Should part time employees make the same rate as full time employees?

Huh? You make the same sacrifice and guarantee as a full timer does, just half the hours, so half the paycheck.

How is that so hard for you to understand?
Listen up sonny
He was a part-timer and I have a lot of respect for that punk ass because he worked a boatload of ours
He actually took a pay cut taking a full-time driving job because he has to go through progression but he is smart enough to have his eye on the prize

You could learn a lot from him

I'll still bust his chops but I do have a lot of respect for him

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Huh? You make the same sacrifice and guarantee as a full timer does, just half the hours, so half the paycheck.

How is that so hard for you to understand?
Don’t get snippy with me.

I understood your post perfectly.

As a part timer, you can choose to work more, or less hours based on whether you feel like working. Double shifting and extra work.

As a full timer, you do not have the same freedom of leaving after 3.5 or so hours.

You have additional freedom that the full time employee has to sacrifice.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
IMG_4592.gif

HarryWarden

Don’t get snippy with me.

I understood your post perfectly.

As a part timer, you can choose to work more, or less hours based on whether you feel like working. Double shifting and extra work.

As a full timer, you do not have the same freedom of leaving after 3.5 or so hours.

You have additional freedom that the full time employee has to sacrifice.
You’re wrong. Part time is guaranteed to 3.5, full time 8. You’re acting like as a part timer I can leave whenever I want or show up whenever I want differently than a full timer.

You think when my 3.5 hits I can just walk out the door? Peak season they have us working 9 hour days, why do I not get a higher wage then?

Full timers get guaranteed more hours so they get a bigger paycheck

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
You’re wrong. Part time is guaranteed to 3.5, full time 8. You’re acting like as a part timer I can leave whenever I want or show up whenever I want differently than a full timer.

You think when my 3.5 hits I can just walk out the door? Peak season they have us working 9 hour days, why do I not get a higher wage then?

Average shift lengths are short outside of peak.

You are paid OT after 5 hours. You are compensated during peak.

During most of the year, you get to work a few hours, and then choose to work or not.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Part timers get to go home to mom’s house, rub one out and then play video games all day, waiting for mom to come home and make dinner. Efff off

PPH_over_9000

Wow. You mean you weren’t happy with your paycheck so you bettered yourself and got a better job instead of whining about your situation? Damn. I think we call that in the biz “being an adult.”

Mannn, I can't tell if this is a shots fired situation or if it's just kind of a roundabout way to :censored2: on longtime PTers.

I'm going with the latter, though. I flipped a coin on it.

HarryWarden

Average shift lengths are short outside of peak.

You are paid OT after 5 hours. You are compensated during peak.

During most of the year, you get to work a few hours, and then choose to work or not.
Working here ten years, my OVERTIME pay is still $13 less an hour then the full time loader loading with me in the same trailer doing the same work

The rest of the year they don’t offer over time hours, and my wage is then even more significantly smaller

That is the benefit of being full time, guarantee to full time hours.

There is no reason for the hourly wage to be a part of it when you’re doing the same work

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Mannn, I can't tell if this is a shots fired situation or if it's just kind of a roundabout way to :censored2: on longtime PTers.

I'm going with the latter, though. I flipped a coin on it.
Wasn’t a shot at you. Not even the part timers. I was part time for a hot minute I know the job sucks. It was a shot at a particular part timer who just keeps repeating the same argument over and over. Little dudes jealous another union brother is making more than him and refuses to shut up about it.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Part timers get crapped on because they do not participate in the process.
How many go to the union hall for the craft meetings?
How many actually take the time to vote?
If the part timers participated more there wouldn't be a pay gap that there is.

The Range

In too deep
So you're saying working three to four hours a day is hard as working 8 to 9 hours a day?
Settle down.

I believe an argument could be made that the average part-timer moves more weight during a 4-hour shift than the average full-time combo who "made it" and loads for 4 hours then has a breezy second-half bid. PT and FT inside both move more weight than a driver, if we want to talk about "hard work". That said, drivers have more responsibility. Ultimately, we are all self-absorbed. We all have it worse than the other guy, in our own mind.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Working here ten years, my OVERTIME pay is still $13 less an hour then the full time loader loading with me in the same trailer doing the same work

The rest of the year they don’t offer over time hours, and my wage is then even more significantly smaller

That is the benefit of being full time, guarantee to full time hours.

There is no reason for the hourly wage to be a part of it when you’re doing the same work
Apparently the union, the company, and the vast majority of employees who voted on contracts before you all disagree.

Part timers deserve a better deal.
But equal pay for equal work is a misnomer.

Equal work for equal sacrifice.

Part timers can show up high, drunk, or not at all. They get away with murder compared to the standard set for full timers.

Settle down.

I believe an argument could be made that the average part-timer moves more weight during a 4-hour shift than the average full-time combo who "made it" and loads for 4 hours then has a breezy second-half bid. PT and FT inside both move more weight than a driver, if we want to talk about "hard work". That said, drivers have more responsibility. Ultimately, we are all self-absorbed. We all have it worse than the other guy, in our own mind.
Go driving for a day and get back to me
Then you'll see what responsibility is.

The Range

In too deep
Part timers get crapped on because they do not participate in the process.
How many go to the union hall for the craft meetings?
How many actually take the time to vote?
If the part timers participated more there wouldn't be a pay gap that there is.
And it ain't ever gonna change. Demographics matter. The majority of part-timers are young kids passing through. You'll never get them to participate. Does it mean the PTers who do care and are invested should remain at minimum wage? The company and union exploit the demographics. Good on Mr. Obrien for recognizing the utility of fighting for part-timers as a way to grow future teamster membership, which benefits everyone.

HarryWarden

Wasn’t a shot at you. Not even the part timers. I was part time for a hot minute I know the job sucks. It was a shot at a particular part timer who just keeps repeating the same argument over and over. Little dudes jealous another union brother is making more than him and refuses to shut up about it.
No one is jealous about you making more than others. You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills

If you work more hours of course you should make more money

Doesn’t mean you should get paid more for the hour for the same work

HarryWarden

Go driving for a day and get back to me
Then you'll see what responsibility is.
I’ve said it about a dozen times now, I believe drivers should make more money than loaders because it is a different responsibility

This entire time i have only said that a full progression part time worker should make the same hourly rate as a full time warehouse worker. That’s it

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
No one is jealous about you making more than others. You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills

But you don’t truly do the same work.

Not until you are making the same sacrifices that full timer has.

Can you drive a tractor trailer?
How about a set of doubles in the middle of night during a severe thunderstorm?