Simple Hacks For Retirees. Financial Or Otherwise. "On Topic"

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Like that does any good. I doubt 1 vote has been changed by writing/phoning in, unless you give lots of money.
so just complain.......that's whats' great about this country. all whining and no action.

we had a dangerous intersection near our neighborhood where a 17 year old was killed. At first nothing was done about it. We got all the neighbors together and hounded our congressman until he finally did something about it. It was in the local paper.

BIG DEAL you will probably say. Well it was to us and to that family who lost that young man.

Change can happen if you decide you really want it.

Now go get your shine box

upschuck

so just complain.......that's whats' great about this country. all whining and no action.

we had a dangerous intersection near our neighborhood where a 17 year old was killed. At first nothing was done about it. We got all the neighbors together and hounded our congressman until he finally did something about it. It was in the local paper.

BIG DEAL you will probably say. Well it was to us and to that family who lost that young man.

Big difference between national and local governments.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
They are thinking of raising the RMD age from 72 to 75. depending on your health this would be good.

Luckily we were able to live on the pension 3 1/2 years before social security kicked in which is almost all gravy. The SS goes into mutual funds. We havent had to touch our 401k or IRA's yet in the last 6 years.

I know this may not be possible for some because of kids in college, medical emergencies , travel, home improvements , etc. However our retirements accounts have grown substantially .

This , of course , could change overnight.
How many times have you told this same story?
why do speak in the 3rd person?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

BOOM!!!
Frog just got owned by an old lady

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
In the news. Coming soon you will be able to buy an annuity with 401k funds for a regular monthly payment. Not sure if this is a good thing. Will have to do some homework on it.

We just planned doing minimum withdrawals starting at age 72. By then with SS, pension, our IRA accts also requiring a minimum withdrawal , it's gonna put us into a higher tax bracket. about 130-150k a year going by calculators.

beatupbrown

I will give a tip on annuities stay away from them; they keep changing the names of the different ones they all end up being heavy in fees, if you really want an annuity go with Vanguard by far the cheapest way to invest in an annuity. I would still avoid them you can do better with basic index benchmarks, ETF based on age and risk tolerance.

I was thrown into the fire of retirement early no pension from union. I managed to pick up how to invest took a few years. I invested in rental properties that was a great move there was some luck on the timing side after the 2008 crash a HUGE fire sale. Invested in physical gold too that ended up shooting all the way up to 2000 then fell back down sold it all bought another rental.

I still am learning new stuff all the time folks that get cocky thinking they have the answers will miss out the market is changing all the time I try to keep up.

Right know I am leaning towards EV stocks they were over bought then over sold the future will head that way just go long with a good FTF in the sector.

Wrapping this up ETFs and index funds, rentals are the safe way to go. I will take risky moves with I call crazy money i.e., small amounts in Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dogecoin. Dogecoin is really a total crap shot I put in $ 50.00. I am up 75% with all 3, they jump around a lot, look at in 10 years see what happened.

I will give a tip on annuities stay away from them; they keep changing the names of the different ones they all end up being heavy in fees, if you really want an annuity go with Vanguard by far the cheapest way to invest in an annuity. I would still avoid them you can do better with basic index benchmarks, ETF based on age and risk tolerance.

I was thrown into the fire of retirement early no pension from union. I managed to pick up how to invest took a few years. I invested in rental properties that was a great move there was some luck on the timing side after the 2008 crash a HUGE fire sale. Invested in physical gold too that ended up shooting all the way up to 2000 then fell back down sold it all bought another rental.

I still am learning new stuff all the time folks that get cocky thinking they have the answers will miss out the market is changing all the time I try to keep up.

Right know I am leaning towards EV stocks they were over bought then over sold the future will head that way just go long with a good FTF in the sector.

Wrapping this up ETFs and index funds, rentals are the safe way to go. I will take risky moves with I call crazy money i.e., small amounts in Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dogecoin. Dogecoin is really a total crap shot I put in $ 50.00. I am up 75% with all 3, they jump around a lot, look at in 10 years see what happened.
Annuities are never really good value but with the low interest rates right now they are a terrible value

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Yes, I agree with your assessment about annuities. I think you can do better just financing your self with index funds from Vanguard. We started years ago with Vanguard index funds probably 15 years AFTER the 401k with UPS and our growth has been MUCH better than the 401k.
The index funds ( 5-6 different index sectors ) account may surpass the 401k in a couple years.

You brought up a very good point on diversification. We don't have rentals as it is much hands on and dealing with people. Several drivers at out hub have done that with very good success. I invest in REIT index funds about 10%. .Plus our home so that is a big chunk . Same with precious metals index funds. About 10%.

Even though we are in our 60's we only have a small percentage in bonds, contrary to popular opinion where it says we should be more heavily invested in bonds. With our home paid off and a good cash cushion we are willing to stake more funds in equities and so far it has worked out well.

Sure the market could tank and take 10 years to recover but we are willing to risk it. Maybe in our 70's we will become more conservative. When equities tank other sectors go up and that is why diversification is so important.

beatupbrown

Yes, I agree with your assessment about annuities. I think you can do better just financing your self with index funds from Vanguard. We started years ago with Vanguard index funds probably 15 years AFTER the 401k with UPS and our growth has been MUCH better than the 401k.
The index funds ( 5-6 different index sectors ) account may surpass the 401k in a couple years.

You brought up a very good point on diversification. We don't have rentals as it is much hands on and dealing with people. Several drivers at out hub have done that with very good success. I invest in REIT index funds about 10%. .Plus our home so that is a big chunk . Same with precious metals index funds. About 10%.

Even though we are in our 60's we only have a small percentage in bonds, contrary to popular opinion where it says we should be more heavily invested in bonds. With our home paid off and a good cash cushion we are willing to stake more funds in equities and so far it has worked out well.

Sure the market could tank and take 10 years to recover but we are willing to risk it. Maybe in our 70's we will become more conservative. When equities tank other sectors go up and that is why diversification is so important.
REIT is a good way to expose yourself to that Real-Estate without having to get personally involved.

I self-mange all my properties I have the knack for it, all but one is paid off.

I sold my 401-k, UPS stock and the gold after 2008 and other monies that came in that time frame to achieve my goal of buying rentals. UPS stock finally kicked into high gear from the internet explosion mainly from Amazon. UPS would have been a good stock to keep.

COVID-19 and the march 2020 stock market crash made me get back into the market, it worked out well, few stocks I did not pick right like BABA China stomped on it! I did get back into UPS, RR stocks others in that sector, with an ETF, IYT up 60% since the March bottom.

You bring up another good point in your 60s but still aggressive growth model of investing well done.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have about 10% of my 401k in stocks. mainly blue chips like Johnson and Johnson and AT&T mainly for the yields. Harley Davidson because I have a Harley LOL. I think that tanked. Home Depot which has really come on because of covid. Netflix which has increased 3000 plus % in last 10 years . That's a big winner. Reasom I got that is because have a family member who works there.
Most of the individual stocks were purchased for their yields. Their dividends are reinvested but at the same time it's like they are paying for our gasoline, phone, utilities etc.

Our best investment has been the house. Value has gone up over 700% but we plan on staying in it so not going to help there but it is nice being that is paid off.Only expense is maintenance and property taxes.

beatupbrown

I bought into ETF SMH up close 100% bounces around that number it's sector is semiconductor ,my top ETF's are IPAY ,IWM,IEHS,DTEC, GNOM ,PRINT ,SMOG, few more rest are stocks .My top stock is TSEM a 5G play up 100% I bought in all in after the Covid dive March 2020 .I really like QQQ index fund .
I like your dividends stocks bought in to VIG,SCHID , both dividend funds .I really like the fact I read up on the topic try to stay ahead of the curve .
My rental houses paid for my kids college now pay for little stock buying,personal house remodel .All my rentals are up around 100% one over 200% my home I live in is paid off almost all gutted still gutting my way up to the last 2 bedrooms .I too plan on staying in it for the long haul .
You have your personal home up 700% !! never seen that I have read about some home runs .

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I bought into ETF SMH up close 100% bounces around that number it's sector is semiconductor ,my top ETF's are IPAY ,IWM,IEHS,DTEC, GNOM ,PRINT ,SMOG, few more rest are stocks .My top stock is TSEM a 5G play up 100% I bought in all in after the Covid dive March 2020 .I really like QQQ index fund .
I like your dividends stocks bought in to VIG,SCHID , both dividend funds .I really like the fact I read up on the topic try to stay ahead of the curve .
My rental houses paid for my kids college now pay for little stock buying,personal house remodel .All my rentals are up around 100% one over 200% my home I live in is paid off almost all gutted still gutting my way up to the last 2 bedrooms .I too plan on staying in it for the long haul .
You have your personal home up 700% !! never seen that I have read about some home runs .
That 7 times is over a 25 year period. We live near Lake Tahoe and it is almost the same for everyone. Bay area people moving in that can work remotely due to covid buying up houses with 100% cash.

it's crazy. a lot of people are selling out and moving to other western states.

MrWonderful

Annuities are never really good value but with the low interest rates right now they are a terrible value
Better than CD rates. Would you rather get .25% from CD or 1.65% from annuity? Fixed annuities are like CDs. The only thing is that in annuities you can’t take the money out without penalty until 59.5.