Should I move on from UPS?

Should I quit?

• Total voters

Bottom rung

You'll be single soon, no kids, making big dollars soon. You'd be a fool to walk from this gig. Take a look around and see what compensation others receive. No cost health insurance, $34/hour, possibly having a pension when you retire. Take a week of vacation in the tropics, you'll snap out of it.

TheCreepo

It's a difficult job .. And for the most part you're alone through out the day .. I've been thru a few personal situations it doesn't help with this job. Not to sound blunt . Find someone else who will you feel like you are at home .

SmithBarney

I've been a full time driver for just over a mere 2 years. With the newest contract I've got another 2 before top pay. I'm in a northern state and winter is hell. Closest family is half of the country away. I'm only up here for my college girlfriend but looks like this relationship will end. I've already got another 11 guys under me in seniority and last month got my own route. It's a good route not going to lie. Would quitting and moving south away from the cold be worth it? I'm not happy living in this area but I'm afraid I won't find a job that can match pay and benefits elsewhere. Anyone else go through a similar situation?

STAY, you are young college age FT driver legally single you can put a ton of money away in 15-20yrs semi retire in your 40's or keep working.
Worst decision I ever made was to leave UPS. And you are right unless you have some professional degree, you won't match the pay and benefits of UPS

I've been a full time driver for just over a mere 2 years. With the newest contract I've got another 2 before top pay. I'm in a northern state and winter is hell. Closest family is half of the country away. I'm only up here for my college girlfriend but looks like this relationship will end. I've already got another 11 guys under me in seniority and last month got my own route. It's a good route not going to lie. Would quitting and moving south away from the cold be worth it? I'm not happy living in this area but I'm afraid I won't find a job that can match pay and benefits elsewhere. Anyone else go through a similar situation?

I believe the worst ideal will be to up root your career because you are having relationship problems. The circumstances that brought you here as you have stated was due in part to your relationship with your "college" girlfriend. I'm assuming as a college student she's exposed to different experiences and different types of guys which perhaps is starting to make you feel a little insecure perhaps with reason.

I would highly recommend that you really evaluate what you have (your career with ups) and be open to the possibility that perhaps this relationship has ran its course. Make your current career work for you. Focus on building a life for yourself and believe me you'll meet the right person for you in due time.

WorknLateHuh

You'd be a fool to walk from this gig. Take a look around and see what compensation others receive.

Why would he be a fool? He knows what he would be losing... Props to him for looking past the money/Bennie's and looking to better himself by sacrificing what could potentially be the best paying job he's ever had. Not everyone can do that. He would be a fool to not be able to look past the financial/stability part of it.

I would say... at least wait until Spring. Give it a little time.

Last edited:

brown67

Take your time. Don't rush. You have a great job, so think it through. I had the grass is always greener mindset until the dotcom bust and 9/11. I'll admit I had the "I'm just a delivery driver" mindset until then. Watching friends and relatives getting laid off, pay and benefits cut turned me around. Especially when they started coming to me saying how lucky I was to work for UPS.

Happened again in 2008 with the housing crash. I'm in feeders now making over 100k a year while my older airline pilot brother just equalled me in pay. Just made captain. Still have better benefits. He has the "job" everyone admires, but he's gone through layoffs, and pay cuts, and insecurity that I've never had.

There are very few jobs that pay as well (even with advanced degrees), are secure, and stable as UPS.

AlphaMikeBravo

SummerMan, I've been thru multiple long term jobs and all I can say is that the grass always might seem greener someplace else, but more often than not there will be something else you will not like about the new job (weather, co-workers, environment, etc.)

It sucks working in the winter, I know how it is, but life has a way of balancing things out. Yes, the weather is nicer down south, but job prospects in the south really suck, and do you really want to lose the seniority that you've worked so hard to get?

Listen young buck, you've got co-workers that are cool, a route you can call your own, your making decent money now with top shelf benefits for your age and in 2 years you'll be making more than a lot of people who are much older than you who have to play office politics. (I hope your maxing out your 401k). On top of that you've got strong UNION backing.

I think the combination of the winter blues + the fact that you lost your girlfriend just magnifies the whole situation and you just want to get away and forget how crappy it feels. If I hit the nail on the head, then DON'T ever back down and run away just because you feel crappy or don't ever run away just because of ONE girl. There are a billion girls on this planet to choose from and if she is not down to ride with you, that is her loss.

Remember, what doesn't break you can only make you stronger. Now go in to work, brofist your teamster bros, and run your route following the methods. After work pop open a few cold ones with co-workers cause this buds for you. By next summertime you'll have yourself another hottie willing to ride the brown monster!

"You can't choose what life throws your way, but you can always choose your attitude!"

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Find a good woman that will cook and clean. This job gets better with time as you get your own route and have get to top rate.

tarbar66

SummerMan, I've been thru multiple long term jobs and all I can say is that the grass always might seem greener someplace else, but more often than not there will be something else you will not like about the new job (weather, co-workers, environment, etc.)

It sucks working in the winter, I know how it is, but life has a way of balancing things out. Yes, the weather is nicer down south, but job prospects in the south really suck, and do you really want to lose the seniority that you've worked so hard to get?

Listen young buck, you've got co-workers that are cool, a route you can call your own, your making decent money now with top shelf benefits for your age and in 2 years you'll be making more than a lot of people who are much older than you who have to play office politics. (I hope your maxing out your 401k). On top of that you've got strong UNION backing.

I think the combination of the winter blues + the fact that you lost your girlfriend just magnifies the whole situation and you just want to get away and forget how crappy it feels. If I hit the nail on the head, then DON'T ever back down and run away just because you feel crappy or don't ever run away just because of ONE girl. There are a billion girls on this planet to choose from and if she is not down to ride with you, that is her loss.

Remember, what doesn't break you can only make you stronger. Now go in to work, brofist your teamster bros, and run your route following the methods. After work pop open a few cold ones with co-workers cause this buds for you. By next summertime you'll have yourself another hottie willing to ride the brown monster!

"You can't choose what life throws your way, but you can always choose your attitude!"

Great advise, their are many other ladies out there that would like to meet you.

Just remember that winter only lasts 3 months!

Rack em

Made the Podium
You should wait until you hit top rate and then see how you feel.... Also you can put in for a transfer and request to go somewhere in the south. That way the only thing you'll lose is seniority