Should part time employees make the same rate as full time employees?

I would challenge your theory pretty hard since the large amount of part-timers don’t even make it nine months and those that do are looking to go full-time or doing it just for the school money anyway. We go through new member sign ups every month and most of them never even get more than two or three months of dues taken out.
Many of them never come back after break

Everybody isn’t like you. Some people enjoy their lives and want to spend time with their families.

they can dish it but can’t take it? You want me to quote all the things they said? They’re talking so much crap I didn’t realize they were such snowflakes…
I made that sacrifice so my wife could be a stay-at-home mother and take care of my kids instead of having two parents working

HarryWarden

I made that sacrifice so my wife could be a stay-at-home mother and take care of my kids instead of having two parents working
And I respect that. I’m not here saying you deserve less pay. If anything you deserve more, and I would fight for that. I think you work a lot harder than the shareholders making billions

What I don’t get is the disrespect you keep showing part timers for asking for a respectable wage, ignoring the fact that wages didn’t raise for 30 years, and just the overall contempt you show for them all

I just don’t understand why it’s so controversial for a single person to ask to be able to support themselves and live on their own frugally while going through school through working a part time physical labor job that makes billions in profit

And I respect that. I’m not here saying you deserve less pay. If anything you deserve more, and I would fight for that. I think you work a lot harder than the shareholders making billions

What I don’t get is the disrespect you keep showing part timers for asking for a respectable wage, ignoring the fact that wages didn’t raise for 30 years, and just the overall contempt you show for them all

I just don’t understand why it’s so controversial for a single person to ask to be able to support themselves and live on their own frugally while going through school through working a part time physical labor job that makes billions in profit
Nobody here says that part-timers should not get a nice raise.
But if you want the big money you have to go full-time that is the way the system is set up whether you are an hourly employee or whether you're in management

HarryWarden

Nobody here says that part-timers should not get a nice raise.
But if you want the big money you have to go full-time that is the way the system is set up whether you are an hourly employee or whether you're in management
I agree, If you want big money, go full time. You’ll be getting AT LEAST double the amount because you’re full time, hence working twice the hours

That’s what I’ve been saying the whole time.

You and others have been really disrespectful to part timers in here. Asking for a living wage is suddenly liberal propaganda. No one is saying you should be able to support a family on part time wages.

I’m saying a long term part timer warehouse should have the same top out hourly pay as a full time warehouse worker, and I really don’t see why that is so controversial

HarryWarden

I think Mr. Obrien's strategy here is brilliant. UPS was going to frame the narrative as UPS drivers and their 100k wages. Making this about the majority of the workforce being part-time and their poverty wages, public perception flips. If we win a good contract for everyone, workers at amazon and elsewhere will take note. I am grateful the minority of selfish drivers aren't near the negotiation table. This is about raising everyone up and growing teamster membership. Part-time ain't a crime. This media tour touting part-time garbage wages is going to pay off IMO.
Very well said

The Range

In too deep
In a just-world, yeah. However, people do not get what they deserve. Part-timers should make the same rate as FT for the same work. Don't worry - you couldn't support a family as PT. You'd still need to go full-time if this was your only gig, obviously. I think part of the FT outrage when this topic is brought up is based on jealousy and fear. If part-timers made the same rate for the same work, many current FT would want to go back to PT and spend the rest of their day smoking weed and playing video games. It's a lot of projection. In addition, people have been conditioned to believe the pie cannot grow, only shifted.

Last edited:

HarryWarden

In a just-world, yeah. However, people do not get what they deserve. Part-timers should make the same rate as FT for the same work. Don't worry - you couldn't support a family as PT. You'd still need to go full-time if this was your only gig, obviously. I think part of the FT outrage when this topic is brought up is based on jealousy and fear. If part-timers made the same rate for the same work, many current FT would want to go back to PT and spend the rest of their day smoking weed and playing video games. It's a lot of projection. In addition, people have been conditioned to believe the pie cannot grow, only shifted.
Very well said

So many people keep bringing up “you think you should be able to support a family on part time?!”

Huh? No… it’s hard enough for people to support a family on their full time hours, you’re telling me you could do it by cutting your paycheck in half?

I think a lot of people think by saying part time full progression pay should be same as full time pay, they’re thinking our paychecks should be the same amount whether working 4 or 8 hours lol

Equal pay for equal work. The benefits of a full time position is a guarantee to more hours (hence more pay) and a better pension

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Very well said

So many people keep bringing up “you think you should be able to support a family on part time?!”

Huh? No… it’s hard enough for people to support a family on their full time hours, you’re telling me you could do it by cutting your paycheck in half?

I think a lot of people think by saying part time full progression pay should be same as full time pay, they’re thinking our paychecks should be the same amount whether working 4 or 8 hours lol

Equal pay for equal work. The benefits of a full time position is a guarantee to more hours (hence more pay) and a better pension
So you make no sacrifices and guarantees of your availability to the company, and expect the same compensation?

There’s almost always extra work for those who want it.

But if you’re full time, you can’t tell the company you’re not working your full shift.

The Range

In too deep
Very well said

Exactly - in a union shop the distinction between PT and FT should be made in areas such as pension, seniority, and additional hours. It should not be made in rate discrepancy when doing the same work shoulder-to-shoulder.

HarryWarden

So you make no sacrifices and guarantees of your availability to the company, and expect the same compensation?

There’s almost always extra work for those who want it.

But if you’re full time, you can’t tell the company you’re not working your full shift.
Huh? You make the same sacrifice and guarantee as a full timer does, just half the hours, so half the paycheck.

How is that so hard for you to understand?