SFA next week

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would Express pay you to work and also pay you to stay home?

If it came down to a casual retiree or a casual courier working, who would work and who would have the day off?

Oldfart

If it came down to a casual retiree or a casual courier working, who would work and who would have the day off?
We don't have causal employees so that isn't as issue. The premise of the causal retiree is the employee makes some $ while the company benefits from having an experienced employee when they are shorthanded . The program has been around for years but we haven't had a large number of employees retire until the last few years so it hasn't been utilized at my station until maybe 2 years ago. Like I said, some work several days a month, some work several days every few months. It is up to the employee to tell management when they are available and up to the manager to put them to work. We had 2 work yesterday that told me they haven't work since Christmas peak and we have a couple that will work 1 or 2 days every few weeks.

It will be fine

Go study the RLA and get back with me when you find out about the casual retiree employees everyone said doesn't exist.
My employees aren't covered under the RLA. I run a trucking company not an airline. I've spent no time studying the RLA. I couldn't care less about you continuing to work in your retirement. I'm sure you're such a delight the senior will make an exception to keep you around even if the program doesn't exist anymore.

vantexan

Actually a FedEx retiree receiving a traditional pension can work up to 70 hrs a month. At 70 or more he loses his pension payment the next month. It was in my retirement paperwork and I discussed it with my mgr. I'm guessing FedEx is looking for extra help without having to hire off the street or give benefits. If I remember right your last mgr before retiring has to approve you for rehire in order to do it.

vantexan

Living the good life and making my last wad of money. Unlike you, I enjoy my job. Unlike me, you hate everything. Making plenty of $, having close to 7 weeks off when I schedule just right. On my last 16 months then plan on being a casual employee if the mood hits me. I can only fish and travel so much. The casual plan is sweet because you can make some mad money and still draw your pension.
No, I don't hate everything. And after my first rehire was never given the chance to make the money you make. Nowhere close. Not hatred, just the truth. If I hadn't quit in 2013 I would've been an 18 yr employee with the new pay plan and still would probably be looking at another 4-5 yrs to reach what you take for granted. As is after 2.5 yrs after rehired in 2014 I was placed at starting pay with 9 yrs to go. Or I could take the pension. Obviously your situation would be the best to be in. But at my age I'd rather be free from all that than be looking at topping out at 64. The other night I woke up with my toes feeling like they were going to snap off. Diabetes. I've got chest pain. If I die before 60, if lucky I'll make it to 70, would rather face it on my own than dropping dead working for that company. You don't seem to get it but they took advantage of us for their benefit. Just glad I got enough to leave before they shut down that option for most employees. Good luck with your retirement, and you are smart to consider staying active for as long as you can. I can certainly understand your loyalty since it worked out well for you. But you are so wrong about my hating everything, and being miserable. I'm disappointed that a company that I used to believe strongly in cheated me and so many others to make some rich people richer. It makes everything they do to promote FedEx as a people company and a company that cares for various causes come across as self serving B.S.. But it's no longer my problem and with that I'm signing off. Gets old going round and round with people who hate. Good luck and God bless!

Oldfart

Actually a FedEx retiree receiving a traditional pension can work up to 70 hrs a month. At 70 or more he loses his pension payment the next month. It was in my retirement paperwork and I discussed it with my mgr. I'm guessing FedEx is looking for extra help without having to hire off the street or give benefits. If I remember right your last mgr before retiring has to approve you for rehire in order to do it.
Exactly as I said. I was told by more than 1 person I was making that up. I believe it was actually 60 hrs a few years ago and raised to 70. Either way it has been in place for many years but we have only seen it used at my station over the last couple of years.

Oldfart

No, I don't hate everything. And after my first rehire was never given the chance to make the money you make. Nowhere close. Not hatred, just the truth. If I hadn't quit in 2013 I would've been an 18 yr employee and still would probably be looking at another 4-5 yrs to reach what you take for granted. As is after 2.5 yrs after rehired in 2014 I was placed at starting pay with 9 yrs to go. Or I could take the pension. Obviously your situation would be the best to be in. But at my age I'd rather be free from all that than be looking at topping out at 64. The other night I woke up with my toes feeling like they were going to snap off. Diabetes. I've got chest pain. If I die before 60, if lucky I'll make it to 70, would rather face it on my own than dropping dead working for that company. You don't seem to get it but they took advantage of us for their benefit. Just glad I got enough to leave before they shut down that option for most employees. Good luck with your retirement, and you are smart to consider staying active for as long as you can. I can certainly understand your loyalty since it work out well for you. But you are so wrong about my hating everything, and being miserable. I'm disappointed that a company that I used to believe strongly in cheated me and so many others to make some rich people richer. It makes everything they do to promote FedEx as a people company and a company that cares for various causes come across as self serving B.S.. But ite no longer my problem and with that I'm signing off. Gets old going round and round with people who hate. Good luck and God bless!
Hate it for your health issues. I am lucky to be my age and do not take 1 dose of medicine a day. Just name 1 large corporation that doesn't use and abuse their employees for the good of the almighty $. There are no loyalties these days. Just ask the Sears employees who will most likely out of work in the next year or so. It sucks but that is business in 2017. That is why I don't get all wrapped up in the politics and behind the scenes with the job. I go to work, put in my 10 or 11 and come home. I don't know anything about the RLA, the various DLR or whatever its called that some stations use. We do our rts the old fashion way, street boundaries. Just trying to make as much money these last 16 months before I call it quits. I wish everyone was topped out and wish everyone had the quality managers we have. They aren't and they don't. You just have to make the best out of the situation or go find another job. Bitching and whining isn't go do any good.

BootsOnTarmac

Call it if you want. He went over every response with me. Treated me like a child. Acted like I didn't understand how to answer questions.

Time to call Memphis! If "he" pulled you aside and reviewed your current SFA with you, (SFA has not closed yet), you must report "him" on the Memphis hotline immediately.

The SFA survey results are supposed to be anonymous even if you checked the "use demographics box".

Let us know what eventually happens.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Hate it for your health issues. I am lucky to be my age and do not take 1 dose of medicine a day. Just name 1 large corporation that doesn't use and abuse their employees for the good of the almighty $. There are no loyalties these days. Just ask the Sears employees who will most likely out of work in the next year or so. It sucks but that is business in 2017. That is why I don't get all wrapped up in the politics and behind the scenes with the job. I go to work, put in my 10 or 11 and come home. I don't know anything about the RLA, the various DLR or whatever its called that some stations use. We do our rts the old fashion way, street boundaries. Just trying to make as much money these last 16 months before I call it quits. I wish everyone was topped out and wish everyone had the quality managers we have. They aren't and they don't. You just have to make the best out of the situation or go find another job. Bitching and whining isn't go do any good.
Actually, bitching and whining can be cathartic. It's the attitude of both the employee and the manager that determines whether doing so was beneficial. If management acknowledges a problem and works to resolve it, it actually improves morale. An employee who feels his/her voice is being heard will usually improve their attitude. A productive employee with a legitimate complaint who leaves the company because of an inept manager is a loss to the company. And some dinosaur singing"whistle while you work" adds nothing positive to the situation.

Oldfart

Actually, bitching and whining can be cathartic. It's the attitude of both the employee and the manager that determines whether doing so was beneficial. If management acknowledges a problem and works to resolve it, it actually improves morale. An employee who feels his/her voice is being heard will usually improve their attitude. A productive employee with a legitimate complaint who leaves the company because of an inept manager is a loss to the company. And some dinosaur singing"whistle while you work" adds nothing positive to the situation.
Have had PLENTY of crappy managers. Never crossed my mind to quit because of them. Things always have a way of working themselves out. They might last awhile but in the end, they most always get dealt with.

McFeely

Huge Member
I actually feel like I have one of the worst/shadiest managers in the history of the company...yet I do my job and do a damn fine job of it and that manager pretty much just leaves me alone. Doesn't mean this manager gets good SFA scores from me, though.

El Morado Diablo

Yup and this year you can just sit in front of the computer for 10 minutes and do nothing, since the managers cannot see who hasn't taken it this year.

That doesn't mean they won't try to figure out who has or hasn't taken it. My SM called me into the office last week to ask me why I hadn't taken the SFA. The managers knew how many people hadn't taken it and started trying to guess who those people were by eliminating people who were out with injuries and stuff first.

You know something is rotten when management goes to this much trouble to figure out who hasn't taken an anonymous survey that isn't mandatory.