Share price

i give up when ups buys a company stock goes down fedex buys something stock goes up. ups is one of only a few a+ plus companies and made almost as much profit as fedex in one quarter as fedex made all last year yet they are 27:00 a share higher than ups also ups worth 80 billion fedex 30 please explain

psstdrvr

if the company wants to really get rid of all the lame duck managers, all they have to do is put breakfast out as recognition for the overworked drivers; after the drivers leave, fire the weasels who come out of they're hiding places to feed off the remains!

tuknick

Here is an idea, how about one thread on the Brown Cafe stay away from bashing drivers or management? wouldn't it be nice to chat about share price in the share price thread???
If you feel the need to bash, join another thread or make a new one.
I don't / have never worked for UPS, but I am an investor and come here for some of my information. I don't need to listen to school yard bickering from either side.

Tyrone Slothrop

tuknick said:
Here is an idea, how about one thread on the Brown Cafe stay away from bashing drivers or management? wouldn't it be nice to chat about share price in the share price thread???
If you feel the need to bash, join another thread or make a new one.
I don't / have never worked for UPS, but I am an investor and come here for some of my information. I don't need to listen to school yard bickering from either side.
turnick,

You do realize that anyone who currently works for UPS cannot really comment on anything relevant to the stock price. No talking about volume or customers or successes & failures. All they are really allowed to do is b1tch about whomever they hold to blame, be it pilots, drivers, management or BOD members. Suffice it to say, no one is really pleased with a negative return on their investment over the past X years. At least there is the dividend, hopefully to be raised soon!

If you sold today and put the money into FDX or JNJ, how much do you suppose you would be out, figuring in taxes and all, say in a years time?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Feb. 7, 2006

A mere six U.S. companies now qualify for Standard & Poor's top credit rating of AAA. (In the early 1980s, there were 32.) Can you name the Solid Six? Here they are: Automatic Data Processing, ExxonMobil, General Electric, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer and United Parcel Service. :)

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
Tuknick, you need to read the newsthreads and the wallstreet journal, not the message board.
If you had/have ever worked there you would understand the constant fued and it's ability to eat away at your cerebrum. There isn't day that goes by @ my center where there isn't a management/union employee issue. It's totally frustrating and as much as we all want to leave work at the door, you can't help but b1tch.

ups_vette

There are 1.1 BILLION shares of UPS Stock availabel compared to 350 MILLION shares of FedEX.

UPS has 3 times as many shares as FedEx..

If both companies had the same number of shares (350 million), UPS would be at over $200 per share and Fed Ex at $100 per share, or if both had 1.1 billion, UPS valued at $74 and FedEx at $33 per share.

A

Anonymous Shareholder

ups79 said:
actually, my best comparison is that UPS pays out more in dividends per year than fdx makes.

Unfortunately, FDX went up more today ($2.36) than a years worth of dividends for UPS.

ups_vette

The difference between FedEx share price going up $2.36 and the UPS yearly dividend, is that you actually receive a check made out to you for the UPS dividend. In order to receive the $2.36 from FedEx you have to SELL the stock.

ups79

once those independent contractors are declared employees, nationwide, it will go down. if you own you had better sell.

Hate to be too argumentative but *some* of those ICs were ruled to be “employees” and others were NOT.

The specific ruling here was that those that owned/operated/whatever multiple areas were legitimate contractors and were not allowed to be a party to the lawsuit.

So what has FedEx been doing since mid 2004? They’ve been phasing out the single area routes for one thing.

I don’t know how they did it or what the terms were but three that were “owned” or “operated” or “serviced” or whatever by single area guys are now bundled up and being serviced by Somebody-or-other Trucking from the next town over.

Just like DHL – Trucks look just like every other DHL or FedEx Ground vehicle but have a small sign on the side that says “Operated by Whoever Trucking.”

Anyway, FedEx and their ICs aren’t going away and the courts have pretty much shown them how to solve their IC “problem.”

As for those that complain about rotten service from FedEx Ground or DHL, in my (limited) experience with them they are just fine. Only ordered a couple of things that ended up coming DHL (Campmor, I think) and cell phone batteries that came FedEX Ground. They did just great.

Someone also trained their drivers on the importance of turning off their vehicles and shutting the bulkhead door while they mill around delivering packages. Our regular UPS driver hasn’t quite figured that out yet despite personally calling it in several times.

trickpony1

Why could it possibly matter to you if the UPS driver closes his bulkhead door?

The more important question- Did it make you feel really big/good/powerful to call in on the driver for such a minscule infraction?

Got too much time on your hands?

Hangingon

I doubt they even did anything with your complaint. When they show it to the driver it has the persons name and address but he obviously hasn't changed his habits in your neighborhood. Hope you had fun wasting your time, maybe try complaining if his socks are white next time.