Setting someone up to fail

km3

So my question is: do they set up people to fail? My first thought was "they really don't have an easier job for this guy to do?" why would they throw a 60 year old guy on a pick when there is 100 other jobs he can be doing? Has anyone ever seen something like this? It really rubbed me the wrong way

They send new people to where the need is. The contract does say that the company must take age and physical condition into consideration, but for someone who isn't even in the union yet, that doesn't apply.

I've seen supervisors pull strings to get people moved to easier assignments in the past, only for them to quit anyway. One example is a girl who couldn't have been more than 4 ft. tall. She never had a physical job in her life, and UPS was a shock to her system. Even with a load stand, she wouldn't have even come within a foot of loading all the way to the roof of the trailers. Over the course of her 3 weeks with the company, she always complained that they sent her home early every day when I warned her that they always try to find the people willing to leave as soon as possible, so they can keep asking them. Management got everything setup so that she could go to the air dock. By that point, she stopped coming in altogether, partly because the job was "too hard," and partly because they kept sending her home within an hour of coming in anyway.

UPS isn't for everyone. It's a really hard job compared to a lot of other entry-level positions elsewhere, it pays less, and management treats you like crap. This week in particular the recurring thought that runs through my mind every day is, "no wonder nobody wants to stay."

And yes, I realize UPS is cake compared to what you usually do. But it's harder than what most new hires are accustomed to. Case and point, that old guy in your center.

Dr.Brownz

I sincerely hope that old man passes his 30 days and then proceeds to become the slowest worker on earth. I hope he :censored2:s UPS over....BIG TIME!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This is a litigious society and everyone wants a piece of the pie. Yes there are easier jobs but show some favoritism and there will be lawsuits. Set the guy up to fail and this happens:
  • he quits
  • he performs better
  • he fails and is terminated
It's a win / win for the company even though it is still a form of bullying in the workplace that is harder to prove.
Another option is age discrimination suit.

over9five

Staff member
It's all a total waste anyway.

Dig (a) hole and dump. Spend as little as possible.
I think it is INSANE to buy a plot, buy a huge concrete box, buy a very expensive wooden box (with pillows and wholly lined), plug all the orifices, and put in the ground for eternity...
What a waste, only makes funeral parlor owners rich.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think it is INSANE to buy a plot, buy a huge concrete box, buy a very expensive wooden box (with pillows and wholly lined), plug all the orifices, and put in the ground for eternity...
If you'll settle for "wooly" lining, I know where you can get some fine sheep wool!!

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

So..... 600 horsepower limb chipper, then out to the landfill?