JMswap

Recently turned 21 and want to drive asap. Only open position is air driver. Should I pass and wait for 22.4, looking to get as many hours as possible. Any advice would be appreciated

JMswap

You’re 21 you got 40ish years left to work.

I really would recommend looking long and hard into the trades. It’s a much better option than backing yourself into ups forever.
I plan on driving for a year to see how like it then make a decision whether to stay or go into a trade

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It really just depends on what you want.
I would take the air position. Here the air driver jobs are dead and anything driving is high seniority so the idiots have to shove us through class and hope for the best. I'm turning out just fine, given the circumstances.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I really don't think any of the newbies are getting adequate training

To be an "On Road Supervisor".... ORS

You should have some experience in the job. Not reading bullet points, from a manual.

If that's how UPS wants to run their business....?

Have at it.

:biggrin:

The pay rate increases with every contract.

-Bug-

You should have some experience in the job. Not reading bullet points, from a manual.

Have at it.

-Bug-
Unfortunately we have too many 30 day wonders supervisors..

But if you don't know how to do the job please don't tell me how to do my job

542thruNthru

Have at it.

-Bug-
On roads here go to integrad and drive for 30 days. Though they are never given a full route because they just work it out with the dispatch sup.

JJinVA

Any union folks here correct me if Im wrong but, if he gets the air gig, and they put up a sheet next week for 22.4, it still goes by seniority, and if hes the most senior on the list, he gets the job right? Regardless if they just changed his job title a week before.

If thats the case Id say sign up for air and then sign up for 22.4 as soon as they post it. Youre young and will retire early if you can get in there as a full time driver. Just be smart with your Prudential account. If youre not sure how to set it up ask one of the financial gurus at your center to help you out. Someone who is obviously successful.

Any union folks here correct me if Im wrong but, if he gets the air gig, and they put up a sheet next week for 22.4, it still goes by seniority, and if hes the most senior on the list, he gets the job right? Regardless if they just changed his job title a week before.

If thats the case Id say sign up for air and then sign up for 22.4 as soon as they post it. Youre young and will retire early if you can get in there as a full time driver. Just be smart with your Prudential account. If youre not sure how to set it up ask one of the financial gurus at your center to help you out. Someone who is obviously successful.
They can not stop you from getting a better job.

JMswap

Already have that setup 👍