Should deaf people be allowed to drive package?

Should deaf people be allowed to drive package for UPS?

• Total voters

CJinx

Do you know hearing people get in more accidents than deaf people?
I'm willing to wager that this stat is true because there are likely a lot more non-impaired (hearing, at least) drivers on the road than not. Larger sample size will likely mean a higher number of accidents.

Personally; I feel that adequate hearing should be a requirement for operation of a commercial vehicle. If someone is found to be hearing impaired, but their handicap can be mitigated by an implant or hearing aid, then yes they can drive. However, if their handicap cannot be overcome; then they should not be operating heavy machinery in public. This isn't a matter of discrimination, it's a matter of safety for everyone involved.

UPSGUY72

The title says...."deaf people" not hearing impaired, not 80% deaf or other variations of deafness. To me, deaf people" means people that can't hear anything.

Just like blind people are people who can't see anything.....not the descriptive legally blind or 70% blind.

So, in answering the OP's question.........should "deaf people" drive for UPS ? I already answered no.

You don't have to be totally deaf to fail the DOT hearing requirements. Maybe the title should say "Should passing a hearing test be a requirement to drive a package car".

FilingBluesFL

The hearing loss had a minimal impact on him in school and he did get pretty good at reading lips----most of the time he was spot on but there were times when he wasn't even close and we would look at him and go "Huh?".

"Deaf", "blind" and "Republican" all have varying levels of inherent limitations.

I can only imagine that this occurred every time you tried to push your progressive democratic views on him and your BOG illusion of perfection lol

Packmule

As long as the term "perceive a forced whisper" means one only has to acknowledge hearing it, not being able to repeat the actual word spoken. Last I checked, traffic noises don't actually try to articulate words.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Why do they test to see if you are colorblind at every DOT physical? Either you are colorblind at birth or you are not. This is not something that can change over time.

Packmule

When was your last DOT physical? I think they may have stopped doing this test as I don't recall taking it last time.
Yes they are still doing it here. I don't know anything about color blindness, but hearing loss most certainly does change over time. Just never for the better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes they are still doing it here. I don't know anything about color blindness, but hearing loss most certainly does change over time. Just never for the better.

I spent the first few years of my military service on the flight line and was not always good about wearing my hearing protection.