Sick Days

BootsOnTarmac

We have to have a doctors note if we call out sick on a Monday or Friday. :(

Doctors note request is an old school intimidation tactic. Ignore it. Just say to your manager your Doctor needs a company letterhead request before medical information can be released to a third party. Say HIPAA and the manager will just say: "welcome back, hope you feel better".

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Doctors note request is an old school intimidation tactic. Ignore it. Just say to your manager your Doctor needs a company letterhead request before medical information can be released to a third party. Say HIPAA and the manager will just say: "welcome back, hope you feel better".
I like that. Unfortunately they'll then tell us, no note, no pay.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
This is obviously ONE of managements' common abuses of policy, promulgated and encouraged by Memphis, that destroys any belief in the "system", and fosters mistrust.

Oldfart

This is obviously ONE of managements' common abuses of policy, promulgated and encouraged by Memphis, that destroys any belief in the "system", and fosters mistrust.
I hate the feeling of getting PROMULGATED. The medicine my doctor prescribes gives me gas.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I actually looked that one up in Policy Manual. It says management CAN ask for documentation. Up to their discretion.

I'm speaking from a legal standpoint, as in how the company's legal department would handle it. Is it policy? Yes. Is it a good use of policy as you've described it? Legal would, when pressed, very likely find that such an application of policy isn't consistent enough and doesn't fairly address the issue of abusing sick days.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I hate the feeling of getting PROMULGATED. The medicine my doctor prescribes gives me gas.
prom·ul·gate
ˈpräməlˌɡāt/
verb
  1. promote or make widely known (an idea or cause).
    "these objectives have to be promulgated within the organization"
    synonyms: make known, make public, publicize, spread, communicate, propagate, disseminate, broadcast, promote, preach.
Not sure if yours was an unsuccessful attempt at humor, or you don't own a dictionary.

Oldfart

prom·ul·gate
ˈpräməlˌɡāt/
verb
  1. promote or make widely known (an idea or cause).
    "these objectives have to be promulgated within the organization"
    synonyms: make known, make public, publicize, spread, communicate, propagate, disseminate, broadcast, promote, preach.
Not sure if yours was an unsuccessful attempt at humor, or you don't own a dictionary.
All I can say is WOW!!!

Whats in the Box

Yep. My manager marked a LWOP when I called in sick to take care of my sick son. Didn't find out til I opened and saw and shorted 8 hours on my paystub. From now on, I will not tell a reason.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
A Dr.'s note requirement for Friday/Monday absences should be utilized to discourage the ABUSE of taking a sick day. The fact that it isn't used for those situations should mean eliminating that requirement. The fact that we have no union representation means that it remains status quo. Civil disobedience in that regard remains the only alternative.