Seasonal Driver Interview Process/Training

rm86

Hey everyone, I currently have an interview for a seasonal driving position this Tuesday. I worked last winter as a driver helper, and the "interview" turned out to be a one hour presentation on why we shouldn't take the job and how horrible the work is for low pay (they even recommended applying to McDonalds as they pay more than the 8.75 we were going to get) followed by a 2 minute interview where they basically gave you the job. I really enjoyed working for UPS and am excited about the opportunity to get experience as a seasonal driver this year. I'd like to hear from previous or current seasonal drivers as well as others as to what I should expect from this initial interview. I'm also curious to hear about the training process for seasonal drivers and how long I could expect this all to take before I start driving, if I'm able to make it through. Thanks.

ocnewguy

Hey everyone, I currently have an interview for a seasonal driving position this Tuesday. I worked last winter as a driver helper, and the "interview" turned out to be a one hour presentation on why we shouldn't take the job and how horrible the work is for low pay (they even recommended applying to McDonalds as they pay more than the 8.75 we were going to get) followed by a 2 minute interview where they basically gave you the job. I really enjoyed working for UPS and am excited about the opportunity to get experience as a seasonal driver this year. I'd like to hear from previous or current seasonal drivers as well as others as to what I should expect from this initial interview. I'm also curious to hear about the training process for seasonal drivers and how long I could expect this all to take before I start driving, if I'm able to make it through. Thanks.

$8.75? That's what they pay seasonal drivers? That IS a mistake, right?

EddieBoy

I start this Wednesday as a seasonal driver at $16.10/hr and if not enough driver work is available, I will be a driver helper at $12.00/hr.

We just finished 5 days of basic (safety) training. Lot's of memorization expected, especially 5 seeing habits required word for word.

Good Luck!

UPSGUY72

If you do get the seasonal driver job you last day work will most likely be Dec 21. That leaves you with 46 days that you could possibly drive if you started driving tomorrow.

UPSGUY72

We deliver on the 24th. I would think we would run them to the end.

There are no pickups on the 24th but I also agree that we would run them to the end.

I would bet a lot of business are closing the 24. I would agree using them to the end but I don't see it happening. Especially with no pickups. Also the fact that it starts another pay week just more hassle for hr.

Dereks

I've been a Seasonal for a couple weeks now, and love it. In CT it's 16.10/Hr, and the initial interviews are a lot like the others for seasonal help; initially, they will try to scare off as many as possible going through the policies, rules, etc. They're just looking to eliminate the weakest links; if you last through the whole informal section of the interview, you'll have a quick 5 minute interview one-on-one with the HR person, and most likely afterwards they will try to immediately set you up for a road test; if not that very day, shortly after. The road test, you drive with a Sup who takes you around town in the truck in worst condition with the least favorable options; no power steering, standard trans, etc. to test your ability to handle the standard trans. and the size of the vehicle and a bit of your safety on the road. If you get the ok at that point, they will send you in for a DOT physical and order a uniform or two for you. After all that is said and done, you will have a 5 day orientation, 4 days of Safety Training with a LOT of memorization as mentioned previously (which you will learn then) and also a few on-road trips with a safety sup where they will grade your application of what they're teaching you. It's like a driving boot camp for a week, BUT if you pass, your fifth day you will go to your center for the day, get a tour and do a ride-along to get a taste of a days worth of work. Pass that, and you'll get more uniforms, and the next week start driving a route with a sup for a few weeks until they're 100% comfortable with you driving a route solo.

If at any point you feel like it's too much.... tough it out. Its the best job ever, and you're gonna love it. My first week driving with a Sup, Day 1 we did the whole route together, Day 2 he backed off some and had me deliver everything while he grabbed packages for me, Day 3 he helped in the AM and made me drop him off for a few hours, and by Day 4 he had me driving solo. I've been driving for about 2 weeks now and I love it, the guys at my center are great and very helpful, my Sups are very cool, helpful and treat you with respect, and the job is awesome. I have a (pretty) regular route of my own that only slightly varies on Fridays (due to lack of deliveries, then I just help other routes) I have an OK truck; has the Spicer trans I've gotten used to and (thankfully) power steering, and I love driving. The job is great, and I'll be back every season I'm offered until something Full Time presents itself. My Sup teased me a bit with the mentioning of a lot of full timers retiring this coming year and there will be a few openings to good seasonals due to a lack of possible internal hires. Trying not to get my hopes up, but still busting A** regardless.

Good Luck, feel free to ask if you have any questions, I'll help as much as I can.

Derek

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would bet a lot of business are closing the 24. I would agree using them to the end but I don't see it happening. Especially with no pickups. Also the fact that it starts another pay week just more hassle for hr.

It's the one day of the year when they want everyone done as early as possible. My guess is they work everybody.

OptimusPrime

Xmas seasonal is 10X better than summer. No sweltering heat, people are in a great mood, happy to see there gifts arrive, and more often then not, it seemed someone along the route had cookies/candy for us. What was really nice was the rented Uhauls. Sure they are a pain to get in and out of, but sports talk radio makes the day go much faster. Especially with the fact it's all about football that time of year. #GoIrish #ChuckStrong

rm86

Hey thanks for the reply Dereks, I'm pretty excited to get through the process and start working. Hopefully I can get through the road test, it's been a few years since I drove a manual transmission, though I did grow up driving one. How was your test?

Dereks

RM86- You shouldn't really have any problems with the road test, take it slow and easy, watch your mirrors, stay a little under the speed limit, and try not to stall. If you're not really comfortable with the truck, just do a couple practice laps around the parking lot and tell your road test sup you just wanna get a feel for the clutch- they wont mind a bit. And driving the manual really isn't that tough; it'll all come right back to you, and the clutch and gears are so sloppy you don't need to be perfect, just slam the clutch all the way in and smack that stick around. The toughest part for me was just finding the gears; you gotta get it right in the notch of course, but there's SO much play you fiddle around for a minute trying to find it.

Regardless, you will do fine. Like I said, take it slow and easy, they just wanna see you're a SAFE driver, they really don't care if you can drive that rig like mario andretti. My previous job, I was a car appraiser for CarMax in a pretty wealthy area, and drove peoples high end cars; ferrari, lambos, porsches you name it. Learned how to drive a ton of super touchy clutches and gearboxes, and with these trucks, it didn't even matter, they're their own challenge.

Good Luck, and have fun!