Seniority Violation-Progression date

Travis93

When I got called in seniority order to go to the drivers class to go full time driving I was 2 months from 21 and was told I had to wait until I was 21 and they would let me know if they ran another "class" after my birthday. Come to find out 2 years later they did run another class, a month after I turned 21, which I was never told about. Lower seniority part timers attended the class and therefore were able to go utility driving for peak season and start their progression. Fast forward a year and I was able to take the class and currently have full time seniority over all the people who took the class after I turned 21 since they were only hired on as utility drivers not full time. I was just curious since they skipped me in seniority for the class to go utility driving and therefore I wasnt able to start my progression until 9 months later if I have any ground to fight it and possibly have my progression backdated to match theirs via the seniority violation. Any help or thoughts appreciated.

3889145.gif

CoolStoryBro

Perhaps, you can argue that your pay should be red circled at utility pay?

Part time utility drivers here stay at utility wage instead of new driver wage when they go full time. (28 ish instead of 18) different contracts for different folks. who knows.

Box Ox

I was just curious since they skipped me in seniority for the class to go utility driving and therefore I wasnt able to start my progression until 9 months later

Did you ever sign a bid sheet to become a utility or seasonal driver as a part timer?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When I got called in seniority order to go to the drivers class to go full time driving I was 2 months from 21 and was told I had to wait until I was 21 and they would let me know if they ran another "class" after my birthday. Come to find out 2 years later they did run another class, a month after I turned 21, which I was never told about. Lower seniority part timers attended the class and therefore were able to go utility driving for peak season and start their progression. Fast forward a year and I was able to take the class and currently have full time seniority over all the people who took the class after I turned 21 since they were only hired on as utility drivers not full time. I was just curious since they skipped me in seniority for the class to go utility driving and therefore I wasnt able to start my progression until 9 months later if I have any ground to fight it and possibly have my progression backdated to match theirs via the seniority violation. Any help or thoughts appreciated.

File a grievance.

Usually, under "maintenance of standards" either party can go back 90 days

to correct bonafide errors (from date of knowledge) That's the only angle to pursue.

-Bug-

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Typically you sign a sheet every time they do the driving classes they put up a sign up sheet so part timers can sign. If you are top seniority you will be first to go, it sounds like you missed the sheet when you where eligible to go to class to be a driver. I personally wouldn’t make a stink about it especially if you are ahead in seniority then the drivers that went before you. But, if you want to grievance it you will need to talk to a BA or shop steward about the issue and see what they say should be the next step is.