Seasonal Driver's Helper- Start Tomorrow AM

mkbomb

Howdy All,
Had my interview w/ HR this afternoon. Background Check came through fine. According to HR, she said I'm "Good to Go" and to report for 9AM for Training, etc.
I shaved my beloved goatee and sideburns, got my boots ready, gonna leave my cell in the car. Recently lost a very great and stable job, have a wife and 2 young kids. I know it would be foolish to count on it, but I'm really praying this could turn into something. I believe I am ready and willing to work hard and safely. ANY advice would be awesome, particularly pertaining to the first day "Training".
Thanks Very Much!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
wow,, how do you tell the truth to such a positive person..? wish you the best man,, thats all i will add

Super64

The best advice I can give you:

Work smarter not harder.
Learn how to use the DIAD if your driver will let you.
Be an asset to your driver and not a liability.
Learn how to get into the jumpseat and have your seatbelt on in under 8 seconds.
Use the handrail (If equipped)
Your driver will probably drive like a madman and commit more moving violations in a 20 minute period then most people do during their entire lives. Hold onto something solid at all times and wear your seatbelt. (If equipped and/or in working order)
Keep your left arm away from the dam bulkhead door when your in the jump seat, this is especially important in the older tins as some drivers love to run around with the dam door open.
Walk like you have a ****ing purpose in life. Don't run, and watch out for the yard gnomes and pink flamingos. Your DIAD and what ever package you may be carrying can be used as a shield/weapon in the event of dog attack.
Remember that dump stops are fun, late pickups at hooters are funner.
If you thought the truck was heavy today, smile, tomorrow will be worse.
Do not throw any packages as corporate tends to fire those who end up on youtube as a result of somebody's CCTV system.

mkbomb

The best advice I can give you:

Work smarter not harder.
Learn how to use the DIAD if your driver will let you.
Be an asset to your driver and not a liability.
Learn how to get into the jumpseat and have your seatbelt on in under 8 seconds.
Use the handrail (If equipped)
Your driver will probably drive like a madman and commit more moving violations in a 20 minute period then most people do during their entire lives. Hold onto something solid at all times and wear your seatbelt. (If equipped and/or in working order)
Keep your left arm away from the dam bulkhead door when your in the jump seat, this is especially important in the older tins as some drivers love to run around with the dam door open.
Walk like you have a ****ing purpose in life. Don't run, and watch out for the yard gnomes and pink flamingos. Your DIAD and what ever package you may be carrying can be used as a shield/weapon in the event of dog attack.
Remember that dump stops are fun, late pickups at hooters are funner.
If you thought the truck was heavy today, smile, tomorrow will be worse.
Do not throw any packages as corporate tends to fire those who end up on youtube as a result of somebody's CCTV system.

Thanks very much for taking the time to type all that out for me. Will do!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks very much for taking the time to type all that out for me. Will do!!!

Do yourself a favor and ignore about half of what he typed. Drivers are professionals and will not "commit more moving violations..." nor will they "love to run around with the damn door open...".

You will need to have a sense of purpose. Don't run but walk at a brisk pace. Cross behind the pkg car. You are there to assist the driver but that does not mean he gets to sit on his butt. The ideal would be for both of you to be delivering at the same time.

robot

Has A Large Member
Good luck!

Most drivers tip their helpers between $100-200. Be sure to mention that to your driver!

Good Luck Man! Im on Day Two! Bust your Ass and he will request you! My driver showed me how to use the Diad to Do Sigs And Today He Will be showing me DRs.
Mostly a buisness route. Small resi area.
Have Fun!

mkbomb

I'm starting Monday. Was told they will call around 7:30 AM EST, and If I don't hear from anyone by 9AM, to call in myself. Am going to make $8.50/hr. Forgot to ask if we are paid weekly. From the mixture of posters here whining but THEN actual stories FROM UPS Safety guy telling us that customers sometimes tip in anything from Candy to Cash to bottles of booze, it's making me nuts, haha. I hope I hit it off with my Driver, and that he DOESN'T want to use me as a wheel chock, YIKES!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm starting Monday. Was told they will call around 7:30 AM EST, and If I don't hear from anyone by 9AM, to call in myself. Am going to make $8.50/hr. Forgot to ask if we are paid weekly. From the mixture of posters here whining but THEN actual stories FROM UPS Safety guy telling us that customers sometimes tip in anything from Candy to Cash to bottles of booze, it's making me nuts, haha. I hope I hit it off with my Driver, and that he DOESN'T want to use me as a wheel chock, YIKES!!!

You will work 15-19 days. Show up on time ready to work. Forget about the tips--those are for the driver. Your driver will take care of you if you take care of him. This is the third year that I will be with the same helper. He has a 3 yr old son and I plan on giving him cash to get the kid something for Christmas. I also take him out to lunch on our last day.