Signs of............. PEAK!!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was told last night that i may not work peak this year as a cover driver they are going to cut routes like 5 or more from are center :surprised: and he stated that out of 85 drivers from my center they are going to get 65 helpers

So with that said more helpers more stops and less drivers :sick:
Maybe gas will go down to $2 / gal.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So with that said more helpers more stops and less drivers :sick:

This has been the same fantasy that I.E. has chased for the last 20 years, and every year it runs headlong into the laws of both economics and geometry. They never seem to learn that (a) you cannot attract an adequate number of competent helpers when you are paying them minimum wage and (b) the best helper in the world cannot solve the problem of having to force 950 cubic feet of delivery volume into a p-700 package car.

BigBrownSanta

When I was punching out tonight, I noticed some bid sheets posted on the wall. 3 sheets of PT wanting to go FT fully filled out, 3 sheets of PTers wanting to work as helpers this year completely blank.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I was lucky enough to have a lot of time driving doubles and went to an interview for working in the sort at $8.50 per hour and turned it down just because of the low wage, but they asked me if I would want feeders and I took it. It was late in the season and I only got about 10 days work. They told me they would use me for vacations, but that never happened, so this year I may not return as I did it just to get extra cash throughout the year.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I am going back to the 1970's. As any old timer can tell you (upstate - 3 posts up!) .... things were different back then. Nobody came out to check on a 7 hour producer.

Put the blinders on and take care of the "real" problems. Remember the old saying.. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. I was not the manager back then!!!

First, I am an "old-timer." Thirty years next week.

Second, when his brother accompanied him was in the early 80's, and he did not touch a package.

Necropostophiliac

Let's face it, summers gone. And with that we have to start planning for the season we as UPSers love most of all. PEAK!!!

Already heard the big guy here is looking for CDL drivers in package to come on over to feeders for Peak. I took that offer last year, and ended up staying.

What have YOU seen in Peak planning so far this year?
I have already observed some planning and discussion about peak, what about you Over, what have you
seen in your area?

UPS Lifer

I have already observed some planning and discussion about peak, what about you Over, what have you
seen in your area?

Back in the early '80's, we actually did all the planning by hand. We started the process the first week of July. Each week from October to December, we would plot all the stops off the delivery records create the car load diagrams and begin the hiring of drivers and rentals. By late August we would have a meeting with the District Manager and your info had better be right! October 1 started peak and you usually started training Xmas drivers that week. Payrolls were done by hand. That was the good ole days. The top suits couldn't call a conference call first thing the next day because the data wasn't completely finalized.

Most areas don't even recognize peak until Super Weekend starts! It is all about the air.

texan

I was about to come in and yell at someone for digging up a 4 year old post but when I saw who the offender was......it's ok :haha:
Crazy thing is people are commenting on it.
Peak prep is occuring where I work, that is for sure.

texan

Back in the early '80's, we actually did all the planning by hand. We started the process the first week of July. Each week from October to December, we would plot all the stops off the delivery records create the car load diagrams and begin the hiring of drivers and rentals. By late August we would have a meeting with the District Manager and your info had better be right! October 1 started peak and you usually started training Xmas drivers that week. Payrolls were done by hand. That was the good ole days. The top suits couldn't call a conference call first thing the next day because the data wasn't completely finalized.

Most areas don't even recognize peak until Super Weekend starts! It is all about the air.

We are spolied now I guess.
No Excel spreedsheets and email back then.
What was it called, the communication in the mainframe? It was like Proffs in the
military? Ah SYSM if I remember correctly, but did they even have SYSM in the 80's?

I guess it was memo's duplicated on mimeographs?

I am not mocking, just trying to imagine peak planning, communication in the 80's.

UPS Lifer

We are spolied now I guess.
No Excel spreedsheets and email back then.
What was it called, the communication in the mainframe? It was like Proffs in the
military? Ah SYSM if I remember correctly, but did they even have SYSM in the 80's?

I guess it was memo's duplicated on mimeographs?

I am not mocking, just trying to imagine peak planning, communication in the 80's.

There was SYSM (Simple Yet Sophisticated Messaging) but, it was phased in. Managers had it and relayed the messages to the supervisors and drivers.

The other form of communication was division managers going to district office for a meeting and then come back and gather managers for a meeting or the district or IE manager called the division manager to relay communication. As the telephone equipment improved they held small conference calls through speaker phones. (Late 80s)

texan

There was SYSM (Simple Yet Sophisticated Messaging) but, it was phased in. Managers had it and relayed the messages to the supervisors and drivers.

The other form of communication was division managers going to district office for a meeting and then come back and gather managers for a meeting or the district or IE manager called the division manager to relay communication. As the telephone equipment improved they held small conference calls through speaker phones. (Late 80s)
A flashback for you:
IBMimages.jpg

texan

Ups seems to be planing for their first peak ever this year. I've never heard of it before.

I often think of other buisnesses peak.

Turkey farmers Oct and Nov must be interesting for them.
Candy buisness Feb and Oct
Pig farmers for March and April