ask them if the word, STUG, means anything to them.:wink2:

M

Mike23

90% sure in Canada a 'pay cut' without an hourly cut is illegal unless you agree to it. Of course with UPS most management would. Union For Life, baby! UFL!

S

speeddemon

And your just finding out they will do this? I wish the best for you. You look out for you, because we are all expendable.

whiskey

Your the first I've heard to receive a pay cut.
Looks like you started with UPS right around the time of the IPO in 1999. I personally knew 6 managers under the age of 50 that quit UPS 6 months after the IPO. And they took with them the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

tieguy

Banned
Okay...

P-Man[/QUOTE

wow an undercover sup.

I think you're a little too vague with the details. If you're even afraid of giving general details there we can't help you. Last time I check we still worked for Uncle parcel not the CIA.

File an EDR case for the lost wages.

Then file one asking for protection from whatever bogeyman you think will screw you over.

then answer some questions here.