Sense of Entitlement

Goldilocks

Do any of you have new employees at your station (5 years or less) with a sense of entitlement? I am sick of new people coming in and thinking everything is owed to them. They wreck trucks and dont report it, they call in all the time, and they think they should be monday-friday. I dont get this generation. I will squash them like an ant with my seniority. Sick and tired of it....Managers seem to please them because they dont want to lose another body, but yet abuse the ones who are loyal and have been there a long time.

I always like the "They should retire so we can have the cake". Bite me. I was low seniority once and put my time in climbing the ladder. Line begins to the left.

hypo hanna

Management likes them because they are,
(A), cheap to own with pay and benefits.
(B), dont yet know how to fight back against mgmt abuse.

They feel entitled because that's the way much, (certainly not all), of this generation has been raised to think. You see it every day. Little Johnny gets last place in little league and there is a trophy for that. Little Suzy wants an IPhone and has done nothing to earn it. All of her friends have one so mommy gives it to her anyway. Kid doesn't do any school work all semester and most certainly flunk so the math teacher is told to come in early and tutor the student then give them extra credit work so they can be passed to the next grade or almost as important, not get kicked off the football team.

vantexan

Do any of you have new employees at your station (5 years or less) with a sense of entitlement? I am sick of new people coming in and thinking everything is owed to them. They wreck trucks and dont report it, they call in all the time, and they think they should be monday-friday. I dont get this generation. I will squash them like an ant with my seniority. Sick and tired of it....Managers seem to please them because they dont want to lose another body, but yet abuse the ones who are loyal and have been there a long time.

2 stations ago we had so much part-time turnover that mgmt started coddling them. I'd be coming into town after working a 4X10 and dispatch would ask me to run downtown to grab a couple of easy pups. As I was passing the station I'd see several PTers heading in. When I finished the pups I would send a clear request and, wham!, sent the Kinko's pickup all the way across town. This happened several times to me on a Friday and come to find out PTers who worked Tues-Sat were complaining they had to work too late on Friday, then having to work Saturday morning. Solution? Dump on old lifers with no life! I brought it up in a meeting and that got stopped by senior mgr who cared more that he was paying me OT than about a part-timer's feelings.

TUT

I think they should, because the man isn't paying our kids, so you get the :censored2: attitude, your lucky I'm here. It all balances out, you take too much, you get one reaction. You give too much, you get another. What I see is kids feeling underpaid and dead-ended from the start, what is to be all excited and good soldier about? We still lip-service... A better tomorrow. Well that isn't lining up with reality now is it? Hence you get a careless attitude. We are failing our children something miserable. I refuse to put blame on them as a whole, now individually... I could.

vantexan

Eventually the Baby Boom generation will clear out and there should be very good opportunities for young adults. Unfortunately many won't be able to take advantage of them because they're caught up in the attitude the whole world is rigged so what's the use? Get high and tune out. I was born in '62 near the end of the huge Baby Boomer generation. Another 10 years and companies are going to be desperate for workers and paying accordingly. Might even be a reason behind shifting to a much cheaper Ground model because FedEx knows their employee costs are going to rise. Sucks during the transition period though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Goldi, you should actually welcome this, because this is Fred's new generation of employees. You know, the ones he is going to replace you with? With DRA and the "genius" of FedEx management, they will be far more efficient and effective than you ever were. At least that's what the spreadsheet says.

These people are not going to deliver The Purple Promise, be dedicated, loyal, or even care much at all. They can easily just walk out the door and do something else...and they will. The FedEx Express business model only works if workers are productive, and if it takes 2 of them to do what you used to do, their plan will fail.

They have succeeded so far in the sense that they've pumped-up the value of the stock. That's short-term. Long-term, FedEx is not going to be able to sustain it because they will have a constantly revolving door of employees that will drain them dry.

It will be fun to watch it unfold.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'll laughing my ass off too when it happens.

It's gonna cost FedEx plenty to keep hiring new people all the time. That don't come cheap either.

Stockholders beware.

bbsam

Staff member
Do you think it's that easy? Not like Fred and company can't change policy midstream to placate drivers if turnover becomes an issue. Just like he's spent the last decade taking away, that can slowly (or quickly) reverse trends. Fred isn't locked into failing, but many of you may be long gone before he decides to do differently.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Do you think it's that easy? Not like Fred and company can't change policy midstream to placate drivers if turnover becomes an issue. Just like he's spent the last decade taking away, that can slowly (or quickly) reverse trends. Fred isn't locked into failing, but many of you may be long gone before he decides to do differently.

Fred placate drivers? Now you're making me laugh.

His idea of that is more atta boys, paper BZ's or moving the carrot a quarter of an inch closer. C'mon, the only way drivers are ever gonna see him change his ways is if he gets senile, otherwise do you think his drivers are gonna wait that long?

I don't think so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Here's where lack of experience actually working at Express exposes you. These people (FedEx upper management) think they have "The Plan", and because they are so effing smart, it's infallible. The stock is rising...that's all that matters. They have had "The Plan" brewing for years, and now they are implementing it. So far, so good, because the stockholders are happy and top execs have just seen ther portfolio rise 40% in value over a few months.

It's taken them years to think it up, and it will take them years to figure it out that they have effed-up. Instead of trying to reverse turnover by improving conditions and pay, they'll just keep hiring new employees, train them, and have them walk out the door 3-4 months later. Upper management only sees room for extracting more productivity out of the workers, so they will push harder and force even more out the door.

Once the higher-productivity couriers are all gone, they'll be left with what they were willing to pay for...a disposable workforce that has zero loyalty, doesn't care about customer service, and is unwilling to do "grunt" work.

Fred is a dinosaur, and so is FedEx. They have no idea of how to deal with the new generation of workers and they're chasing away all of the lower level talent in management. Frontline management isn't the best and brightest...it's what they can get and/or marginal couriers looking for a way to get off the road.

Right now, it's "superstar" upper management jacking-up the stock prices with phony promises they won't be able to keep. Eventually, the stockholders and Wall St. will figure out they've been duped.

Fred is a Tea Partier. He hates "Big Government" and rails against regulation and "high" corporate tax rates, but uses government to his full advantage by owning politicians and then having them support legilsation that favors an anti-union, low wage Express, and a non-employee scams like Ground. Workers are like nuts and bolts in a machine to him, and we're easily replacable with cheap low-quality substitutes.

A "leader" that thinks in these terms will never recognize that his policies are a deterrent to attracting and retaining quality employees, both hourlies and lower management. He can keep the big boys up top and the pilots because they get top compensation. Everyone else is disposable. We are labor...nothing else.

Last edited:

Goldilocks

Management likes them because they are,
(A), cheap to own with pay and benefits.
(B), dont yet know how to fight back against mgmt abuse.

They feel entitled because that's the way much, (certainly not all), of this generation has been raised to think. You see it every day. Little Johnny gets last place in little league and there is a trophy for that. Little Suzy wants an IPhone and has done nothing to earn it. All of her friends have one so mommy gives it to her anyway. Kid doesn't do any school work all semester and most certainly flunk so the math teacher is told to come in early and tutor the student then give them extra credit work so they can be passed to the next grade or almost as important, not get kicked off the football team.

Right, as a baby boomer generation we rebeled against our parents and society, so we decided to raise this new generation of brats.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Right, as a baby boomer generation we rebeled against our parents and society, so we decided to raise this new generation of brats.

Man, do I know about this one. With an 11 yr old daughter and a 20 yr old son, I see this all the time. All of my daughter's friends have smart phones but she isn't getting one until she is older or can pay for it. Did the same thing with my son, you don't earn it, you don't get it. They also have a work ethic, we don't quit because we don't like our job, we see it through until the end. I wasn't handed everything I wanted and neither were my kids.

Goldilocks

Here's where lack of experience actually working at Express exposes you. These people (FedEx upper management) think they have "The Plan", and because they are so effing smart, it's infallible. The stock is rising...that's all that matters. They have had "The Plan" brewing for years, and now they are implementing it. So far, so good, because the stockholders are happy and top execs have just seen ther portfolio rise 40% in value over a few months.

It's taken them years to think it up, and it will take them years to figure it out that they have effed-up. Instead of trying to reverse turnover by improving conditions and pay, they'll just keep hiring new employees, train them, and have them walk out the door 3-4 months later. Upper management only sees room for extracting more productivity out of the workers, so they will push harder and force even more out the door.

Once the higher-productivity couriers are all gone, they'll be left with what they were willing to pay for...a disposable workforce that has zero loyalty, doesn't care about customer service, and is unwilling to do "grunt" work.

Fred is a dinosaur, and so is FedEx. They have no idea of how to deal with the new generation of workers and they're chasing away all of the lower level talent in management. Frontline management isn't the best and brightest...it's what they can get and/or marginal couriers looking for a way to get off the road.

Right now, it's "superstar" upper management jacking-up the stock prices with phony promises they won't be able to keep. Eventually, the stockholders and Wall St. will figure out they've been duped.

Fred is a Tea Partier. He hates "Big Government" and rails against regulation and "high" corporate tax rates, but uses government to his full advantage by owning politicians and then having them support legilsation that favors an anti-union, low wage Express, and a non-employee scams like Ground. Workers are like nuts and bolts in a machine to him, and we're easily replacable with cheap low-quality substitutes.

A "leader" that thinks in these terms will never recognize that his policies are a deterrent to attracting and retaining quality employees, both hourlies and lower management. He can keep the big boys up top and the pilots because they get top compensation. Everyone else is disposable. We are labor...nothing else.

Bingo! "disposable workforce"

bbsam

Staff member
Fred will do whatever he has to to keep stockholders happy. If the frontline workforce has to be prodded, that's what he'll do. If they need to be rewarded monetarily, that's what he'll do.
Fred placate drivers? Now you're making me laugh.

His idea of that is more atta boys, paper BZ's or moving the carrot a quarter of an inch closer. C'mon, the only way drivers are ever gonna see him change his ways is if he gets senile, otherwise do you think his drivers are gonna wait that long?

I don't think so.

Goldilocks

2 stations ago we had so much part-time turnover that mgmt started coddling them. I'd be coming into town after working a 4X10 and dispatch would ask me to run downtown to grab a couple of easy pups. As I was passing the station I'd see several PTers heading in. When I finished the pups I would send a clear request and, wham!, sent the Kinko's pickup all the way across town. This happened several times to me on a Friday and come to find out PTers who worked Tues-Sat were complaining they had to work too late on Friday, then having to work Saturday morning. Solution? Dump on old lifers with no life! I brought it up in a meeting and that got stopped by senior mgr who cared more that he was paying me OT than about a part-timer's feelings.

Yes its been like that for quite some time now. They coddle these new people. What the heck is it going to be like in 5 years when the old timers are retired? Guess the old saying " You get what you pay for" will be Fedex Express new theme! "Get it twice a day" when sos came out, "Why fool around with anyone else" This company will hit rock bottom when all of us leave.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes its been like that for quite some time now. They coddle these new people. What the heck is it going to be like in 5 years when the old timers are retired? Guess the old saying " You get what you pay for" will be Fedex Express new theme! "Get it twice a day" when sos came out, "Why fool around with anyone else" This company will hit rock bottom when all of us leave.....

With all due respect, with the implementation of ROADS and DRA, you may be overstating your importance to the company. We have PAS/EDD ad will be getting ORION. We are all replaceable.

This past Peak I had a young kid (22) for a helper. I knew that he wanted to be more than a go-fer so I trained him on the DIAD and in proper delivery methods. By the end of the first week this kid was to the point where he could have pulled a delivery route all on his own. Yes, the numbers would not have been there, but the packages would have been delivered and service would have been made.