Seasonal Feeder Training

Gomer

I’m sure this isn’t the first post about this but I searched a few times and didn’t find much.

So let me begin. I just got hired on for a Seasonal Feeder Driver spot. I am basically a brand new CDL-A driver. I just got out of the Army and got my license while I was in. I’ve driven for a few weeks at another company and maybe 20k miles during my 5 years in the Army but all of that was not Class A stuff. So as expected I ain’t exactly Picasso Behring the wheel.

I did my road test/interview. I drove as expected. Like dog :censored2:. But I was safe. Clutched by the numbers and kept my lane and follow distances. Granted I stalled the truck 3 :censored2:ing times. Somehow they liked me enough to let me go embarrass myself during my one week of Feeder training.

Anyway I am leaving the company I work for now and go to my single week of Feeder training soon.

Considering if I don’t pass the final road test after that week and I currently am as stated above more or less a new driver and thus dog :censored2:. What can I do to maximize the week of training?

Only one week to learn the Big Brown Way worries me. I started memorizing word for word the 10 Point Commentary. Anything else I can do to make my life easier during Feeder Driver training? I really would prefer my tenure at Big Brown being longer then a week.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I’m sure this isn’t the first post about this but I searched a few times and didn’t find much.

So let me begin. I just got hired on for a Seasonal Feeder Driver spot. I am basically a brand new CDL-A driver. I just got out of the Army and got my license while I was in. I’ve driven for a few weeks at another company and maybe 20k miles during my 5 years in the Army but all of that was not Class A stuff. So as expected I ain’t exactly Picasso Behring the wheel.

I did my road test/interview. I drove as expected. Like dog :censored2:. But I was safe. Clutched by the numbers and kept my lane and follow distances. Granted I stalled the truck 3 :censored2:ing times. Somehow they liked me enough to let me go embarrass myself during my one week of Feeder training.

Anyway I am leaving the company I work for now and go to my single week of Feeder training soon.

Considering if I don’t pass the final road test after that week and I currently am as stated above more or less a new driver and thus dog :censored2:. What can I do to maximize the week of training?

Only one week to learn the Big Brown Way worries me. I started memorizing word for word the 10 Point Commentary. Anything else I can do to make my life easier during Feeder Driver training? I really would prefer my tenure at Big Brown being longer then a week.

Watch this over and over

Gomer

Watch this over and over
I already have my CDL do I need to memorize this during my one week too? I am curious what the corse load will be. I know it’s usally one week of CDL school and one week of production.

I have no idea how the one week Seasonal Feeder school is run though.

And thank you I will start to memorize it the best I can!

Mack37

It’s probably different everywhere but I’ll tell you how it was for me. The first day I did the goofiest amount of paperwork ever followed by another more extensive road test. The rest of the week was out doing runs, they went over how to do the pretrip and how to hook and break down sets. My trainer only observed me the first day and after that he was inside BSing when I got everything ready to go. The test was the last day and I didn’t even know it was happening, was told afterwards.

I’ve been driving truck a long time so it wasn’t really anything too difficult but learning how ups likes every thing is a bit different. Are you having problems shifting or backing? Oh and the ten point commentary was never brought up with me.

Gomer

It’s probably different everywhere but I’ll tell you how it was for me. The first day I did the goofiest amount of paperwork ever followed by another more extensive road test. The rest of the week was out doing runs, they went over how to do the pretrip and how to hook and break down sets. My trainer only observed me the first day and after that he was inside BSing when I got everything ready to go. The test was the last day and I didn’t even know it was happening, was told afterwards.

I’ve been driving truck a long time so it wasn’t really anything too difficult but learning how ups likes every thing is a bit different. Are you having problems shifting or backing? Oh and the ten point commentary was never brought up with me.
Yeah I am not the best at shifting (not horrific just really rusty tbh) and backing isn’t my expertise as I’m still a new driver.

I am definitely behind the learning curve.

My supervisor told me going into this that traditionally they don’t hire new drivers and usually expect their drivers to come in at a much higher skill set. I have a feeling being a disabled Vet and having a 20+ Year Driver personally recommend me was the reason I got the chance. Because it definitely wasn’t my driving. So I am extraordinarily concerned with being able to keep up.

Gomer

Yes, they will expect you to know this.
Anything else that they will test/expect I know?

I’m learning word for word the 10point commentary. Is the 5 point or that backing rule thing required too?

What can I memorize in these few weeks before I start to ease some stress and let me worry about learning TO DRIVE?

I function well in stress. The Army taught me without my consent But I would prefer to minimize it if possible.

Mack37

Yeah I am not the best at shifting (not horrific just really rusty tbh) and backing isn’t my expertise as I’m still a new driver.

My supervisor told me going into this that traditionally they don’t hire new drivers and usually expect their drivers to come in at a much higher skill set. I have a feeling being a disabled Vet and having a 20+ Year Driver personally recommend me was the reason I got the chance. Because it definitely wasn’t my driving. So I am extraordinarily concerned with being able to keep up.

Depending on your location, there really shouldn’t be any crazy backing involved. Shifting is something that just comes with practice, though I will say that those natural gas tractors drive a little odd. For example, you said you killed it a couple times and that should never happen in a big truck unless you start off in way too high of a gear. You shouldn’t have to apply any throttle in a truck when taking off to keep from killing it but I came across plenty of UPS tractors where you had to.

Also, you should be looking at USPS as a veteran. All your time served applies to pension, leave etc.

Richard Cranium

Only push clutch in halfway and let off easy while applying foot pedal try to shift easy around 1000 rpm. Don't tell them you are disabled. When getting yelled at smile and shake his hand and tell him you will do better tomorrow. Lastly, shine boots shave beard if you have one and cover tattoos if you have any. Some hubs-centers are starving for drivers so your chances may be good.

I don't know about off the street hires, but most delivery drivers who bid into Feeders have zero experience driving the big trucks and most qualify.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
Anything else that they will test/expect I know?

I’m learning word for word the 10point commentary. Is the 5 point or that backing rule thing required too?

What can I memorize in these few weeks before I start to ease some stress and let me worry about learning TO DRIVE?

I function well in stress. The Army taught me without my consent But I would prefer to minimize it if possible.

I missed the part that you were seasonal. So to revise my previous statement I’m not 100% sure they’ll make you do a full pretrip. However, I’d count on it to be safe.

Also, yes generally UPS expects everyone to know the 5’s, 10’s rules of backing and yard control. Again, since you’re listed as seasonal I’m not sure how much they’ll stress it.

However, we are on a mad hiring frenzy outside of seasonal. If you’d like a chance to make a name for yourself and a reason to keep you around, I’d recommend learning it all.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
I don't know about off the street hires, but most delivery drivers who bid into Feeders have zero experience driving the big trucks and most qualify.

I’d tend to agree. We have a smaller center where I’m from. We tend hover about a 60-70% pass rate. Not all make it. Some self DQ because it turns out feeder is not for them.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You absolutely need to know how to do a DOT pretrip. The 5 seeing habits and 10 point is not required for seasonal employees.
Im surprised you even passed a road test if you can't do a pretrip

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
He got his license while in the Army. My son was going to do the same thing, it's not that difficult from what he told me.
I know they just hand you a license based on your work experience. But i was under the impression he passed a ups road test which would include a pre trip. Shifting. Backing. Etc. Very similar to a dot road test.

Johney

I know they just hand you a license based on your work experience. But i was under the impression he passed a ups road test which would include a pre trip. Shifting. Backing. Etc. Very similar to a dot road test.
I see what you mean. It appears since he had his license already they just gave him a road test? We don't have seasonal's here or anywhere even close as there are far too many full-time drivers wanting into feeders, so I don't really know how it works.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
We don't have seasonal's here or anywhere even close as there are far too many full-time drivers wanting into feeders, so I don't really know how it works.
We just use cover drivers then contract out the rest. Our yard has more gypsies than brown drivers during peak.