Senior driver wants to bump me off my bid route

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Please explain. I believe if your area is broken and split between two other areas, you may only follow the larger portion if your seniority allows. Meaning you have more seniority than the driver where your work went.

@542thruNthru already posted the language.

If it's a two-way split, you can follow the portion that is in excess of50% of the delivery stops, without taking seniority into account. The language does not say if seniority allows, for a two-way split.

Now, if it is a three-way split or more, seniority does come into play.

Up In Smoke

If it's a two-way split, you can follow the portion that is in excess of50% of the delivery stops, without taking seniority into account. The language does not say if seniority allows, for a two-way split.

Now, if it is a three-way split or more, seniority does come into play.[/QUOT
I went back and reviewed local grievance decisions on this Article and found that we (our local) recognizes seniority in all cases of bumping work areas. This is a non precedent setting decision set forth by our local and state labor panel. This affected driver should check with his BA to see what local seniority practices are in place.

Up In Smoke

Now, if it is a three-way split or more, seniority does come into play.
I went back and reviewed past grievances that pertained to this article. Our local recognizes seniority in all cases of bumping work assignments. These were non precedent setting decisions and are subject to further discussion if business needs change. This driver should see if his/her local recognizes a different seniority practice than stated in the contract.

DOK

Not here. If you have seniority, you can follow "your work" when your route is cut.
That’s the thing. The dispatcher can control which route is cut, it’s no longer “your work”. Dispatcher could’ve kept the senior guys route on by moving all the work to him.
I’ve been on the same route for 25 years, I like it because it is never cut, even on typical slow days, day after Xmas etc. A few routes have spawned off of my route recently because it always comes up heavy. Some days I’d like some of those stops back because my route has less than 8 hours, I ask dispatcher can I have some of my bid work back, he says it’s not “your work”. Very frustrating.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I went back and reviewed past grievances that pertained to this article. Our local recognizes seniority in all cases of bumping work assignments. These were non precedent setting decisions and are subject to further discussion if business needs change. This driver should see if his/her local recognizes a different seniority practice than stated in the contract.

Are you sure about that. Is there a grievance decision based on a 2 way split? The Central is clear on the language, although locals can still agree on their own practice.

I have never seen a route cut and split among only 2 other routes. That is a 2 way split.

Every route cut I have seen has at least of few stops going to a 3rd and 4th route.

Up In Smoke

Are you sure about that. Is there a grievance decision based on a 2 way split? The Central is clear on the language, although locals can still agree on their own practice.

I have never seen a route cut and split among only 2 other routes. That is a 2 way split.

Every route cut I have seen has at least of few stops going to a 3rd and 4th route.
Ever since Saturday delivery, we have numerous baselines (routes with 90% or better of residential deliveries) that are broken on Mondays and their 20 or stops are split between two neighboring routes.

barnyard

KTM rider
MG,MPLS, or EAG?
or one of the many outstate buildings. I am in 638 and have followed my work and another driver followed his work. The only time I can follow mine is when the regular guys are off, I am the low seniority guy in my loop.

Last edited:

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
In the Central I believe the language states: If a route is broken and given to only two areas, the driver who's route was broken may follow the larger portion of his work ( del stops only) where seniority permits. If the route is broken and placed in more than two areas the driver may follow any portion that seniority permits.

My agent says a case was just heard at the national and it defines part of this argument. It is the number of stops and not the area that defines your ability to bump according to him.

Dr.Brownz

I have a bid route. A driver with more seniorty wants to bump me off my route when his bid route is not In. Typically only mondays. Can he do this? Our route territories touch and get intermingled based on volume. When his route is in I lose my pickups to him. When his route is in I get cuts off of his route. Basically my territory grew by stops and volume so they added his bid route.

If there are less senior drivers than you working then this is BS. He should be replacing the lowest seniority driver

Musiko360

I have a bid route. A driver with more seniorty wants to bump me off my route when his bid route is not In. Typically only mondays. Can he do this? Our route territories touch and get intermingled based on volume. When his route is in I lose my pickups to him. When his route is in I get cuts off of his route. Basically my territory grew by stops and volume so they added his bid route.
You can not get bumped! If you do .. talk to your steward and file file file!