Should part time employees make the same rate as full time employees?

The Range

In too deep
But you don’t truly do the same work.

Not until you are making the same sacrifices that full timer has.
2 teamsters sorting next to each other are doing the same work. You're off on an abstract argument.
lol.gif

HarryWarden

But you don’t truly do the same work.

Not until you are making the same sacrifices that full timer has.
You keep saying sacrifices like they’re out their fighting in war..

They’re working a few extra hours a day. That’s it. And they get paid for those hours

MAKAVELI

The bottom line is full timers know their piece of the pie gets a little smaller if part timers get more. It's the same I got mine, friend you mentality at any job. I'm sure the company loves the division it creates, especially when it comes to negotiations.

Part timer chiming in, I've been to parking lot meetings, voted in union elections national and local. I signed every single full time bid 22.3, 22.4, cover driver, air driver, etc. Just haven't gotten anything approved though I've been here a few years already. I also have 2 gigs I do after preload shift.

Preload is :censored2:ing hard. Last year I noticed we got about 5 hours to load 700 - 800 pieces. We have the same volume this year because management has condensed routes as last year or in some cases more volume and they've slowly squeezed our hours down to 4 a day.

I feel like we're being squeezed for every bit of work to death this contract year for a reason unknown to me. Sometimes I find myself running from truck to truck just to keep up with flow. You do not want to be anywhere near last one off the clock management will scream at you, so I'm one of the first just so I don't have to be verbally abused.

The thing that confuses me here is I thought it was very kind that union members, mostly drivers, most part timers in my building have jobs right after ups work and can't attend union meetings; these drivers are fighting hard for us to make 25/hr and most of the ones I talk to on a daily basis are all for it helping their loader. On this forum I have lurked and many drivers apparently don't want to fight for us part timers as well.

I'm disheartened now after lurking this forum for so long, I guess a belief that I had that most drivers treat their part timers as brothers to the point that they are fighting primarily for us isn't completely correct.

HarryWarden

The bottom line is full timers know their piece of the pie gets a little smaller if part timers get more. It's the same I got mine, friend you mentality at any job. I'm sure the company loves the division it creates, especially when it comes to negotiations.
You’re damn right. It’s sad though because they’re so worried about the part timers they don’t focus on the CEO and shareholder stealing damn near the entire pie while they’re fighting over the crumbs

HarryWarden

Part timer chiming in, I've been to parking lot meetings, voted in union elections national and local. I signed every single full time bid 22.3, 22.4, cover driver, air driver, etc. Just haven't gotten anything approved though I've been here a few years already. I also have 2 gigs I do after preload shift.

Preload is :censored2:ing hard. Last year I noticed we got about 5 hours to load 700 - 800 pieces. We have the same volume this year because management has condensed routes as last year or in some cases more volume and they've slowly squeezed our hours down to 4 a day.

I feel like we're being squeezed for every bit of work to death this contract year for a reason unknown to me. Sometimes I find myself running from truck to truck just to keep up with flow. You do not want to be anywhere near last one off the clock management will scream at you, so I'm one of the first just so I don't have to be verbally abused.

The thing that confuses me here is I thought it was very kind that union members, mostly drivers, most part timers in my building have jobs right after ups work and can't attend union meetings; these drivers are fighting hard for us to make 25/hr and most of the ones I talk to on a daily basis are all for it helping their loader. On this forum I have lurked and many drivers apparently don't want to fight for us part timers as well.

I'm disheartened now after lurking this forum for so long, I guess a belief that I had that most drivers treat their part timers as brothers to the point that they are fighting primarily for us isn't completely correct.
It’s been very confusing and disapointing for me as well. We should all be in this together. A rising tide raises all ships

evilleace

60% of ups is part time. It’s the reason you’re able to have a job at this point. It’s baffling how much disrespect you show to your fellow union workers
I'll get a lot of hate for this but...

The short is answer is no you don't deserve equal pay. You deserve a nice raise but not equal.
85% of all part timers are absolutely terrible at their job, whether they have been here 6 months or 10 years.
PT is definitely not the reason I have a job, 15 years of hard work and sacrifice with 6 of those being PT years. If PT was the sole reason they wouldn't call me to work preload 2 or 3 days a week and every Saturday.
Finally I give 8+ hrs every day to the company, you give 3.5 to 4 and get exactly the same benefits and vacation time as I do.
$15.00 starting plus progression raises to a top rate is more than fair for what PT does, and honestly at $20.00+ an hour I think we would still get crap employees.

The Range

In too deep
You’re damn right. It’s sad though because they’re so worried about the part timers they don’t focus on the CEO and shareholder stealing damn near the entire pie while they’re fighting over the crumbs
Bingo bongo - as the esteemed Mr. Dave says: this job doesn't require a higher education. The petty infighting over scraps is on full display. Don't worry brothers and sisters, we can all win this time around.

HarryWarden

I'll get a lot of hate for this but...

The short is answer is no you don't deserve equal pay. You deserve a nice raise but not equal.
85% of all part timers are absolutely terrible at their job, whether they have been here 6 months or 10 years.
PT is definitely not the reason I have a job, 15 years of hard work and sacrifice with 6 of those being PT years. If PT was the sole reason they wouldn't call me to work preload 2 or 3 days a week and every Saturday.
Finally I give 8+ hrs every day to the company, you give 3.5 to 4 and get exactly the same benefits and vacation time as I do.
$15.00 starting plus progression raises to a top rate is more than fair for what PT does, and honestly at $20.00+ an hour I think we would still get crap employees.
For you people keep saying part timers don’t deserve better pay because they suck at their job, you get what you pay for

How do you think the quality of drivers would be if their pay also didn’t Increase for 30 years?

A full time position still has benefits, the biggest being the first to guarantee more hours. Perfect if you want to make more money

This is a union job and it should be equal pay for equal work

Thebrownblob

Sean pretty much says here UPS has never offered part-timers $35 an hour in this negotiation.
This is the best interview I’ve seen him do I really like what he says here.

PT Car Washer

For you people keep saying part timers don’t deserve better pay because they suck at their job, you get what you pay for

How do you think the quality of drivers would be if their pay also didn’t Increase for 30 years?

A full time position still has benefits, the biggest being the first to guarantee more hours. Perfect if you want to make more money

This is a union job and it should be equal pay for equal work
What most of you new guys (under 30 years) is that PT and FT used to make the same wages. Even now I have the same hourly rate as the FT car washers. For a while I was paid more. This was to protect FT jobs and was an incentive for UPS to create more FT jobs.

The Range

In too deep
As an aside, go to a cozy legalized weed shop with A/C. The people working the counter are making 21/h+ with a tip jar. You realize even the laziest inside PTer at UPS is not so terrible relatively speaking. People who 'make it' at UPS and similar jobs are just built differently. Every day I am inspired by the hard work of those around me.