Seasonal hire union member

BrownRecycler

Union dues and fee are an payment owe for an insurance.

You agree to work seasonal. Seasonal means til season is over. You aren't a union member until after 30 days or however your local supplement jurisdiction specified your eligibility.

Find a job that isn't seasonal or work to become perm at UPS? Any dues and fee are still consider insurance premium owe for your protection.

Maybe, got to ask yourself, whether you :censored2: up when you agree to be seasonal as in temporarily? After all, you were one checkbox away from clicking on Perm position. Did you not see it? It was right there at the career application.

By clicking the Seasonal, you sold your heart to the devil or Santa? Whichever Christian friendly.

You learn a very hard Christmas lesson. Don't work for Santa. Work for yourself.

Last edited:
I recently got hired a few weeks ago as a seasonal driver helper for UPS. I was also forced to join a union in order to be hired. Being in a union protects me from being fired without good reason, yet being a seasonal driver helper I can get fired on the spot for no reason at all. My term of employment will end most likely after Christmas, or a few weeks after. The union started taking money right away from me on my first check. Will the union be of any use to me or am I just being robbed and ask for a refund after my employment is terminated?

The union won't do a thing for you as a seasonal helper; it's a joke, they don't even give you a pack of lube! Don't anyone bully you into mindlessly accepting this robbery, especially if you live in a right to work state! There are plenty of resources you can leverage to get your dues back!

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
Typically I don't take this route, but just QUIT!!! Don't come on here squawking that you were forced into being a helper. Take your infinite amount of work skills and knowledge to a different company. ✌

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I recently got hired a few weeks ago as a seasonal driver helper for UPS. I was also forced to join a union in order to be hired. Being in a union protects me from being fired without good reason, yet being a seasonal driver helper I can get fired on the spot for no reason at all. My term of employment will end most likely after Christmas, or a few weeks after. The union started taking money right away from me on my first check. Will the union be of any use to me or am I just being robbed and ask for a refund after my employment is terminated?

I'm guessing you are paying a service fee and not joining the Union. Totally different.

Juan Esteban

I keep reading about the advantages associated with being part of a union, that is debatable, but make no mistake the union is of absolutely no benefit to season driver helpers. In reality, the actions & decisions of the union actually work against the drivers helper. The new hourly compensation for helpers that will go into effect in 2019, $13/hr, is still close to a dollar less than Fed-Ex. In many areas, especially those with heavy snow, helpers would be beneficial until the end of January...but thanks to the union their hours are restricted & their season shortened.
Something will have to give soon. The pickings are already very slim and i don't foresee people jumping and paying for the opportunity to be randomly called and asked to bust their butt 2-3 days a week (maybe 20-25hrs) for $13/hr when they could work as many hours as they can handle, making $19.50 (w/benefits), at an Amazon distribution center. In my area Macy's was starting people at $18.75 for the first 40hrs then time and a half ($28.75) + $5.00 for every additional hour.
Things better chamge. Losing seasonal help would cripple UPS

Aspiring Jenga Master

I worked seasonally this year and wish I could have joined the union. I was fortunate enough to be rehired after season, but if not you can go to the local and get help finding another union job.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I keep reading about the advantages associated with being part of a union, that is debatable, but make no mistake the union is of absolutely no benefit to season driver helpers. In reality, the actions & decisions of the union actually work against the drivers helper. The new hourly compensation for helpers that will go into effect in 2019, $13/hr, is still close to a dollar less than Fed-Ex. In many areas, especially those with heavy snow, helpers would be beneficial until the end of January...but thanks to the union their hours are restricted & their season shortened.
Something will have to give soon. The pickings are already very slim and i don't foresee people jumping and paying for the opportunity to be randomly called and asked to bust their butt 2-3 days a week (maybe 20-25hrs) for $13/hr when they could work as many hours as they can handle, making $19.50 (w/benefits), at an Amazon distribution center. In my area Macy's was starting people at $18.75 for the first 40hrs then time and a half ($28.75) + $5.00 for every additional hour.
Things better chamge. Losing seasonal help would cripple UPS

The rate should have been $14 hour and not $13. The helper rate mirrors the starting p/t rate as of Aug 1. 2019

HavenoEDD

You are not being forced to join anything. The reality is that you are taking union work from a union member. Don’t like it..Amazon and FedEx are hiring. Ask them about how they are treated without union protections.

Jetboat1

If you had taken any warehouse job i.e. part time inside work. The company would very likely kept you on. As a drivers helper you will be let go after peak. Yes the union is not working for you. All I can offer you is free admission to the 50 percent of UPS employees who the union works against to provide greater benefits to the other half.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you had taken any warehouse job i.e. part time inside work. The company would very likely kept you on. As a drivers helper you will be let go after peak. Yes the union is not working for you. All I can offer you is free admission to the 50 percent of UPS employees who the union works against to provide greater benefits to the other half.

Wrong. I had at least four Christmas helpers that went on to work inside, and two became drivers.