Shutdown on biggest day in Denver?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Denver is still a wreck. My driver was just about where HE should be in terms of volume, etc but other drivers were just destroyed. We finished our last stop about 3:40 and started our pickups. After that, we helped another driver with 30+ stops because he just wasn't gonna get it done. I think that driver went back to the building with an empty car for the first time in a week.

I found my first slightly upset customer today and she just voiced frustration that stuff 2nd Day Aired sometime last week hadn't arrived. I told her DIA had been shut down, etc, etc. She was slightly molified, just frustrated. Another customer said they'd had hardly anything to open yesterday because of the blizzard. Again, not upset, just very glad to get his stuff. By the way, all, I'm told Denver FedEx drivers were OFF for like three full days. They didn't even TRY to deliver. One of our pickups said his delivery driver opened the door and stuff just fell all over the place and he said, "Man, after I drop off your stuff, I gotta go back to the building and get like three days worth of stuff!!"

NOW...THERE'S MORE SNOW INCOMING!!!! Minimum 8 inches expected Thursday into Friday. This is gonna get ugly. RockyRogue

DS

Fenderbender
I know it seems impossible but it will all get back to normal in no time.
We had a nasty ice storm here 3 years ago and they called us off the
road.I drove home that night in my 1988 cutless supreme,driving past at least a hundred dead hondas,bmw`s,minivans.Sometimes disasters
bring us closer together.I think most customers will understand.

khanawalt

KennyH
I worked almost 7 hours on Saturday, and we'll be playing catch-up the rest of the week, although my rural route is getting everything delivered every day. It seems that people in rural areas have more places to pile snow and the equipment to clear their own driveways. City streets are a nightmare, and there's more snow in Fort Collins than up north where I deliver. One lane access on all side streets in town, along with large piles of snow all along the sides of it. I suppose it's the same in Denver.

brown67

Still hard to make deliveries. My helper hasn't come in since last Tuesday. Can't blame him. Got stuck in a resi. neighborhood for an hour today. Cities just aren't plowing very well. To make matter worse we are getting more snow on Thursday and Friday. Great. Brought back 20 stops today. Couldn't get into some neighborhoods.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I know it seems impossible but it will all get back to normal in no time.
We had a nasty ice storm here 3 years ago and they called us off the
road.I drove home that night in my 1988 cutless supreme,driving past at least a hundred dead hondas,bmw`s,minivans.Sometimes disasters
bring us closer together.I think most customers will understand.

Still hard to make deliveries. My helper hasn't come in since last Tuesday. Can't blame him. Got stuck in a resi. neighborhood for an hour today. Cities just aren't plowing very well. To make matter worse we are getting more snow on Thursday and Friday. Great. Brought back 20 stops today. Couldn't get into some neighborhoods.

Doublestandard, I agree. Most have been exceptionally nice. I went into a coffee shop that's a semi-regular delivery, got a sig for a package, turned to use their restroom and as I was turning, the guy offered me a coffee. Things like that tell me you're right.

Brown67, I obviously dono where you're based in Denver but drivers out of the Commerce City hub were told they were under an 11 hour curfew. The guy I was with could have been done at 5 but the Center made him help another driver. He was less than thrilled. But, we're gonna catch up and soon, I think. My driver told me Commerce City's capacity is 1 million packages a day. He also said there is a backlog of 500,000 packages for Colorado. That's why I say it could get ugly with this incoming snow. Rocky

DS

Fenderbender
Well I read you Coloradonians expect to finally get caught up on the backlog this week.You all certainly faced some diversity this year with
more snow than you`ve seen in years.To top it off you get an Avalanche in the Berthoud pass.
I knew you`d get through it,a few years ago almost every winter was
a daily challenge of snow and or freezing rain here where I am although
we`ve had it pretty easy this year.
Good job kids.
squirrel_snow.jpg

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Well I read you Coloradonians expect to finally get caught up on the backlog this week.You all certainly faced some diversity this year with
more snow than you`ve seen in years.To top it off you get an Avalanche in the Berthoud pass.
I knew you`d get through it,a few years ago almost every winter was
a daily challenge of snow and or freezing rain here where I am although
we`ve had it pretty easy this year.
Good job kids.

Hey, DS. Been awhile. I just picked myself up off the floor from laughing. I'm hearing rumors of 350K+ packages STILL backlogged. We'll get through it but drivers are getting angrier. I'm told they were gonna force ALL drivers to work on Saturday and were gonna work helpers, too. My driver called in. They offered me work 90 minutes away by bus. I turned it down. Its a biiiiig mess. I'm assuming Toronto's rezi streets get plowed at some point. As a rule, Denver doesn't do it. They were sooo desperate to get these rezi streets cleared, I saw an earthmover-type thing on a side street plowing the other day. No, not one of those big ole front-loader-type things but what I'd call a land grader. THAT was a sight. Guy looked like he was fighting like h*ll to control the steering. I saw him sitting on a side street a few minutes later, just waiting. He didn't look what I'd call thrilled. Keep in mind, folks (particularly not based Denver) that helpers ARE still working. This is unprecedented, I'm told. -Rocky

aspenleaf

Hey, DS. Been awhile. I just picked myself up off the floor from laughing. I'm hearing rumors of 350K+ packages STILL backlogged. We'll get through it but drivers are getting angrier. I'm told they were gonna force ALL drivers to work on Saturday and were gonna work helpers, too. My driver called in. They offered me work 90 minutes away by bus. I turned it down. Its a biiiiig mess. I'm assuming Toronto's rezi streets get plowed at some point. As a rule, Denver doesn't do it. They were sooo desperate to get these rezi streets cleared, I saw an earthmover-type thing on a side street plowing the other day. No, not one of those big ole front-loader-type things but what I'd call a land grader. THAT was a sight. Guy looked like he was fighting like h*ll to control the steering. I saw him sitting on a side street a few minutes later, just waiting. He didn't look what I'd call thrilled. Keep in mind, folks (particularly not based Denver) that helpers ARE still working. This is unprecedented, I'm told. -Rocky

We were told that we were caught up. However last Saturday a few us "called in" for this Satuday just in case. I figure if we are not caught up they will tell us we have to work another Saturday. Today was not that bad since we did work last Saturday a lot of the packages were taken care of. This has been a strange peak and we should be done soon.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
We were told that we were caught up. However last Saturday a few us "called in" for this Satuday just in case. I figure if we are not caught up they will tell us we have to work another Saturday. Today was not that bad since we did work last Saturday a lot of the packages were taken care of. This has been a strange peak and we should be done soon.

It wasn't bad for some drivers. My driver and I did something like 250+ stops in 8.5 hours. I helped a manager get some stuff off his package car, too. This should be our last week using helpers. Friday, however, will tell. This is my fourth peak in some form or another with UPS and I must say, I've NEVER seen anything like it!!!

LKLND3380

Have UPS help... Mount some plows on the front of package cars... They out out driving around anyway...

I can see the headlines now "UPS HELPS CITY DIG OUT..."

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Have UPS help... Mount some plows on the front of package cars... They out out driving around anyway...

I can see the headlines now "UPS HELPS CITY DIG OUT..."

Just picked myself up on the floor from laughing, Lakeland. I needed that. Denver is desperately trying to dig itself out. I'm seeing the biiiiig front end loaders (don't know what they're called) creating these enormous piles of snow on side streets running east-west. I've seen this stunt pulled in Chicago's suburbs. By the way: my driver and I did close to or over 250 stops Monday (largely bulk stops) and over 500 pieces between deliveries and pickups. Anyone not working for UPS wanna talk more trash?:w00t: -Rocky.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Weather Bulletin -Colorado

Priceless. Think about this for a moment.

Denver News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of
Jefferson County after a snowstorm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic event---
may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a
historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that
broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in
lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut
power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.
No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5
snowstorm.

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo
Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a
penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered
it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a
mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes
for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this
early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 40
degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."
It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on.
Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does Not owe you a
living.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Denver is CAUGHT up!!! YAAAAAY!! My driver was singing he was so happy to have an EMPTY package car, a lunch to take AND pickups done at 5 p.m. My driver told me his center manager told drivers, "If you have a helper still working with you and they want a part-time job after this week, get their name and social security number so I can give it to HR." I'm weighing whether or not to accept any offer they make. I know the starting wage is pathetic, etc, etc. I need the health benefits they'd offer and the tuition aid doesn't hurt, either. So, we'll see. Regardless, it's been a pleasure and privilege to work with UPS drivers.:thumbup1: -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
Weather Bulletin -Colorado

Priceless. Think about this for a moment.

Denver News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of
Jefferson County after a snowstorm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic event---
may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a
historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that
broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in
lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut
power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.
No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5
snowstorm.

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo
Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a
penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered
it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a
mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes
for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this
early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 40
degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."
It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on.
Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does Not owe you a
living.

Great post. How true.

tieguy

Banned
Denver is CAUGHT up!!! YAAAAAY!! My driver was singing he was so happy to have an EMPTY package car, a lunch to take AND pickups done at 5 p.m. My driver told me his center manager told drivers, "If you have a helper still working with you and they want a part-time job after this week, get their name and social security number so I can give it to HR." I'm weighing whether or not to accept any offer they make. I know the starting wage is pathetic, etc, etc. I need the health benefits they'd offer and the tuition aid doesn't hurt, either. So, we'll see. Regardless, it's been a pleasure and privilege to work with UPS drivers.:thumbup1: -Rocky

I'd guess the outlying centers have at least a week to catch up to denver?