Service Disruptions...

MAKAVELI

You know what's better? Some brown noser who defends management so hard that their face is stuck up their ass permanently.

Engineers aren't management, and I wasn't defending either. I *was* making fun of certain lazy, stupid couriers because they like to complain a lot.

And, from the looks of things, their reading comprehension could use some work, too.

Being such an intelligent person as yourself, I would think you would know the engineers answer to management. Management makes the final decisions. But maybe you aren't that smart.

overflowed

"straight lining" is the term you use for this?
Ya, what you do everyday is what we consider a treat. no doubling back for different service. Only happens during peak, late freight, or some other abomination. Also, to answer the other Expresser's I have not heard of this extended P1 cycle foolishness. Weird.

MAKAVELI

Ya, what you do everyday is what we consider a treat. no doubling back for different service. Only happens during peak, late freight, or some other abomination. Also, to answer the other Expresser's I have not heard of this extended P1 cycle foolishness. Weird.

I remember some years back we used to get weather delays all the time and then it just stoped. Interesting that this is coming back.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Being such an intelligent person as yourself, I would think you would know the engineers answer to management. Management makes the final decisions. But maybe you aren't that smart.

But I was talking about couriers. Are you sure you read the post??!!?!?

MAKAVELI

You want to blame couriers for routes that are obviously unmanageable which management and the engineers together set. We are merely puppets and they are pulling the strings. **** rolls down hill buddy.

Goldilocks

Dano, I hear the complaints everyday. We understand that its great to give the engineers and oss input about the routes but on the other hand, thats their job to get it right. Couriers are paid to Deliver the packages. Their jobs "OSS and Engineers" need to figure this out. They get paid lots more than a courier. Why should the courier help when OSS, Engineers and Manangement get paid bonuses off the couriers hard work? It's a double standard. Its not right. I heard a manager ask a courier to help figure out how to get his route correct, the couriers only answer was " I'm paid to deliver the packages, thats why you get paid the Big Bucks". This is what has happened when Fedex took all input away from the couriers and started handing out Bonuses to Management and above and hiring engineers and oss jobs to do what we use to do. They need to get rid of these positions and give it back to the courier. We know our jobs better than anyone. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean its correct. These guys are going out trying to do a good job and make service on all commit times but are set up for failure everyday. And the pickups added, dont let me get started, its a mess.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When the PAS/EDD team came to our center we were given a printout of our current DOL (Delivery Order Listing) and asked to make any necessary changes as the team would use the DOL as the basis for their work on our routes. We were also invited to sit down with the team and work together to ensure we had the best trace in place for our route. I chose to do this and as a result my DOL is 95%+ in trace. Others chose not to and their DOL's are all screwed up. Yes, the time I put in was unpaid, but I considered it time well spent.

LTFedExer

I would think you would know the engineers answer to management. Management makes the final decisions.
Guess who's held accountable when the OSS person doesn't change the boundaries, correct addresses, etc? Nobody. Hand in the same address correction time after time after time.....no change, finally gave up. All this will/should come to light when DRA is fully turned on at the end of January.
We know our jobs better than anyone.
No we don't...call Memphis and ask them

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Dano, I hear the complaints everyday. We understand that its great to give the engineers and oss input about the routes but on the other hand, thats their job to get it right. Couriers are paid to Deliver the packages. Their jobs "OSS and Engineers" need to figure this out. They get paid lots more than a courier. Why should the courier help when OSS, Engineers and Manangement get paid bonuses off the couriers hard work? It's a double standard. Its not right. I heard a manager ask a courier to help figure out how to get his route correct, the couriers only answer was " I'm paid to deliver the packages, thats why you get paid the Big Bucks". This is what has happened when Fedex took all input away from the couriers and started handing out Bonuses to Management and above and hiring engineers and oss jobs to do what we use to do. They need to get rid of these positions and give it back to the courier. We know our jobs better than anyone. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean its correct. These guys are going out trying to do a good job and make service on all commit times but are set up for failure everyday. And the pickups added, dont let me get started, its a mess.

I've seen OSS come into the station and re-sector routes many times, and ther only mission is to increase "efficiency". The only problem with that is that they don't really understand the job. To them, you just drive around dropping boxes all day.

Here's an example. One courier I know has been on the same route for 10 years. He smoked it every day, because he knows exactly who signs quickly, the shortcuts if traffic is bad, and how to manage his deliveries. OSS comes in, and adds a residential area to his route that adds about 30 resis per day onto his route. They removed one minor street from his existing route. Simply put, he cannot do it, and management is all over him because "OSS said it could be done".

As Goldilocks said, the couriers know the job best, yet they've taken all input away from us and put complete faith in the engineers and management. Remember, these are the same folks who have been working on ROADS for years and still don't have it right.

Rhoderunner

Ya know what's better? When couriers are invited to work with engineers to help determine route boundaries but won't participate (and then complain about route boundaries being decided by an engineer who sits behind a desk). Even better? When they DO participate and help set boundaries and then complain about them.
Have to agree with most of the others on this one. While this 'gem' was promised many times not once have we couriers sat down with ANYONE to give input into route structure. The other empty promise has been check rides. Suppose to get them to set goals and determine if a route is structured correct. Nope, always just handed a new map with 'Here's your new area, study up we start Monday' !!

whenIgetthere

Been doing the extended P1 for at least two years here. Doesn't help my 1030 P1 commits as much as it helps me with my 1200 P1 commits. It never adds up, though. Last time it happened, the last truck from the ramp arrived 45 minutes late (and out LBT was 40 to 45 minutes late) and we got an additional 20 minutes for P1. Most everyone still had lates.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Corrections work wonders when done properly. An address that's not assigned to a route ("0") can easily be assigned to the proper route. Some addresses are not included in the ROADS database but they can be assigned to the proper route using the relocation feature in the address correction software. Some addresses that usually show up on the proper route will sometimes come out "0" if the formatting of the address is wrong. Those suck because the correction only works on that particular formatting error, while there are an infinite number of ways for a customer to screw up the formatting.

On this I will agree with you, but only if you have an engineer that actually gives a flying flamingo. Ours is about as useful as teats on a crowbar.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Have to agree with most of the others on this one. While this 'gem' was promised many times not once have we couriers sat down with ANYONE to give input into route structure. The other empty promise has been check rides. Suppose to get them to set goals and determine if a route is structured correct. Nope, always just handed a new map with 'Here's your new area, study up we start Monday' !!

The manager can't checkride you anyway because he/she is now a defacto courier thanks to the brainiacs in Memphis. Our engineers don't understand what we do, and frankly...few care. As long as they can sell their defective "logic" and ideas to morons who will listen (there are plenty), their jobs are safe. Just look at ROADS.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
^^^ yep,
Every time we see our "engineer" at our sta. we all joke that he is just here to keep his position.
COMPLETELY USELESS POSITION.

59 Dano

You want to blame couriers for routes that are obviously unmanageable which management and the engineers together set. We are merely puppets and they are pulling the strings. **** rolls down hill buddy.

I'll type this slowly so that you can comprehend it. I was making fun of couriers who are allowed to help structure their very own routes and then blame engineers about the structure of their routes. I was also making fun of couriers who turn down that opportunity and then complain about how engineers structured their routes.

If it bewilders you as to why that's humorous, well, I don't guess I'm that surprised at this point.

59 Dano

Dano, I hear the complaints everyday. We understand that its great to give the engineers and oss input about the routes but on the other hand, thats their job to get it right. Couriers are paid to Deliver the packages. Their jobs "OSS and Engineers" need to figure this out. They get paid lots more than a courier. Why should the courier help when OSS, Engineers and Manangement get paid bonuses off the couriers hard work? It's a double standard. Its not right.

Then the courier needs to ask himself which is more important, helping to structure the route better or leaving it to up to someone who, in the courier's opinion, can't do it.

I heard a manager ask a courier to help figure out how to get his route correct, the couriers only answer was " I'm paid to deliver the packages, thats why you get paid the Big Bucks". This is what has happened when Fedex took all input away from the couriers and started handing out Bonuses to Management and above and hiring engineers and oss jobs to do what we use to do. They need to get rid of these positions and give it back to the courier. We know our jobs better than anyone. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean its correct.

That's absolutely right. And by the same token, just because a courier says "This is the best way to do it" doesn't mean that it is. Our engineers and OSS guys are just like our couriers, they range from outstanding to useless.

For every courier like you, who would try to get things structured properly, there's a courier (or couriers) who would try to get things structured so that he would be able to have it a little easier. Hence, we have engineers who don't have a dog in the fight.

59 Dano

On this I will agree with you, but only if you have an engineer that actually gives a flying flamingo. Ours is about as useful as teats on a crowbar.

The engineer doesn't have to be involved in those ROADS address corrections (the "0" packages). A swing driver should be taking care of that.

MAKAVELI

I'll type this slowly so that you can comprehend it. I was making fun of couriers who are allowed to help structure their very own routes and then blame engineers about the structure of their routes. I was also making fun of couriers who turn down that opportunity and then complain about how engineers structured their routes.

If it bewilders you as to why that's humorous, well, I don't guess I'm that surprised at this point.

You can type as slowly as you need to comprehend your own bullsheet dude. The scenario you describe rarely happen if at all. But at this point I'm not surprised that someone as yourself who has their nose up management's asss would think this way.