Season helper - anyone had problems with their driver?

capers8

I really don't understand why it's so hard for people to be a decent helper. Show up on time, appear eager and ready to work quickly. Follow driver instructions and keep chatting to a minimum. Done.
I really don't understand why it's so hard for people to not understand why there are so many bad helpers. They're recruited from a group of people that are unemployed and have no better offers than a one-month, part-time, physically-demanding job, making close to minimum wage. Can you really not understand why there aren't many decent helpers?

Holydriver

I've been out 3 days in a row, and 2 of those days were fine, but today the driver had a hair across his butt. Trust me, I understand how tired and over-worked people are. But his behavior was unacceptable. I am wondering how others are feeling.
fact is, buddy, that driver is your boss during the day. and having a boss all up your ass is part of it. im sure it sucks, but just keep on rolling.

Holydriver

I really don't understand why it's so hard for people to not understand why there are so many bad helpers. They're recruited from a group of people that are unemployed and have no better offers than a one-month, part-time, physically-demanding job, making close to minimum wage. Can you really not understand why there aren't many decent helpers?
i wont lie. all my helpers have been good. only one i didnt like is the guy that didnt talk to me at all over a long long day. outside of not talking, he worked hard. seems most drivers dont want their helpers to talk but i do.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I can't understand why people still rationalize mediocrity with low pay. Yes, it's hard work. Yes, it's low pay. Yes, we drivers can be a pain. Does that excuse the helper for being late or doing a poor job. Not in my book. I am fortunate that when I finally got a helper this year, she worked hard and is a pleasant person. But I made it clear, the harder she works, the longer I keep her.

capers8

I can't understand why people still rationalize mediocrity with low pay. Yes, it's hard work. Yes, it's low pay. Yes, we drivers can be a pain. Does that excuse the helper for being late or doing a poor job. Not in my book. I am fortunate that when I finally got a helper this year, she worked hard and is a pleasant person. But I made it clear, the harder she works, the longer I keep her.
You're thinking about it backwards. Low pay doesn't lead to mediocre work, mediocre work leads to low pay. The kind of people getting these low paying jobs are more often the kind of people who are mediocre workers. Better workers get higher paying jobs.

BeachBoy

Bad days happen.
Yesterday, we started the day off with 750+ pieces on the package car at 11:00 am. Totally bricked. At 5:00 after businesses and pickups, we had 50 stops in and 800 pieces on the truck.
My driver and myself were both pissed off and frustrated as hell.
We were both snapping at each other, but more pissed at dispatch. Finished up the day with 200 stops still undelivered.
Come Sunday morning, we'll be back to laughing and joking, even with 400 stops to do.

UPSGUY72

I have a helper that has to go to the bathroom every 2 hours and will not go in the woods. Walks like a snail, can't or just won't follow instructions, doesn't know the difference between front, side or back door. Has trouble closing the car door even I can close it with out even touching it from the driver seat. He a diabetic and eats candy and donuts all day along with drinking diet cokes. I could go on.

The driver most likely isn't the problem a know it all entitled kids probably is.

Jonathan Carlson

I signed in with google and the username was chosen for me - I am not changing it. I have had two drivers in 3 days of work. The first day with Justin was fine (7 hrs due to misload). The second day with Lisa was fine (raining most of the day for 6 hrs). Then the third day I am with Justin again. I get on the truck and we head off without saying too much.

At the very first stop he pulls just past the drive way onto the embankment and starts to pull out a larger package. Sometimes drivers move things around and so I don't know if this is what I am delivering. So I say "A big one, huh" because I need to think about getting the hand truck. He says "No, it's a small one! Want the hand truck" in a manner that implies I might be a pusillanimous. I pick it up to test the weight because he refuses to tell me the actual weight and determine I can carry it up this hill (paved driveway). When I get back I ask "Are you in a bad mood" because things were fine the other day between us. We got a lot done. He says that he's tired and he wants to home. It's 11:15 am. I understand this week and next are very difficult so I prepare for a busy, but silent day.

We do another stop at property with several structures. He tells me to put it on the porch. I cannot see the porch on the few visible structures so I say "What porch?" He points to his left and I realize there is another house blocked by the truck.

We get do the third stop and he points to the house and says "Side door" so I start walking, but apparently I didn't make a B-line so he says "Walk across the grass!" In orientation they taught us not to do this, so occasionally I would use the walkway if it were close enough and Justin hated this. If he said so, I would use the grass. But this time, he was just busting my balls because it hardly mattered at all. So I said "I can handle it - they told us to use walkways in training so that's what I am going to do." He said "Give me the package" I said "No,I can do it" because I was halfway there with the package in hand. He said "Fine, then I'm leaving without you." And he did! He passed me several times (once to drop off my belongings at my car) I had to walk a mile on a very busy road. I was furious.

In addition to smoking while driving, I think Justin violates other rules (like taking a paid lunch; instead he takes a few 10 min breaks). I am not inclined to go after someone's job because of a minor infraction, but this is ludicrous. He deserves to be fired.

Anthonysg0113

I signed in with google and the username was chosen for me - I am not changing it. I have had two drivers in 3 days of work. The first day with Justin was fine (7 hrs due to misload). The second day with Lisa was fine (raining most of the day for 6 hrs). Then the third day I am with Justin again. I get on the truck and we head off without saying too much.

At the very first stop he pulls just past the drive way onto the embankment and starts to pull out a larger package. Sometimes drivers move things around and so I don't know if this is what I am delivering. So I say "A big one, huh" because I need to think about getting the hand truck. He says "No, it's a small one! Want the hand truck" in a manner that implies I might be a pusillanimous. I pick it up to test the weight because he refuses to tell me the actual weight and determine I can carry it up this hill (paved driveway). When I get back I ask "Are you in a bad mood" because things were fine the other day between us. We got a lot done. He says that he's tired and he wants to home. It's 11:15 am. I understand this week and next are very difficult so I prepare for a busy, but silent day.

We do another stop at property with several structures. He tells me to put it on the porch. I cannot see the porch on the few visible structures so I say "What porch?" He points to his left and I realize there is another house blocked by the truck.

We get do the third stop and he points to the house and says "Side door" so I start walking, but apparently I didn't make a B-line so he says "Walk across the grass!" In orientation they taught us not to do this, so occasionally I would use the walkway if it were close enough and Justin hated this. If he said so, I would use the grass. But this time, he was just busting my balls because it hardly mattered at all. So I said "I can handle it - they told us to use walkways in training so that's what I am going to do." He said "Give me the package" I said "No,I can do it" because I was halfway there with the package in hand. He said "Fine, then I'm leaving without you." And he did! He passed me several times (once to drop off my belongings at my car) I had to walk a mile on a very busy road. I was furious.

In addition to smoking while driving, I think Justin violates other rules (like taking a paid lunch; instead he takes a few 10 min breaks). I am not inclined to go after someone's job because of a minor infraction, but this is ludicrous. He deserves to be fired.
I know you had a rough time , but he has a job after Christmas.

Jonathan Carlson

I did not ask the driver about being hired after peak. I did not show up late. I did not call in sick. I did not ask to go home early. These assumptions are unnecessary and rude.

UPSGUY72

Want to bet?

LOL. He's in the union there is nothing you could tell someone that would get him fired. Your a helper no one would believe you anyways... He has already told everyone including his SUP and center manager that your a tool....

I dropped my helper off at a Dunkin donuts 2 towns away from his car 2 years ago and nothing happen to me and he made a corporate complaint.

But good luck....

Last edited: