Shockingly Rates going….UP

MAKAVELI

If only there was a message board where you could read UPS employees complaining about how hard they are pushed and the unrealistic expectations they are expected to meet.
They have a much more efficient system than our broken one. All employees and one single system that handles both ground and air. Both companies push unrealistic expectations but one ( not FedEx ) actually gets productivity and efficiency out of its workforce.

Artee

Hint: labor doesn't become more productive because you pay it more.
You can't even discuss getting to the increasing the productivity of labor until you can even get some labor. FDX wants to hire 90K for peak. They cannot even get 5 employees hired at the ramp. All they do is bring in temps. The overnight ramp sort on Sunday night didn't even get completed. When drivers showed up at 4:30 am to pick up their trailers there were still 16 positions to sort. Temps started leaving by 5am. At 5:30 am they called the sort and sent the trucks out with still 6 positions untouched. How many trailers full of freight are sitting in Oxnard that have not even been touched for days?

yadig

I realize volumes are a bunch bigger now but late freight was common even before the pandemic.
Contract carriers are taking our freight straight to both hubs because of the shortage of handlers. Ground is getting several trailers a day and everything is late daily. I don’t see this getting any better before peak.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Big Reveal: You stepped up to the plate and accepted the 'big balls' award. You now own a substantial portion of the blame.

Man up and own it!
There's nothing to own, but I'll own it.

A guy who is doing all he can isn't going to do more because you pay him more, especially if he's actually doing all he possibly can.
The rest aren't going to do any more, either. A few might make some noise about being more productive if they're paid better but they won't. The truth is they'd simply say that the better pay brings them closer to what they're owed for what they're already doing.

We're already seeing it in the Nashville market with the $3 bump in pay. There was the initial sugar high of better morale and "Let's go team!" from knowing you were getting that extra money and it lasted about a week until people figured out they can work fewer hours taking out fewer stops without seeing a drop on the paycheck.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
There's nothing to own, but I'll own it.

A guy who is doing all he can isn't going to do more because you pay him more, especially if he's actually doing all he possibly can.
The rest aren't going to do any more, either. A few might make some noise about being more productive if they're paid better but they won't. The truth is they'd simply say that the better pay brings them closer to what they're owed for what they're already doing.

We're already seeing it in the Nashville market with the $3 bump in pay. There was the initial sugar high of better morale and "Let's go team!" from knowing you were getting that extra money and it lasted about a week until people figured out they can work fewer hours taking out fewer stops without seeing a drop on the paycheck.
Unsurprisingly, upper- and mid-management are sending their turds downstream, and blaming those who are forced to deal with it.
Evidence, your post.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
My excuse for that is you're delusional and don't know what you're talking about.
Oh I know exactly what i’m talking about. One doesn’t have to work in the pampered offices of Memphis to know what’s going on wiseass.

It got to a point around 2013-2014 that most weeks the only day the freight was on time was on Monday's, even then some Monday’s there were problems. The failure rate with getting the freight on time was at least 3 days out of 6, my how impressive. The managers had a boat load of excuses and very few of them were believable.

Your hero Fred’s been playing games longer than you’ll ever admit. Wake up.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Oh I know exactly what i’m talking about. One doesn’t have to work in the pampered offices of Memphis to know what’s going on wiseass.

It got to a point around 2013-2014 that most weeks the only day the freight was on time was on Monday's, even then some Monday’s there were problems. The failure rate with getting the freight on time was at least 3 days out of 6, my how impressive. The managers had a boat load of excuses and very few of them were believable.

Your hero Fred’s been playing games longer than you’ll ever admit. Wake up.
If you say so.