Sit Down Before Reading The New Health Plan

MassWineGuy

I just read the online brief on the 2020 FedEx medical plan. Monthly premium will rise 10 percent. Deductibles will also increase. But the most absolute and truly disgusting move is that if your spouse works and can get health coverage through their job, you’ll pay a surcharge of $150 a month.

This removes all the veneer FedEx ever had about caring for its people.

CJinx

Pretty much standard across the board elsewhere, including the last part. Not surcharging employees for their spouse forgoing their employer's insurance was something that really set Fedex apart and it is unfortunate to see that go. Also not cool that they eliminated out of network coverage. :(

Also if you fall in the category of "spouse works but is not offered/eligible for their employer's insurance" make sure to declare that during the open enrollment period. If you make no changes, they will automatically charge $150 a month and there will be no refunds!

Be smart and definitely go over your declarations for next year's benefits with a fine tooth comb.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
A FYI to everyone.... Be really careful now if you have to have anything done at a hospital. The hospital may be in-network but the doctors might be out of network, meaning you’ll have to pay out of network rates for them. It’s going to suck if someone is admitted to a hospital in an emergency and gets those surprise doctor’s bills they thought were going to be taken care of by FedEx. PSP....

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I just read the online brief on the 2020 FedEx medical plan. Monthly premium will rise 10 percent. Deductibles will also increase. But the most absolute and truly disgusting move is that if your spouse works and can get health coverage through their job, you’ll pay a surcharge of $150 a month.

The alternative was to add a surcharge for all spouses. Opted for this measure because it wouldn't penalize a family whose only insurance comes from FedEx.

DeliveryException

I'm pretty sure I get penalized having my wife on the insurance already. It's cheap for myself and even with the kiddo, but add the wife and the rate jumps way up.

MassWineGuy

My understanding is that if someone doesn’t admit they have other insurance, there’s no legal way to learn they do. Thankfully, my wife doesn’t work the minimum number of hours to qualify for her company plan.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Please go into more detail.

My understanding is that if someone doesn’t admit they have other insurance, there’s no legal way to learn they do.

The provider would be overpaid and that assumes that the insurance companies' coordination of benefits hounds don't sniff it out before then. Some insurance companies (all?) require that you tell them if you are covered by another policy; not being honest could get you into some legal trouble.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The provider would be overpaid and that assumes that the insurance companies' coordination of benefits hounds don't sniff it out before then. Some insurance companies (all?) require that you tell them if you are covered by another policy; not being honest could get you into some legal trouble.
Aka insurance fraud.

Indecisi0n

A FYI to everyone.... Be really careful now if you have to have anything done at a hospital. The hospital may be in-network but the doctors might be out of network, meaning you’ll have to pay out of network rates for them. It’s going to suck if someone is admitted to a hospital in an emergency and gets those surprise doctor’s bills they thought were going to be taken care of by FedEx. PSP....
Wtf ...

bacha29

Does this truly mean that if you’re traveling and need an E.R. or a doctor I have to keep bleeding until I find someone in network?
Pretty much unless they have a reciprocal agreement with that other provider. You what I think's the driver behind all this? Ground contractors are not known to offer much in the way of healthcare benefits and some none at all. Don't think for a minute that Fat Freddy doesn't see that and ask himself if he could over time eliminate the express healthcare plan . And given that you're non union there's nothing standing in the way of him doing so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It sounds like someone is seeing the light. Go ahead and take off the rose-colored glasses now.