Should deaf people be allowed to drive package?

Should deaf people be allowed to drive package for UPS?

• Total voters

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
More like an inarticulate rant.
More accurate than Upstate. To be fair, Deaf folks whose first language is American Sign Language are less fluent in English. English is primary learned by hearing spoken English - obviously the Deaf can't take advantage of this. Additionally, ASL is not simply "signed" English, it's an entirely different language with a different grammar/sentence structure (ASL uses "topic comment" rather than the verb/noun structure of English)

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Our center had a guy retire about 5 yrs ago. He was legally deaf. Could barely hear you thru his hearing aids. But, made his 30. I have no problem with it. His eyes made up for it.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I also cant hear a damn thing outside the truck when my doors are closed. Only during the nice weather can I hear above the heater fan and diesel engine running

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
In a historic victory for deaf and hard of hearing truckers, the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) announced today, after decades of prohibition, that deaf drivers can operate commercial motor vehicles such as large trucks. Today, the DOT granted 40 applications filed by the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) seeking exemption from the hearing standard that has barred deaf drivers from obtaining commercial drivers’ licenses (CDLs). In announcing this historic decision, the DOT cited research demonstrating that deaf drivers are as safe as hearing drivers. In addition to granting the 40 exemptions, the DOT recognized that the NAD has filed a petition to remove the hearing standard in its entirety from the regulation. That petition is currently under consideration by the DOT. From National Association of the Deaf website, dated 2/1/13.

It has been proven that in the US deaf people have a better safety record than hearing people.

Packmule

If you are talking stone deaf, probably not. One does need to be able to discern traffic noises like horns,sirens,etc. Also there is the problem of how to communicate with customers.
On the other hand, hard of hearing is a whole different story. Being just that I can personally testify that I can hear traffic sounds all day long. I can hear peoples' voices easy enough too, it's the articulation that gets lost due to high and low frequencies being poor. Hearing aids have helped considerably with voices, but traffic sounds never were a problem and the only thing DOT requirements have accomplished in my life is giving me white coat syndrome!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My mother has been deaf from birth, and I can attest to the fact that until she got old, she was a very good driver. She had very few accidents in her life and almost all were because someone hit HER. I don't know how many times in my life people have asked, "She's deaf, how can she drive?" Uh, she's deaf, not blind. As far as the communicating with customers goes, that's a whole different story.

Packmule

In a historic victory for deaf and hard of hearing truckers, the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) announced today, after decades of prohibition, that deaf drivers can operate commercial motor vehicles such as large trucks. Today, the DOT granted 40 applications filed by the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) seeking exemption from the hearing standard that has barred deaf drivers from obtaining commercial drivers’ licenses (CDLs). In announcing this historic decision, the DOT cited research demonstrating that deaf drivers are as safe as hearing drivers. In addition to granting the 40 exemptions, the DOT recognized that the NAD has filed a petition to remove the hearing standard in its entirety from the regulation. That petition is currently under consideration by the DOT. From National Association of the Deaf website, dated 2/1/13.

It has been proven that in the US deaf people have a better safety record than hearing people.
So, would that apply to UPS package car drivers? I could get off the blood pressure meds!