Sleep apnea

My wife is convinced I have sleep apnea. My question is if I do the sleep study and do in fact have it is there a possibility I will not be able to work? I’ve done some research and nothing is crystal clear. Anyone here have this condition?
I’m a RPCD by the way. Thanks

Rack em

Made the Podium
My wife is convinced I have sleep apnea. My question is if I do the sleep study and do in fact have it is there a possibility I will not be able to work? I’ve done some research and nothing is crystal clear. Anyone here have this condition?
You'll have to report you have sleep apnea for your DOT physical every two years. That alone won't keep you from passing a physical, but I don't know how big of a factor it is.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You’ve done the research? Use the machine 4+ hours 5 nights a week and you’re good to go.

542thruNthru

If you do the sleep study before a DOT medical examiner tells you to. Then you'll be fine. It will also allow you to get used to the Cpap and find out what face cover works for you.

If you wait till a DOT ME tells you to take a sleep study you maybe be out of work until you're in compliance.

They will give you a 90 dot card and in those 90 days you have to set up a appointment and then take a sleep study. Then when you get the machine you'll have to be on it for 30days showing regular usage (I believe 70%) before they will give you a new card.

Issue is in some areas it takes a month or so to get a appointment and then you could run out of your 90day extension if you don't get the Cpap in time or if you can't get used to it. You only get one extension also.

quad decade guy

If you do the sleep study before a DOT medical examiner tells you to. Then you'll be fine. It will also allow you to get used to the Cpap and find out what face cover works for you.

If you wait till a DOT ME tells you to take a sleep study you maybe be out of work until you're in compliance.

They will give you a 90 dot card and in those 90 days you have to set up a appointment and then take a sleep study. Then when you get the machine you'll have to be on it for 30days showing regular usage (I believe 70%) before they will give you a new card.

Issue is in some areas it takes a month or so to get a appointment and then you could run out of your 90day extension if you don't get the Cpap in time or if you can't get used to it. You only get one extension also.
Perfect advice. I'll only add that hiding or avoiding ANY medical condition is STUPID AND DANGEROUS. Consider: what will your life be like if you have a stroke or heart attack?

burco8080

i have sleep apnea i use the c pact every night you will still pass your dot but you will have yo do it yearly same with high blood pressure the study is no big deal

Brownslave688

They gave me a 90 day and then a 30 day. It took like 80 days to go through everything and get my machine.

Brownslave688

This is why you have a family doctor. Don't wait until it's too late.You know if you are fat, snore, smoke etc. How you feel etc.
Lol have a family doctor it was never suspected. My wife is in the medical field. Said there’s no way you have it. She sleeps 2 feet from me every night I didn’t snore very much.

You just keep pretending you know it all though. While you spend your whole life in the cab of a semi with no end game in sight.