Seniority lists

What about a 20 year part timer or a 19 year full timer who would have seniority in feeders under the changes your suggesting?

Lots of talk about that. It's up in the air. People are saying all credit, half or not at all. It really all depends on if the part timers that are in part time now come forward. If not it would look like a poison pill to get it to go through.

By The Book

Lots of talk about that. It's up in the air. People are saying all credit, half or not at all. It really all depends on if the part timers that are in part time now come forward. If not it would look like a poison pill to get it to go through.
Is this something that some of the members in your local are trying to get changed in their supplement?

rama'nfeeders

Here is the problem people don't understand who want a seniority classification to change in Local 177 is that the guys like Terry K. and Mike J. want it to change to better themselves be a use they both waited to long to come to Feeders. At the same time they are misleading the members especially the members who have 8, 10, even 15 years that they will automatically jump in font of the off the street drivers. What theses members don't understand is that for every person they think they will jump they are forgetting the other senior drivers from package, mechanics, porters, and clerks can come into feeders And bump them down until every senior member ahead of them will continue to knock them down until they retire. The system that's in place never knocks you backwards it allows you to climb upwards. The people like Paul B. that still continues to solicit $$ from people which is a fireable offense is only out for himself because he wanted to be a top notch hockey referee and he turned down his transfer to feeders several times. Someone should report him to HR and they should contact the authorities to discipline him appropriately. Guys this only to help late comers to feeders, but unfortunately at best they would have to Red Circle and maybe the new list will go into affect in about a quarter century! Did anyone ever find out why we went to 3 lists in feeders.....UPS changed to 3 districts? Investigate before you follow people who have no clue except to mislead there own for selfish reasons!

ikoi62

Things are getting heated in 177. Alot of members want to be able to carry over their seniority when they move around within the local but can't.
you and a very few are heated up...from the last union meeting you should have realized that when the only ones who weren't booing you were the very few that support you. :cool:

quamba 638

Red Circle applies to hourlies in wage progression. You keep your current wage until progression catches up to you.
Really? Is that the same as a red circle job? I've always been told it was for FT employees that work inside and don't lose the $5 like a combo would. We have about 15 in our building, most are 60 years old plus.

quamba 638

On our ft list they have seniority number first, then hire date. I see guys in there that have a 10+ year spread between hire and seniority date. What's the relevance of the hire date?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Do you guys really think that all of these old timers would jump into feeders... Many aren't going to want to work nights and or deal with the larger equipment... If most of these guys wanted to go in they would have already done it... Tell me one reason a 2 year driver goes into feeder and 6 months laters 25 year employee comes in and the 2 year driver has better vacation... That is bs guys no matter how you look at it. Under no circumstance should this EVER happen ...

MAKAVELI

Do you guys really think that all of these old timers would jump into feeders... Many aren't going to want to work nights and or deal with the larger equipment... If most of these guys wanted to go in they would have already done it... Tell me one reason a 2 year driver goes into feeder and 6 months laters 25 year employee comes in and the 2 year driver has better vacation... That is bs guys no matter how you look at it. Under no circumstance should this EVER happen ...
No

rama'nfeeders

Even when you transfer you keep your company seniority for layoffs and vacation picks. The guy with 2 years doesn't have choice of vacation over the 25 year guy.

brett636

This is exactly how it works in my building, and I argue that it should. I went into feeders early in my career so I could move up that seniority list. Working nights is no joke and I have, and continue, to do that until my seniority gets me a job that works day hours. Why should a package car driver who has made the choice to work in package most of their career get to bump me down from my spot in feeders just because they feel its their "time" to go. If they wanted the better day hours they should have come in sooner. I have former package drivers who have way more company time than me beneath me on the seniority list, and at the same time I have off the street hires who have less company time than me above me because I didn't go into feeders early enough. The jobs are different, the challenges are different, and therefore the seniority should be different.

Now with that being said my answer to the OP is this. The only fair way to transition from one senioirity system to another is to have two lists. The first list would be the current drivers in that department who would get to continue to use their seniority as they always have. The 2nd would be the new incoming drivers who would work under the new seniority rules. As the guys from the first list retire and new drivers start to fill up the 2nd then the transition to the different seniority rules would be complete once all the drivers from the first list are gone. To shuffle around the entire seniority list just to benefit a few drivers who didn't go into feeders soon enough or came in late and are at the bottom is just plain wrong.