Should Upstate Bid a 22.3 Job? (On Topic--please)

Would you consider taking a 22.3 job shortly before retiring?

• Total voters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We recently had a 22.3 retire and mgt is in the process of re-classifying the job before putting it up for bid. According to the sort manager, the job will be preload, EAMs and air driver. The hours and pay rate have not been established but our BA estimates that it will be about a $5-$6/hr pay cut, which would put it right around $27-$28/hr. He also said that the pension contributions are the same and that taking the job would have no impact on my monthly pension amount.

27 years in and the injuries, both on and off the job, are starting to take their toll. It is also getting harder to motivate myself to get up and go to work each day, especially during the winter.

I am set to retire on 7/1/18 and my projected last day of work will be on or about 5/1/18.

I am leaning toward taking the job but would like to hear what others have to say. Please note that I don't make decisions such as this based upon the comments of strangers on an anonymous Internet chat forum but am hoping that someone may mention something that I may have either overlooked or not yet thought of.

Thank for you keeping your comments on topic.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what I have seen in the past, morning 22.3 jobs in my center are much more likely to get overtime than the ones at night, which are strictly capped at 40 hours per week.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We recently had a 22.3 retire and mgt is in the process of re-classifying the job before putting it up for bid. According to the sort manager, the job will be preload, EAMs and air driver. The hours and pay rate have not been established but our BA estimates that it will be about a $5-$6/hr pay cut, which would put it right around $27-$28/hr. He also said that the pension contributions are the same and that taking the job would have no impact on my monthly pension amount.

27 years in and the injuries, both on and off the job, are starting to take their toll. It is also getting harder to motivate myself to get up and go to work each day, especially during the winter.

I am set to retire on 7/1/18 and my projected last day of work will be on or about 5/1/18.

I am leaning toward taking the job but would like to hear what others have to say. Please note that I don't make decisions such as this based upon the comments of strangers on an anonymous Internet chat forum but am hoping that someone may mention something that I may have either overlooked or not yet thought of.

Speaking from personal experience, Dave, I'm not so sure you would like it.

In early 2003, I bid a 22.3 preload/porter job. And, much of my porter time was driving, either late airs, running overflow to satellite routes or actually small splits off existing routes.

I did, and you damned well better, gain much more respect for the good preloaders who dragged themselves in every day at 4:00 AM or earlier to do one of the tougher jobs at UPS. It is hard work, and at your age, walking on concrete for four or more hours every morning is going to be hard on you.

As far as overtime, here it seemed to be a flavor-of-the-month sort of thing. Much of the year, I was capped at forty hours, unless my center manager needed me to help someone and was willing to go out on a limb and send me out longer. During peak, twelve-plus hour days were common, but I was still getting done before dark.

Make sure you have and out. Somebody else near retirement with a route you may like running. That's how I got back out on the street, and I was glad I was able to.

Good luck, and you can PM me with any questions.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I worked preload from the time i was 19-22 ,and being in my 50's now I am not so sure I could deal with the physical aspects of loading Four trucks or unloading.
Unless your route is really kicking your ass I'd suggest staying put or bidding on an easier route . The grass aint always greener

I worked preload from the time i was 19-22 ,and being in my 50's now I am not so sure I could deal with the physical aspects of loading Four trucks or unloading.
Unless your route is really kicking your ass I'd suggest staying put or bidding on an easier route . The grass aint always greener
I did preload a few years ago, should have stayed. My knees and ankle never felt better.

Just not enough money,right now.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

If you can financially afford it take it. I was in same situation a couple of years ago and have not regretted it. The wear and tear you save on your body will be worth it. Good luck