Should part time employees make the same rate as full time employees?

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Hey buddy, maybe part timers don’t vote as much because they’re paid scraps and barely scraping by and working 2-3 jobs and don’t have time to read a contract or know what’s going on

Maybe if they were paid a living wage, like they were in the 80s, they would be more invested in this company and have time to learn, and they would vote and participate, like they did in 97, the reason so many of you have full time jobs

Maybe that’s the reason corporate has kept part time wages so low and they know exactly what they’re doing

Thank goodness we have someone like Sean fighting for us instead of people like you
Wouldn’t you vote though so you won’t be fed scraps?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Do PTers have worse health insurance?

I thought it was all the same for union.... in which case the argument about "dudes that hold on forever because they get more than they give" makes a little more sense.

idk, I could be wrong, though. PTers should make a livable wage, but my sense of what that is is definitely skewed because I started out making $8.50/hr and after 7-8 years I was making $16-and-some-change/hr, which I was actually okay with until I found out that new hires were going to start getting $15/hr and since I was already above that I'd only be seeing my annual.

THAT'S the reason I went driving.
Wow. You mean you weren’t happy with your paycheck so you bettered yourself and got a better job instead of whining about your situation? Damn. I think we call that in the biz “being an adult.”

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
no idea but strategically thinking if the company wanted to piss off full-time, they might release their proposal thinking we will be pissed that we’re not voting on it. Knowing that there part time offer is substandard currently.
Finally, we cracked the case!!! Thank you!

Thebrownblob

Finally, we cracked the case!!! Thank you!
I’m just making a point now everything is strategy the company would love to turn us against each other right now at the end as much as possible. I’m not saying that’s what’s happening here. I’m just saying it would make sense.
1688768536882.gif

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
60% of ups is part time. It’s the reason you’re able to have a job at this point. It’s baffling how much disrespect you show to your fellow union workers
That’s not the reason we can have a job. Most PTers won’t even sign full time bids, they think full time is too hard. Cut the crap, PT is benefit for the union AND the company because of the constant turnover. It’s not a career.

HarryWarden

I’m just making a point now everything is strategy the company would love to turn us against each other right now at the end as much as possible. I’m not saying that’s what’s happening here. I’m just saying it would make sense.
It makes perfect sense. Look at how well it’s working just in this thread. Full timers have complete disrespect and almost anger towards part timers wanting a fair wage. I haven’t seen any comments about how much the CEO and shareholders make, but lots of animosity towards fellow blue collar workers keeping the operation running

Thebrownblob

Way to miss the point. You wouldn’t be able to work if not for the part timers. They’re 60% of the labor and the reason you have a job
Calm down hairy. Most of us were part time personally almost 8 years.. whether you understand it or not the company and the union decided the part time job is more of a go to school job or a steppingstone to full-time. That was my wages were ignored, and eventually school. Started being paid for and more full-time jobs were eventually given.
If President O’Brien can get you 223 money, I’m all for it, but I do not believe that’s on the table. You are getting a substantial because they do value the part timer, and want to include them.

Thebrownblob

It makes perfect sense. Look at how well it’s working just in this thread. Full timers have complete disrespect and almost anger towards part timers wanting a fair wage. I haven’t seen any comments about how much the CEO and shareholders make, but lots of animosity towards fellow blue collar workers keeping the operation running
It’s been a spirited discussion all around nobody disrespects you or does not appreciate your efforts. Any one who does not think you’re going to get the money you’re asking for is only trying to be reasonable, same as we’ve been trying to be with people who’ve been telling us top scale drivers are going to get $10 an hour raise August 1.

HarryWarden

That’s not the reason we can have a job. Most PTers won’t even sign full time bids, they think full time is too hard. Cut the crap, PT is benefit for the union AND the company because of the constant turnover. It’s not a career.
Part timers are absolutley a part of the reason you have a job. They’re 60% of the labor. Whose loading the trucks?

And how is constant turnover a benefit to the union? It’s absolutey a benefit to the company though, cheap labor that they won’t have to pay health insurance for, but you fools are too manipulated to see through the charade

HarryWarden

Sure I could come in an hour earlier and load my own truck and then unload my own truck after work

If we all did that we would need very few part timers
LOL yeah right. You would be crying and whining and you know it, wouldn’t last a week. One of the big issues was forced over time as it is, and you pretend you’re going to do all the extra? HA

Thebrownblob

LOL yeah right. You would be crying and whining and you know it, wouldn’t last a week. One of the big issues was forced over time as it is, and you pretend you’re going to do all the extra? HA
Easy lots of guys love to do it every day some of the idiots, do it free ,and Would bitch no matter what they did, so it really doesn’t matter.

Thebrownblob

Ptrs have been supporting the fters for a long time with their high turn over, not using benefits., etc....their total cost to ups is the hourly rate plus benefits which many won't use..thats about 9 dollars to the union for every hour they work......its not the same for the fters..give the pters the full amount and have the fters pay their own way....the sluice fund needs revision......the fters are taking the pters money........divvy it up fairly bros......no wonder the teamsters are called reamsters where I am....also the pt bender over
I would challenge your theory pretty hard since the large amount of part-timers don’t even make it nine months and those that do are looking to go full-time or doing it just for the school money anyway. We go through new member sign ups every month and most of them never even get more than two or three months of dues taken out.