Sleep apnea

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My wife is convinced I have sleep apnea. My question is if I do the sleep study and do in fact have it is there a possibility I will not be able to work? I’ve done some research and nothing is crystal clear. Anyone here have this condition?
I’m a RPCD by the way. Thanks

If the cpap doesn't work for you, or you like camping and being able to sleep where there's no electricity, they have dental appliances for sleep apnea as well. Also, don't sleep on your back or stomach. Side sleeping is the only way to go.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If the cpap doesn't work for you, or you like camping and being able to sleep where there's no electricity, they have dental appliances for sleep apnea as well. Also, don't sleep on your back or stomach. Side sleeping is the only way to go.

The issue with DOT is I think only cpap is approved.

Drink Craft Beer

If a doctor issues you a C-PAP machine, the insurance will pay for it, but you have to use it. There's a chip inside the machine where the insurance can tell if you're using it or not. I think after about 4mos. or so, they quit monitoring it.

It helped me tremendously. I remember waking up realizing that I just slept 6hrs straight w/o waking up. Freaked me out.

Brownslave688

If a doctor issues you a C-PAP machine, the insurance will pay for it, but you have to use it. There's a chip inside the machine where the insurance can tell if you're using it or not. I think after about 4mos. or so, they quit monitoring it.

It helped me tremendously. I remember waking up realizing that I just slept 6hrs straight w/o waking up. Freaked me out.
They may quit monitoring it but you still have to bring proof that you’re using it to your DOT appointment with you.

Brownslave688

I don't have to do DOT appts so I know nothing about that part.

Once he gets use to it and sees and feels the benefits from it, he'll never not want to wear it.
Yeah it takes awhile. I remember first couple months. I’d wake up at 3.5 hours and lay awake until I hit 4 hours then rip it off.

Drink Craft Beer

It monitors leakage and stuff. So yeah it knows it you have it on.
At first, I was worried if it was properly sealed ( sad and happy face pics tell you if you're getting a good seal or not) and kept checking the monitor to see. Ended up losing sleep. Plus, when it's completely sealed, I'd have trouble exhaling all the air I had breathed in. So I just said hell with it and wore a little loose to air could escape better when exhaling. I never heard from them about not having properly sealed.

It might have to do more with the actual inhaling and exhaling than it is does leakage when it comes to how they can tell if you're using it or not. Of course I'm merely speculating on how they can tell if you're using it other than just going by... "it's running so he must be using it"

Brownslave688

At first, I was worried if it was properly sealed ( sad and happy face pics tell you if you're getting a good seal or not) and kept checking the monitor to see. Ended up losing sleep. Plus, when it's completely sealed, I'd have trouble exhaling all the air I had breathed in. So I just said hell with it and wore a little loose to air could escape better when exhaling. I never heard from them about not having properly sealed.

It might have to do more with the actual inhaling and exhaling than it is does leakage when it comes to how they can tell if you're using it or not. Of course I'm merely speculating on how they can tell if you're using it other than just going by... "it's running so he must be using it"

Well it measures leakage in liters so it should know the difference in not sealed great and not being worn at all

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got diagnosed with sleep apnea about five years ago and have been on a C-PAP machine ever since. You do have to wear it if you want a DOT Card. The custom mouth appliances or the new implant are not recognized by the DOT as treatments. You need to schedule appointments with a Pulmonary Doctor early around here, they are hard to see. You need to carry the memory card from the C-PAP to him so he can read it and write a compliance letter showing use before renewing your DOT card.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My wife is convinced I have sleep apnea. My question is if I do the sleep study and do in fact have it is there a possibility I will not be able to work? I’ve done some research and nothing is crystal clear. Anyone here have this condition?
I’m a RPCD by the way. Thanks
I have sleep apnea.
How it works is, when I go in for my DOT physical, I bring a readout from my CPAP machine to prove that I have been using it. Some of the machines have a SIM card you can bring, for others (like mine) you call your medical provider and they mail you a printout.
If you think you have apnea, and your DOT card expires soon, I would wait to get diagnosed until after you get your card renewed, that will give you plenty of time to get used to your CPAP machine before your next physical.