Shutdown on biggest day in Denver?

aspenleaf

I can just see the tears streaming down little junior's face cause his sled didn't make it because of a snow storm: all that snow and no sled. You wouldn't catch me ruining it for some little fella who just wanted to have a good Christmas this year. I'd be over getting flame throwers from the National Guard to get up to those front doors. :<)

Hey it is not UPS' fault that people don't send packages early. Christmas has been December 25th for a very long time now. So if grandma wants little Billy to have a sled she should send it sooner just in case there is a huge blizzard that shuts down the city. Of course she may live in FL and not know how winter works in the rest of the country. We only lost one day (of course that one day created a huge mess); I am sure we will be making it up tomorrow and this weekend. Everyone will get their packages if they sent them on time. I would have been very upset if my packages would have arrived yesterday. I personally think the safety of others is more important than a package.

You can go with your bad self and flame throwers trying to save the holidays but you will really tick off grandma when you accidentally burn down her front door just so you could deliver her HSN package.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I can just see the tears streaming down little junior's face cause his sled didn't make it because of a snow storm: all that snow and no sled. You wouldn't catch me ruining it for some little fella who just wanted to have a good Christmas this year. I'd be over getting flame throwers from the National Guard to get up to those front doors. :<)

Nice guy, isn't he? And I hit the deck laughing at the flamethrowers idea, Send. Classic Urban Commando. Got a Humvee, too? lol

Beyond that...I agree with Aspen. This IS Denver and isn't this city KNOWN for its blizzards???

We'll get these packages delivered and we'll work part or all of the weekend to do it, too. By the way, Send, my driver and I did about 25 stops in the 2.5 hours we were out. The people I gave packages to were STUNNED we were out. One guy offered me a soda or sports drink if I wanted it (pretty much typical for a person to offer a UPSer delivering, or so I'm told). A young woman I gave a box to had tears in her eyes, so I think it was a Christmas gift she didn't expect to see after the snow hit. An apt delivery apologized for making me go up the stairs in the snow!! I think our customers will understand late packages. If not...there's nothing we can do. I've had it drilled into my head by multiple employers: "You and your safety are worth far more than a stupid product."

DS

Fenderbender
Hey sendagain,you are either trying to be funny,or you are just ignorant about what a mess 2 or 3 feet of snow can do to roads.
Heck,its just a few million sendagains right?
I commend you for deaking out the riots and the earthquakes,but
if you were there you`d be living up to your name.
I should know,I have an igloo up here in Canada,and we wouldn`t
send a dog team out in a blizzard like that.

helenofcalifornia

Just curious, but how do you dress in weather like that? And how does the dolly work in snow? Does the heater and defroster work in your trucks or is there constant "fog" on the windshields? Do you all have snow tires or do they bother with chains? I cannot imagine dressing for weather like that. We just had a somewhat big rain storm here tonight (look out Rockies, more bad weather coming your way!) and I was totally drenched and cold but not FROZEN and cold. Big difference. Tell us what today was like and what the next couple of days will be like. Where the heck is all the volume going to go? I would not like to load or deliver any of those trucks in the next couple of days, Good luck Colorado!!

satellitedriver

Wow! I thought I was the only SUPERMAN out there.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Just curious, but how do you dress in weather like that? And how does the dolly work in snow? Does the heater and defroster work in your trucks or is there constant "fog" on the windshields? Do you all have snow tires or do they bother with chains? I cannot imagine dressing for weather like that. We just had a somewhat big rain storm here tonight (look out Rockies, more bad weather coming your way!) and I was totally drenched and cold but not FROZEN and cold. Big difference. Tell us what today was like and what the next couple of days will be like. Where the heck is all the volume going to go? I would not like to load or deliver any of those trucks in the next couple of days, Good luck Colorado!!

You dress warmly and in layers. I'm a helper, so I get this pullover (Starter jacket-type design) and brown pants. When it was cold a few weeks ago, I was wearing another set of pants beneath the browns and a sweatshirt beneath the coat in addition to a t-shirt beneath the sweatshirt. Heater is OK in the P-1000 I think I'm in. Defroster is in the dead-center of the dash, so it doesn't do much good. I think I was in a P-700 recently and it was niiiice: heater, defroster, etc. I cant answer the question about snow-tires, though. I'm not a mechanically inclinded fellow.

Saw the news reports about MORE snow incoming. Trust me, it can't get too much worse. Denver's main hub (Commerce City) was shutdown all day today. Denver itself slowly started clawing its way back to life this afternoon. When I went out around 5 to get some air and see the city, Denver was operating at about 1/2 what I'd expect for that time of day. Downtown was ABANDONED. Mass transit is clawing its way back to operation with a Sunday schedule in effect tomorrow. Light rail has been running but not on any kinda schedule. I hope I NEVER see this kinda thing again!!

browniehound

Helen, believe it or not, you actually stay dryer in the snow. As long as the temp is not near 32 it will not melt and you don't get drenched like you would during a summer downpour. But working in it otherwise totally sucks. Anything more than a couple of inches and the 2-wheeler is useless.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Just an early update from Denver: Package car drivers were ordered to report at 10 a.m. Main arteries are cleared or soon will be. Full-tume drivers ARE working tomorrow. I'm a lowly helper and I asked if we're going to be worked tomorrow and was told, "We're still deciding that. Right now, we're just asking if you're available." Then, she knocked my socks off with, "Are you available at all next week?" So...we'll see what happens today. I'll post something tonite if I can type after the brutal day we're expecting!!!

disneyworld

Because of the BIG snowstorm in Denver does anyone know if UPS is still up and running even thow the government said no one should be on the streets?
I remember here in Ma about 8 yrs ago we had a huge snowstorm on Dec 23rd and got called off the road. Christmas Eve was a whole lotta fun.

SmithBarney

Just a snippet from the upsers site.
...UPS drivers will focus on holiday packages bound for residential destinations Friday and Saturday. There are no plans to deliver Christmas Eve, Sunday, December 24 nor Christmas Day, Monday, December 25, setting aside that time for UPSers to spend with their families...

aspenleaf

The sunrise sort did not run today but we loaded the midnight sort on the already full package cars. We were told we had to work tonight/ tomorrow am. Also they were not sure if we would run an air sort on Sunday (but they they told us this around 6am).

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
lets put send again from warm L.A in a feeder for 12 hours in a storm in Denver Buffalo or NEW ENGLAND he would pee his pants and cry for mommy!!!!!!!

sendagain

lets put send again from warm L.A in a feeder for 12 hours in a storm in Denver Buffalo or NEW ENGLAND he would pee his pants and cry for mommy!!!!!!![/QUOTE

Actually, the only snow I've seen in LA was falling off the coke spoons of the Hollywood elite. However, I was once told by an illegal immigrant, accosting me in bumper-to-bumper traffic, That if I didn't take him into downtown LA, he was going to shoot me with a 357 Magnum. Having only minutes to get my air back to the hub, I called his bluff, but he could produce no gun. In a fit a frustration he demanded I tell him where downtown LA was, and I pointed him toward the skyscrapers, sending him on his merry way.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Denver package cars were ordered home around 5:30 tonite. The roads were HORRENDUS!!!! My poor driver...he berated the company and the volume when he first picked me up, then started berating MORONIC drivers that blocked the ONE passable lane. We got stuck 5x today.

I was told we ARE working tomorrow but nothing yet about Sunday. If they do work Sunday, I won't be able to. My still anonymous Denver restaurant refused to pull my shifts for Saturday and Sunday. They agreed to let me come in late on Saturday but that was all. There is a serious rumor of keeping helpers on ALL next week. My driver said it would take a week to clean everything up. We'll see.

Aspen, I'm surprised they didn't run the Sunrise sort but DID run the Night Sort. Strange.

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with the comment about putting sendagain in a warm feeder in New England, DENVER, etc. But...I'd personally prefer to put him in package car here in Denver. He'd prolly lose this "Superman" attitude in a HURRY.

SmithBarney

Its not a rumor, helpers, seasonal drivers, and seasonal loaders are staying on till the mess is clean. All the uhauls are still rented for one more week... Tuesday is gonna suck.

browniehound

Denver package cars were ordered home around 5:30 tonite. The roads were HORRENDUS!!!! My poor driver...he berated the company and the volume when he first picked me up, then started berating MORONIC drivers that blocked the ONE passable lane. We got stuck 5x today.

I was told we ARE working tomorrow but nothing yet about Sunday. If they do work Sunday, I won't be able to. My still anonymous Denver restaurant refused to pull my shifts for Saturday and Sunday. They agreed to let me come in late on Saturday but that was all. There is a serious rumor of keeping helpers on ALL next week. My driver said it would take a week to clean everything up. We'll see.

Aspen, I'm surprised they didn't run the Sunrise sort but DID run the Night Sort. Strange.

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with the comment about putting sendagain in a warm feeder in New England, DENVER, etc. But...I'd personally prefer to put him in package car here in Denver. He'd prolly lose this "Superman" attitude in a HURRY.
Rocky, I've seen a couple of blizzards being from New England so I know how much the snow sucks. I also know that I would never work anywhere for 9.50 an hour when the work included sat. or sun. Your existince at UPS will be over Dec 25th at the latest. Screw them, because they have no regard to your needs. If I were you I wouldn't go to work sat. or sun. Its just not worth it!:mad:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky, I've seen a couple of blizzards being from New England so I know how much the snow sucks. I also know that I would never work anywhere for 9.50 an hour when the work included sat. or sun. Your existince at UPS will be over Dec 25th at the latest. Screw them, because they have no regard to your needs. If I were you I wouldn't go to work sat. or sun. Its just not worth it!:mad:

Thanks, Brownie. UPS.com said: Most UPS drivers in the affected areas are working on Saturday, and we will have extra staff working extra hours the week of Dec. 26 - 29 to make holiday deliveries as quickly as possible. I'm trying to get on after Peak. If I refused to work tomorrow that'd probably not happen. Its actually 11.75 here in Denver. And I have a choice: I can work with the LAZIEST, STUPIDEST ****s in the WORLD Saturday and Sunday or I can work with some of the hardest working people I've ever met, at least on Saturday. I think I choose the latter. This isn't my first stint with UPS, either. I was a hub worker in Illinois for just over a year. I quit because they refused a transfer request to close to school. I gave up trying to figure out what UPS was thinking about ANYTHING that day.