Selling Under ISP sucks

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Ya, ALL FedEx has to do is fundamentally change their entire business model. Lulz, sorry contracting didn’t work for you. It’s not for everyone.

Why is it that nearly all of the former Ground guys who are married to the idea that Ground is a scam are guys who couldn't cut it? There's no shame in saying, "Contracting isn't for me" and it's a better look than making excuses for failure.

It will be fine

Why is it that nearly all of the former Ground guys who are married to the idea that Ground is a scam are guys who couldn't cut it? There's no shame in saying, "Contracting isn't for me" and it's a better look than making excuses for failure.
I don’t get why the risk is such a big deal. Yes, I could lose the contract with FedEx and my company would only have the trucks to sell. I could also continue to operate it well, keep making money and sell it off. It’s a risk like running any business, if I wanted safer employment I could find it. It’s not for everyone.

bacha29

I don’t get why the risk is such a big deal. Yes, I could lose the contract with FedEx and my company would only have the trucks to sell. I could also continue to operate it well, keep making money and sell it off. It’s a risk like running any business, if I wanted safer employment I could find it. It’s not for everyone.
A lot of demand for 10+ year old steps and cutaways I'm sure. By that time they're smelter bait. What else are you going to do with all of them ? Sign on to Amazon? The measure of a contractor is knowing when to go.

bbsam

Staff member
A lot of demand for 10+ year old steps and cutaways I'm sure. By that time they're smelter bait. What else are you going to do with all of them ? Sign on to Amazon? The measure of a contractor is knowing when to go.
Why keep old trucks? I usually turn them over after six to eight years.

bacha29

Why keep old trucks? I usually turn them over after six to eight years.
Still one of the fastest depreciating pieces of equipment known to the US economy. Moreover what alternative uses are there for them? How many more lunch trucks do you need in your town?

bbsam

Staff member
Still one of the fastest depreciating pieces of equipment known to the US economy. Moreover what alternative uses are there for them? How many more lunch trucks do you need in your town?
Lol. Who cares? I’m basically offloading them because I don’t want them anymore. You’d be surprised how many guys want a Chevy ls truck motor and transmission with the computer and wiring harness.

Fact is, I’m done with them. If I can sell it outright, fine. If it’s a parts vehicle, ok.

What I don’t want is vehicles breaking down every other day. If that means I need to keep renewing the fleet, so be it. Plus it’s a nice tax write off and drivers don’t like driving old crap.

bacha29

You realize you're dispensing your wisdom to guys who accomplished more in this business than you ever did, right?
A comment coming from a guy who has spent his entire adult life in the employment of someone else and rather unspectacular and inconsequential employment at that.

XEQaF

This isn't a discussion about former contractors are failures and current contractors are successful. It's a discussion about different points of view. Former contractors have a story to tell on their views and experiences and looking to share that. Current contractors share their views on how the model is working for them. Nothing to do with failure. As far as I can tell all the former contractors on here have SUCCESSFULLY left FedEx on their own terms and lived to tell the story that it's not all roses

bacha29

Yet you didn't dispute his veracity.
There wasn't any veracity there to dispute.
This isn't a discussion about former contractors are failures and current contractors are successful. It's a discussion about different points of view. Former contractors have a story to tell on their views and experiences and looking to share that. Current contractors share their views on how the model is working for them. Nothing to do with failure. As far as I can tell all the former contractors on here have SUCCESSFULLY left FedEx on their own terms and lived to tell the story that it's not all roses
Well spoken. Fedex is a nationwide carrier and as a result there will be wide variations in delivery environments.
Take for example the company's decision to take back all the Smart Post junk and deliver it themselves while paying a rock bottom rate. Now in the city it might be ok, but how about out in the mountainous rural area? Let me tell you what that's like in winter:

After several miles on an ice covered township dirt road you'll come to a mailbox. Some have numbers, some don't, so now you're guessing. Now 9 times out of 10 that house is either going to be down in a hole or up on a side hill with a dirt lane upwards of a half a mile long and with no catch basins, no cross pipes, no way to control the runoff it too is nothing but ice. Being that Ground is a doorstep carrier there's no leaving it out at the end of the road. You could try but you're going to hear about it and unless you've got a Quigley or a deuce and a half there's no use trying to drive it unless you want to spend the rest of the day stuck back in there.So what do you do? Well, you pick that crate up and start hiking it up that frozen ice covered turkey path falling down half a dozen times along the way. As a contractor you're paying and insuring a guy to spend most if not all day lugging around a box that pays what a .....$1.90 ? ....And more importantly given that you're paying a guy half the wages of his counterparts at the other carriers and zero benefits, how long do you think he's going to put up with it?

In snow belt rural America, this scenario is the rule not the exception and given that contractor profits are based on production , from my standpoint given my age, the time it would take to be surgically overhauled and modest profit potential expansion into multiple routes was a headache I didn't need.

Critically short on manpower the contractor/administrators at my station are calling me wanting to help get them out of the mess they're in. My response: "You wanted in there badly enough.More boxes requires more slave labor. Not my fault you ran out it".

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A comment coming from a guy who has spent his entire adult life in the employment of someone else and rather unspectacular and inconsequential employment at that.

If you want to look at it that way, I was offered rather unspectacular and inconsequential employment that came with a nice benefits package; you bought rather unspectacular and inconsequential employment that came with no benefits package.

Congrats, I guess?

bacha29

If you want to look at it that way, I was offered rather unspectacular and inconsequential employment that came with a nice benefits package; you bought rather unspectacular and inconsequential employment that came with no benefits package.

Congrats, I guess?
Once again jumping over preceding events. You applied for that unspectacular and inconsequential employment. It isn't like they stopped you along the street somewhere.

Star B

White Lightening
Well spoken. Fedex is a nationwide carrier and as a result there will be wide variations in delivery environments.Take for example the company's decision to take back all the Smart Post junk and deliver it themselves while paying a rock bottom rate. Now in the city it might be ok, but how about out in the mountainous rural area? (deleted babbling)

Then they discontinue their contract next time it comes up. Enough of them do that will put Fred in a position to pay more for services out in the weeds or go back to diverting them to the post office in those areas.

I'm still getting smartpost shipments via the post office. kinda sucks when it takes an extra day even though the ground driver is down my street daily.

XEQaF

There wasn't any veracity there to dispute.

Well spoken. Fedex is a nationwide carrier and as a result there will be wide variations in delivery environments.
Take for example the company's decision to take back all the Smart Post junk and deliver it themselves while paying a rock bottom rate. Now in the city it might be ok, but how about out in the mountainous rural area? Let me tell you what that's like in winter:

After several miles on an ice covered township dirt road you'll come to a mailbox. Some have numbers, some don't, so now you're guessing. Now 9 times out of 10 that house is either going to be down in a hole or up on a side hill with a dirt lane upwards of a half a mile long and with no catch basins, no cross pipes, no way to control the runoff it too is nothing but ice. Being that Ground is a doorstep carrier there's no leaving it out at the end of the road. You could try but you're going to hear about it and unless you've got a Quigley or a deuce and a half there's no use trying to drive it unless you want to spend the rest of the day stuck back in there.So what do you do? Well, you pick that crate up and start hiking it up that frozen ice covered turkey path falling down half a dozen times along the way. As a contractor you're paying and insuring a guy to spend most if not all day lugging around a box that pays what a .....$1.90 ? ....And more importantly given that you're paying a guy half the wages of his counterparts at the other carriers and zero benefits, how long do you think he's going to put up with it?

In snow belt rural America, this scenario is the rule not the exception and given that contractor profits are based on production , from my standpoint given my age, the time it would take to be surgically overhauled and modest profit potential expansion into multiple routes was a headache I didn't need.

Critically short on manpower the contractor/administrators at my station are calling me wanting to help get them out of the mess they're in. My response: "You wanted in there badly enough.More boxes requires more slave labor. Not my fault you ran out it".

Yep I hear ya brother. I had a rural route within my contract that basically sucked the life out of my more "profitable" runs. It didn't matter how the core zones factored into the mileage this driver had to put in to deliver these items to the doorstep winter or summer. Burning more gas, more tire, oil, truck washes, regular maintenance, tow expenses in the snow, overtime pay, and she sometimes could only do 2 stops an hour because of the distance between stops.

My intown routes which produced more stops per hour had to cover the added expenses of running a single rural route in my area.
You can even see how unwanted rural routes are when you look at Canada's largest courier company Purolator looking to use the independent contractor model in some of the areas. Can you guess what areas they are looking to contract out? It's the rural areas. None of the high density areas within city centers are up for bid. They keep those for themselves.

So for those "successful" contracts on here that tow the company line, be grateful that your turnkey operations doesn't have some of the difficulties that other contractors have to face. It isn't all standard right across the board boys

It will be fine

Yep I hear ya brother. I had a rural route within my contract that basically sucked the life out of my more "profitable" runs. It didn't matter how the core zones factored into the mileage this driver had to put in to deliver these items to the doorstep winter or summer. Burning more gas, more tire, oil, truck washes, regular maintenance, tow expenses in the snow, overtime pay, and she sometimes could only do 2 stops an hour because of the distance between stops.

My intown routes which produced more stops per hour had to cover the added expenses of running a single rural route in my area.
You can even see how unwanted rural routes are when you look at Canada's largest courier company Purolator looking to use the independent contractor model in some of the areas. Can you guess what areas they are looking to contract out? It's the rural areas. None of the high density areas within city centers are up for bid. They keep those for themselves.

So for those "successful" contracts on here that tow the company line, be grateful that your turnkey operations doesn't have some of the difficulties that other contractors have to face. It isn't all standard right across the board boys
You know there are different challenges with urban routes, right?

XEQaF

You know there are different challenges with urban routes, right?

I absolutely know there are challenges in urban routes. If I were to pick my challenges I would always choose the one of least resistance. Case in point: Purolator contracting out rural routes not urban routes

McFeely

Huge Member
Serious question for the Ground contractors: Do they not tell you what zip codes/areas you're buying when you pick up routes?

I mean, I cannot even fathom buying a route in an area that you guys are complaining about without even seeing numbers or driving around the area. Due diligence and all that jazz...

bbsam

Staff member
Serious question for the Ground contractors: Do they not tell you what zip codes/areas you're buying when you pick up routes?

I mean, I cannot even fathom buying a route in an area that you guys are complaining about without even seeing numbers or driving around the area. Due diligence and all that jazz...
Absolutely. All that information is available.