Sent home....

I went to work this morning at 4am only to be sent home at 430am.. the supervisor was saying that today was a hectic day and the guy im working with at preload is a veteran so the sup told me to get a day off... Since im a newbie, is it okay to ask him to put me in a different role like help in unloading? cause technically i didnt get paid today and i just realized it...

CAFAL

How new are you? I take it you haven't gotten any seniority yet. You could ask the sup but they can also lay you off if you're low man

UPSGUY72

I went to work this morning at 4am only to be sent home at 430am.. the supervisor was saying that today was a hectic day and the guy im working with at preload is a veteran so the sup told me to get a day off... Since im a newbie, is it okay to ask him to put me in a different role like help in unloading? cause technically i didnt get paid today and i just realized it...

How new are u ? Are you seasonal or permanent ? Did they ask you if you wanted to go home or did they tell you to go home ? If your a permanent employee and have made your 30 days the next time they tell you your not need tell them your want your guaranteed hours. If they send you home after you tell them that file a grievance before you leave the building that day for your guaranteed hours.

If you haven't made your 30 days or are a Temp hire don't rock the boat....

I am new, its my 2nd week. but i am hired permanent part time preloader. he told me to take a day off. those are his words.. im just wondering.. and i will check on that grievance report thing.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You clock in and are told you aren't needed, ask for a broom. Something. Earn your keep. You are guaranteed 3.5/pt and 8/ft.

UPSGUY72

I am new, its my 2nd week. but i am hired permanent part time preloader. he told me to take a day off. those are his words.. im just wondering.. and i will check on that grievance report thing.

You haven't made your 30 days and won't until After Jan 1 the union isn't going to help you. If you try to file a grievance they are going fire you before you make you 30 days. Don't rock the boat before your 30 days or your going find yourself in the water without a life vest to save you.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Are you sure? I don't know where the OP works but here we have shifts at the DFW Airport that do not hve a 3.5hr guarantee.
Airport people here have a different guarantee of 3 hours/pt.

The day you are hired, the union is obligated to represent you. If they aren't, they are doing a disservice to the membership. If they pick and choose when they are going to do their job, maybe they won't do it when you need them.

As for rocking the boat, they are probably right. Sadly. I'd still ask for a broom.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You can't ask for a broom. It's in the contract that we can't do janitorial work. Seniority rules, for the best or worst. Definitely don't rock the boat. Start calling in the morning at 3 or 3:30 to see if they need you. I'd rather call and go back to bed than drive there for only half an hour.
Hub is guaranteed 3 1/2, Air is 3. It's kind of vague and sketchy as to how to get your guarantee. If there's work to be done anywhere in the building that's not janitorial (unless it's keeping your area clean and clear like smalls with all the labels n' stuff) they can force you to code 5 (hours worked) but if you stay till the end and other higher seniority people are doing the other work, then by all means you are guaranteed your 3 1/2. Just don't be jackass-ish about it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

My advice is to lay low and put up with this type of crap until you get seniority.
UPSGUY72 is a realistic union person and he is giving wise advise.
And anonymous is correct ... your sup is an inconsiderate jerk.
Keep that in mind as he will fire you if you buck him with grievance talk.
There is nothing wrong with pointing out you got up in the middle of the night and drove to work and is there anyway he can get you some hours.