Seniority Order

BigBrown1234

At my shop we do everything based on seniority. Every day Every positions is distributed by allowing each employee to pick what they want to do Daily.

PT (I hold the only PT position that is bid)

Loaders- by seniority

Unloaders- by seniority

ODC and so on

Every position is picked everyday by seniority

FT

All positions are filled by Bid/Temp Bid or qualification (area knowledge does not meet the requirements as a qualification)

All loose routs are taken in seniority order EVERYDAY!

IF management is over on staffing weather on a PT or FT shift “IT IS OUR PRACTICE”(at my location) to ask people to go home on a code 5 or paid lay off 32 in SENIORITY ORDER EVERYDAY!

BigBrown1234

The CONTRACT is a mere guide.

All contractual agreements are subject to INTERPRETATION as long as the Company and Union agree. (and they don’t violate Federal and State LAW)

ITERPRETATION can be used differently and changed daily at all work locations.

Company + Union Rep(BA) = agreement (example: how application of seniority is defined)

Company and Union disagree = arbitration

Company or Union disagree with arbitration = NLRB interpretation

So my point is. If you have a substandard interpretation of contractual language (at your shop) then you need to continually fight and chip away until you get what you desire.

BigBrown1234

My rule that I follow is. If I grieve a management practice. I argue 3 things 1. What is being done in specific 2. How it affects working conditions negatively 3. Suggestions on how to fix it

You will probably win every grievance either flat out or a step closer in the right direction if you can show it will not cause a dew hard ship on management. For example: Allowing PT to pick jobs in seniority order EVERYDAY allows for a more flexible shift and everyone will have knowledge of overall jobs. (you can only learn a route/position through experience) unless it requires some qualification like class A for feeder)

When I grieve a seniority violation for Job preference I like to ask management “Why they chose” for example Billy over Jessica to do a specific Job/Route. Trust me when I say there is no good answer. (we have already established AREA knowledge is not a reason) I will explain to management that if there is no special qualifications for a position then I corner them in and say is it because she is a woman or older because the contract backs that age will be accommodated. We are all qualified drivers/loader/unloaders etcetera so the only thing that separates us is our SENIORITY